Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it that important to pull the reeds and baffles out or can you just seal the blockoffs and be good with that???

·
Registered
269 Posts
i am doing this during my long holiday vacation. Just picked up a Leo - Ti - sbk- Corsa full system with Bazzaz unit & AFM unit....

Actually may sell the Bazzaz fueler and get the one with the shifter... Maybe...

Cant wait to Get'er done!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kind of an old thread but I'm just now getting around to doing this mod really soon. I want to have everything I need on hand before I get started on it. Do you, or does anyone else know the exact size of cap I'll need to cap off the airbox where the PAIR hose was removed?

Excellent write-up BTW!! Very Helpful!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great write up. Props to the OP. However, I can only see this being advantagious to racers on the track. If plugging the center line does the same thing, then why not just plug the line? Seems like it would only take a few minutes, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything. Also, you could easily put it back to stock if you wanted to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Long delay between posts, but Iharell, it takes a little more than a "few minutes" to remove ALL plastics from the bike to access the airbox. Some might find it very advantageous to just go the whole 9 yards and save the weight while they're at it...

Great write up... as stated above, you choose which way you want to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And, I'm being lazy but am just going to plug the air box side of the breather tube from INSIDE the airbox. That way I don't have to completely remove the box (just the lid) to block off the entry way to the breather.

·
Registered
697 Posts
eh the really lazy way is to get in there and spray a bunch of liquid foam up in there. expands and closes it off. lol

good write-up i'm just still debating whether i need to do this at all...if it'll make any difference

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, I just did the mod on both our race bikes. I removed the airboxs so while I was in there I could install the HRC throttle on the "B" bike ( now I have a brand new in the box MP Revolver kit that I am not going to use) and remove the thermostats and bypass hoses. The end plug size you will need for the airbox is 5/8" (same for the bypass hose spigots) and can be had at just about any auto parts store. I wanted to replace the airfilters while I was in there, but the new K&N race filters are on back-order from PU. Thanks for the writeup! Tdub

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great write up! Helps me out so much more.

There was a post that replied what the pair mod is for, I needed that!
Since it is for helping with tuning the bike and only stops unnessary are flow that can make tunning inaccurate, is there any benefit or gain to this if you do not have a PC3 and will it hurt if I do not have a PC?

Where can i find the block off plates in Europe ?
Not sure, but where can I find girl like the one in your avatar in the U.S.?
All I ever see in my town are fat or stick girls. lol Dang I need to move!

·
Registered
86 Posts
None other than a very slight weight degrease. Does not change anything that would harm your motor. Tdub
Thanks for the info Tdub.

Ride safe

·
Registered
233 Posts
i did this mod last year. if you don't care about the 1lb weight savings just put a cap on this tube and save yourself the trouble.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i did this mod last year. if you don't care about the 1lb weight savings just put a cap on this tube and save yourself the trouble.

Wait, if you want to go the easy route, don't you need THREE plugs?

From the PAIR solenoid, there are three pipes coming from it. At least, that's how it was on the 03...

·
Registered
140 Posts
PAIR removal

You should pull the whole PAIR system out... a pound is a pound they all add up - from stock to track build my bike lost 22lbs w/o track bodywork yet.

Anyone have an issue with an FI error code? I want to eliminate all possible causes cause I'm struggling with an (2-1) flash FI light ( HONDA Service Manual says: Bad Map sensor/pinched or plugged hose or lastly bad [hope not] ECU)

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I'm half way through this. Good writeup. Had a little trouble removing the lower tub; you really do have to pull out only the front part, so the tub rotates about 70 degrees upwards. There are two small plastic clips that hold the tub in place at the back; make sure these are not hung up. For the sensor/thermostat hose, I undid it by pulling the tub up just far enough to squeeze my hand through the opening, then using a stubby flat head screwdriver as a wedge to pry the hose off. (That will be fun to put back on.)

For the breather hoses on either side, I found a flathead screwdriver worked well to push those metal wires down the hose far enough to pull the hose free.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Wow, what a pain. For non-mechanics like me who are doing this first time, figure for 2 six hour blocks as you wrestle with everything without breaking something.

Trying to put this bicth back together now, just busted the map sensor clean off. Getting that lower tub back into place is a nightmare. Hard enough to get the rubber air guide to fit into the holes on the frame. You're gonna have to bend the plastic quite a bit to get it to squeeze into place.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just crossed 12k miles and am going to be swapping the air filter out as soon as it gets here (I know, I wasn't paying attention to my mileage, otherwise I would have ordered earlier and done this on/before 12k miles). Since I have to pull the upper part of the airbox out for the air filter, I figured I'd go the extra mile for the PAIR removal.

Anyhow, first off, thanks for the write up guys; I read through the whole thread and there is a lot of great information on what is needed/recommended (block-off plates, 5/8" vacuum cap, etc). I do have a few questions though:

Dan Kyle has them, you can give him a call, this is from his site.
Telephone (831) 394-1330
(866) 667-4925 Toll Free
This post is fairly old; does Dan still make the plates or do I have to go to OPP Racing as recommended by gotama above? I'd rather get the ones from Dan (for $10 less) and not have OPP's logo on my bike (even if you can't see it, I just don't like it).

EDIT: Nevermind on this one; I called and they can be ordered directly from Kyle Racing here: http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product.sc?productId=106&categoryId=115 About $7 less than OPP.

has anyone done this mod and noticed a drastic change in mgpg's? i just did this mod over the weekend and finally got the chance to ride the bike around. from yesterday to today i put on about 65 miles and now i'm at half a tank. i was at almost full, -1 fuel bar showed, before i rode yesterday and like i said its at half now. any ideals? cuz i know this is not normal, i should have alot more miles at half a tank. please help.
i should add that i also did the DIY v-stacks at the same time.
I never saw an answer to this question regarding a change in MPG following PAIR removal. I did notice that a few guys had issues with pinched map sensor tubing causing issues such as FI light; was this the result of the drastic change in fuel economy?

Also, I'm curious as to whether or not anyone had information on the DIY v-stacks? Worth it? Are there better alternatives to the stock velocity stacks?

its all good bro, least you have a how to for when you need to rid the airbox for a hrc throttle now
HRC throttle really worth the money and work of install? This would also be a convenient time for me to do this mod if it is worth the expense. I am generally a street rider and use my bike predominantly for commuting purposes.

i had the same idea to clean everything out when i was doing it but all i really had sitting in the airbox was bits of rubber of the track. i imagine a road bit will collect alot more crap in it, Hence it not being a great idea running a tk intake on the road.
What is a 'tk' intake?

Sorry for all the questions guys, thank you in advance for your time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
-i haven't noticed a change in mpg on my bike. I did do the install the same time as a full exhaust system so it was running rich but after getting it tuned it was fine.
-the throttle is useful if you go to the track a lot cause you can get to wide open throttle a lot quicker. I would recommend something that comes with a variety of cams though so you have a choice of how quick you get to wide open. I have the Euro Racing Throttle on my 03RR, but the new Motion Pro Revolver throttle is pretty cool too. I know with the Motion pro you can change cams in like 5 min!

-tk intake....NO IDEA! lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks for the response.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts