Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of the black lowers on the yellow RR. I know some out there have done this, just wondering where and about how much it cost..Thanks all...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the black paint I used for the windscreen (Fusion)....I wonder if that would be better???
How about primer?...
When did you sand Mabbot???

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just did mine this weekend. I used the same Krylon Fusion that you used for your windscreen. I sanded with 400 then 600 for prep, then 600 between coats. I also used a Krylon Satin(flat) clear coat because the color doesn't match exactly. With the flat clear coat it matches the frame and side covers almost perfectly. The trick with this clear coat is to back away from the peice your painting about 18 inches and spray in a random motion. The piece will start to get a greyish tone to it when you do this. After it dries for about ten minutes, wipe it down lightly with a dry rag, and all the grey "dust"(don't know how elese to describe it) will wipe away leaving a satin finish. I love the way mine turned out, as the black just wasn't a close enough match for my taste. If anyone is interested and needs help with this, let me know. I'll be happy to give any advice I can. Here are some ok pics of my lowers without decals. I have decals that I'll be picking up tomorrow. I'll post new pics when i get em.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your lucky it's its not yellow... I had mine painted for 75$, he told me if it would have been some one else it would have cost $350 ..... But then again, mine is the rare and faster yellow :D

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
sideout said:
I have the black paint I used for the windscreen (Fusion)....I wonder if that would be better???
How about primer?...
When did you sand Mabbot???
I used Krylon fusion gloss paint. Then I wet sanded it to make sure the surface was completly flat and then did another coat. Then I Used a high gloss clear coat by Krylon to make it really shine and it looks like glass.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....Did you do any more saning after the first one???
And that was wet sanding..right?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
yes wetsanding. Using waterproof sand paper where you get the fairings and paper wet then you sand it down so it's noce and flat and all the little bumps or overspray or whatever comes out. I jsut wet sanded once but you haveto wait a day after you paint so that the paint is dry before you wetsand.

·
Registered
243 Posts
DO NOT mix paint brands :!: For instance, if you start with Krylon paint...use Krylon clear. Otherwise it may wrinkle....I know from experience! I think Marshall had this happen to him too!

_______RED RR_______
Vinci carbon fiber exhaust
Galfer SS lines
Tomahawk-black
Motul E-Tech 100% synthetic
OEM seat cowl

"The BITTERNESS of poor quality remains long after the SWEETNESS of a cheap price is forgotten!"

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
2X80MPH said:
DO NOT mix paint brands :!: For instance, if you start with Krylon paint...use Krylon clear. Otherwise it may wrinkle....I know from experience! I think Marshall had this happen to him too!

_______RED RR_______
Vinci carbon fiber exhaust
Galfer SS lines
Tomahawk-black
Motul E-Tech 100% synthetic
OEM seat cowl

"The BITTERNESS of poor quality remains long after the SWEETNESS of a cheap price is forgotten!"
Yes I did but it was the same brand. It was home depot paint. Not krylon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
OK! explain this to me like a two year old. 1st i sand 2nd then i coat 3rd litely sand 4th add another coat let dry then 5th add clearcoat?

sorry the whole sand things got me going crazy :bitchslap:

i order the colorite paint for an exact match o they say!

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Here's a pic of my lowers. I'm going to get some Red honda stickers to add to them. But this is what they look like now. As you can see they are damn shinny. Look at that reflection!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fast 600...I will send you the info that Marshall and other sent me....Give me till tonight..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
VinRR,Thanks for the compliment.
FAST600, You have it basically right. In simple terms sand for prep, spray color, sand smooth(if needed), spray clear. You only need to sand between coats if the finish is not smooth enough. It should look like a mirror and not like an orange peel(bumpy looking). Wet sanding is easy. Just take your time. It is better to sand a little, and then realize you need to sand some more than it is to sand too much, and have to paint over. Also be careful sanding the edges. It doesn't take as much pressure to sand through the paint on an edge.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts