Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think someone weighed it before and it was maybe around 1lb or so. Not really much for a street rider, but for someone chasing down every bit of weight for a track bike it's probably worth it to them. I did mine just because I was working in that area anyways and figured it would be easier when I go to get tuned.
Same here, i was it the area. It was a fun project.:icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Instead of getting some block off plates i'm about to just use a tap and a couple bolts and close off the valves like that. Does anyone have any reason why this could be a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
only thing i can think of is that metal chips may go into the hole when they chip off in order to create the threads...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
what did you do with the electrical connector/sensor that connects to the pair valve unit? just leave it hanging or tie it somewhere?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Either way is fine. I think I just left mine hanging but tucked away from things.

·
Registered
260 Posts
like cnk said,you can leave it hanging. i actually zipped tied mine to a set of wires that was next to it. if you would like i can take a pic and post it up. when i did this i also removed the entire charcoal canister and smog stuff from the bike. i used the guide that is posted on another site.

!!be warned. to get the canister out, you must remove the rear shock. also! when you put vacuum plugs on the throttle bodies, (i believe the are a 1/8th) you must have the air box removed!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
like cnk said,you can leave it hanging. i actually zipped tied mine to a set of wires that was next to it. if you would like i can take a pic and post it up. when i did this i also removed the entire charcoal canister and smog stuff from the bike. i used the guide that is posted on another site.

!!be warned. to get the canister out, you must remove the rear shock. also! when you put vacuum plugs on the throttle bodies, (i believe the are a 1/8th) you must have the air box removed!![/quote]

you don't need to put caps on the throttle bodies. all that's really necessary is to cap off the large hose which is the one that sucks fuel/air into the engine from the cannister. i used an old brake caliper banjo bolt and a zip tie. the smaller hose can be left open since it's just a breather.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the write up, it worked out very well.
It wasn't very difficult, just take your time and you'll be fine.

I also put my BMC air filter in and PC3, now the only problem now though is I'm gettin an FI error code of 2 refering to the MAP vacuum line or bad MAP sensor. I hooked up the small hose to the air box and the connector to the sensor. Going to go back and recheck the hose and the sensor connection.

After doing some searching, I'm going to check make sure there are no pinches in the hose.
Go search function!

UPDATE: The hose to the MAP Sensor was pinched...gotta love that search function.
Thanks to all who contributed to this how to.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi guys,

Is it possible to disable PAIR by blocking the hoses, or by blocking the airbox hose AND connecting the 2 PAIR inlets (the ones the blanking plates cover up) to each other using just one hose?

Do you have to remove the reeds or is this not crucial?

Many, many thanks :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
i'm about to undergo this job in the next week... i'm still not sure how i'm going to seal off the airbox hole there... anyone else done this and have any idea what i should be doing ?

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
i too am going to do this soon, (i already have the plates in hand), and i too would also like to know what everyone has used to plug/cap off the hole on the air box? where did you buy it for and what it is? any help would greatly be apprecitaed. thank you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i'm about to undergo this job in the next week... i'm still not sure how i'm going to seal off the airbox hole there... anyone else done this and have any idea what i should be doing ?
i too am going to do this soon, (i already have the plates in hand), and i too would also like to know what everyone has used to plug/cap off the hole on the air box? where did you buy it for and what it is? any help would greatly be apprecitaed. thank you.
I used a replacement rubber cane tip which I got from a local hardware store.
I just took the airbox with me and tried a few of the sizes out, since they were sold in bulk.
I secured it on the airbox tube using a ziptie.

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
I used a replacement rubber cane tip which I got from a local hardware store.
I just took the airbox with me and tried a few of the sizes out, since they were sold in bulk.
I secured it on the airbox tube using a ziptie.
do you remember witch harware store... lowe's, homedepot?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
So to clarify.. If I wanted to just disable the PAIR for tuning purposes, I could just seal the hoses attached to each side of the airbox and call it a day? Without doing any of the other things or trying to lose the 1lb? And this wont set off any lights or harm anything, even if I leave them plugged for AFM module?

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
i finally did this mod. thanks for the awesome write up paul. and thanks to all that contributed.
i also found the plug for the airbox. i got it at advanced auto, for about $3. heres a pic. (just in case other ppl out there were in the same boat i was prior to the project.)

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
as far as i know your correct. but why go through all that trouble just to clamp them off when you can remove it all together? your in that area anyways. if you don't want to buy the aftermarket plates you can always just leave the stock pair plates and use the plugs that i posted to plug up all the holes. if your gonna tune your bike with the pair system disabled, why not just permenantly make your bike like that? and shed a 1lb of dead weight.
So to clarify.. If I wanted to just disable the PAIR for tuning purposes, I could just seal the hoses attached to each side of the airbox and call it a day? Without doing any of the other things or trying to lose the 1lb? And this wont set off any lights or harm anything, even if I leave them plugged for AFM module?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Thanks for the response. I hear what you are saying about disabling it, but I dont want to permanently do it yet.

I might try the marble trick someone posted before. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
362 Posts
do you remember witch harware store... lowe's, homedepot?
Sorry for not getting back to you.
I got it from a "Do It Best", was like $0.59.
The one you got from Advance Auto looks like it would fit better.

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
has anyone done this mod and noticed a drastic change in mgpg's? i just did this mod over the weekend and finally got the chance to ride the bike around. from yesterday to today i put on about 65 miles and now i'm at half a tank. i was at almost full, -1 fuel bar showed, before i rode yesterday and like i said its at half now. any ideals? cuz i know this is not normal, i should have alot more miles at half a tank. please help.
i should add that i also did the DIY v-stacks at the same time.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts