Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was just wondering if i wanted to do a custom color for my bike, is it possible to paint the stock fairings? is it anything like painting a car (which has metal to be sanded, instead of plastic)? same process, sand everything down then go to town with air brush? anyone have any experiences painting bike fairings? i plan on doing this myself, and it will be one solid color, not a lot of fancy art work or anything. due to some recent rash and the high cost of fairings it's not worth it to buy new ones, since im probably gonna drop it again (this is the 1st bike ive ever owned). but any tips, links, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lol come on dont leave me in the cold everyone.. im sure someone knows what im talking about... no comments? oh yea BUMP btw.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I say just sand the bike down were the rash is. Start with a 320 and work to 3000 wet. This will leave a dull spot, but it will be smooth. Ride it all summer, then at the end of the season, get the bike painted after you have some more experience. Expect repairs and paint to cost you at least $800. More if you want a "great" job. I know of one bike painter in your area, but $$$.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea see im not going for a head turner.. see i am a new rider i know this is gonna sound pretty ignorant but i plan on moving mroe and more towards solely track riding as the new season starts up around here, and im only gonna go for something that gets the job done.. we know a guy who custom built his chopper with an asphalt color, no clear coat, that looked really sweet.. and were thinking thats what were gonna do.. and plus i think ive seen 4 other yellow RR's on a few daily commutes, and i bought the yellow to stand out, not blend in with the rest of them... :roll: ... but yea, just something real plain, conservative, and unique is what were going for, no restoration. i know the process of sanding pretty well, but when you want to paint a car you got to get some good ole airplane paint stripper or whatever that stuff (did i say stuff, i meant nuclear waste) that strips off paint.. but im pretty sure that stuff would rip right through our plastics.. does anyone have any ideas?? i know an option is to buy some primer race bodywork, but like i said its gonna be a somewhat daily drive, and that means i need headlights.. any other ideas anyone???

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't put any paint stripper on, definately not. You can just sand the stock fairings down until it's smooth if the rash is not too bad. Start with like a 180 grit paper and then 400 grit after that. If you are going to repaint it yellow or another transparent color (basically anything other than black) then you should primer it before you paint because the the OEM stuff is black under the paint and it will show through the paint until you get enough coats on it to cover it, and it will take a lot of coats. After you get it primered, wet sand it with either 400 grit or 600 grit. Don't use anything more coarse than 400 grit or the sanding scratches will show up in your paintjob.

Do you have a gun and compressor? If so, painting it is not too difficult, like everything else it just takes practice. Be sure to to let it dry completely and wipe it down with a surface prep solvent immediately before painting. It is also good to wipe it down with a tack rag after the solvent. This will remove any contamination from the surface that may cause flaws such as "fish eyes" in the paint. After you wipe it with solvent, be VERY CAREFUL not to touch it with you hands. The oils and dirt on your fingers can cause "fish eyes". Take your time and apply even light coats until you get the hang of it. If you don't like it....wet sand it again and paint some more. It will take a little practice before you get the hang of it. Just don't try to rush or apply too much paint at one time or you will have runs in the paint.

There's my crash course. Give me pics when you get it done and that will be your final grade for the semester....good luck on the "A+". :lol2:

Professor Pilot

·
Registered
379 Posts
They are right on with sanding down the rash marks. Depending on how bad they are, if they aren't all the way through or really really deep groves you should be able to get them out. I would also scuff up the rest of the fairings using a scotch brite pad so that the paint sticks better. You are also going to want to remove all the decals and everything of course before you paint. Using a heat gun but making sure not to keep it in one spot so you dont' warp the plastic, you will also need a plastic raazor blade for it. I don't know if you are familar with the paint code for this bike, but it is kind of tricky. Since there is pearl in it, they had a couple of options but they chose the hardest one. If yuo know anything about painting it is a Tri-Coat. If you then don't listen to what i am saying, but therefore it has a base coat a mid and top. Base coat for this is white. The only thing is the odds of you getting this to match the rest of the bike bad enogh if you just painted a section on teh fairing is doubtful, that is why i reccommend repainting the whole fairing. hope some of that was useful. good luck :bounce:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoppyjon91,

i was probably gonna go more track, so if the rash does show it's fine with me... i just wanted to know how/if its possible to repaint the ENTIRE bike myself.. will i have to go through and sand down every square inch of plastic on my bike? there has to be a more efficient way and im sure someone on here knows how... lets hear it... BUMP btw :mrgreen:

·
Registered
892 Posts
if you have rash, there is only one way to fix it. There is however one say to avoid doing all that work.... buy a new one. otherwise, you'll have to put in the time.

You can repaint the bike yourself. you can do it with rattle cans too, if you need help send me a message. I'll help you for sure.

....."more efficient way"... to fill rash? if you find it, let me know. I'm always trying to find a faster way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts