Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to paint my solo seat since it had some scuffs and scratches...my question is, do I need to prime it?

It has already been painted and I sanded it down with some 400 grit sandpaper...do I really need to prime it or can I just shoot the paint on top of the sanded paint?

The color is just Graphite Black....

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Primer helps your new paint to stick to the part...

Next step after sanding is primer if you want a job that is gonna last...

If you wanna go cheap, rattle can spray and no primer, but it will start to peel off sooner or later..

You can also get good primer in rattle can spray.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Primer helps your new paint to stick to the part...

Next step after sanding is primer if you want a job that is gonna last...

If you wanna go cheap, rattle can spray and no primer, but it will start to peel off sooner or later..

You can also get good primer in rattle can spray.
Ok, let's be clear on this.

First of all, he isn't trying to stick paint to the "part", he has scuffed up the original paint, and as long as their compatible you can shoot paint. No primer needed.

Second of all, rattle cans contain PAINT. The fact that it comes out of a rattle can has NOTHING to do with the end result. That's all about prep. I shoot $5,000.00 guitars with rattle cans. Amazing, they never peel later. Proper prep, and wet sanding and polishing can get you results like these.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't get those finishings and colours out of any standard rattle can...

You have several qualities of rattle can... Colo rite for example is top notch, when when people refer to rattle can spray they normally mean going to any store and getting the colour they want, cheapest possible.

As for the primer, OP says the part is sanded, we don't know if he removed the paint completely or not... In any of those cases, primer is not gonna be a big investment in money or time and it won't do any harm.

Also, it is not the same painting over wood than PVC or fiber... You can actually find specific primers for each material, also different paints.

BTW that green strato looks amazing I love it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts