Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
PAIR removal complete. I made two mistakes even though I was taking my time (spent about 3hrs tinkering).
First one was that I didn't realize the plates had a top and bottom; I wasn't aware that the curvature on the front two corners were different so I ended up putting one of the plates on upside down. Not a difficult fix but something easy to repeat if one is not paying attention.
Second one was that I over torqued one of the bolts for the plates, ripping the threads out of the valve cover. I was trying to go a bit past snug, but I felt the aluminum give way; since the plate was seated, I left it in. I hope it won't be a problem, but if it is, I'll end up getting a new valve cover that isn't stripped out on the one boss for the pair plates. Anyone know what kind of pressure, if any, is under the plates such that my one weak point will become a problem? Also, I noticed that the factory PAIR caps don't have a gasket but the reeds have a rubber lining that seals them; what would be the problem if the reeds were left in place so as to use them as a seal (other than weight, would they chatter)?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thread a couple months old now, but i'd also like to know that answer.

Wouldn't leaving the reeds out and just putting on the plates leave enough room to cause an exhaust exchange between the 2 inner ports?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, over time, the pressure was insignificant; even with the bad seating I had on mine, there were no leaks. I reinstalled my PAIR today and confirmed this in the process.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Another dumb q for this job. After pulling the air box, there's a big rubber/neoprene cover over the top of the motor. What's that for? Do I absolutely need to re-use it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
^^^^ this mod does nothing performance wise, it is only necessary if you install a power commander so the AFR can be read properly. And the difference between caping it and doing a full removal is waight, although i dont think its worth buying the plates for 30 bucks just to save a few ounces, just take a dump before riding and youll lose more waight that way. i just used some bolts to plug the holes so ill be doing the "dump" mod before i ride

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
so just doing this will do the exact same thing minus the weight difference giving u a accurate AFR reading for the pc?

i did this mod last year. if you don't care about the 1lb weight savings just put a cap on this tube and save yourself the trouble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
quick question.. in your last photo where your hoovering the inlets... see there is that other grey hose that was connected to the right side of the box... do you need to put that back on or can you rip it all out?

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Put it back on

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Reactions: gotama

·
Registered
259 Posts
I realize this is an old thread. I have done the PAIR mod and had the bike tuned. I read question asked a few times in this thread with no answer. I have the same question. Is it ok to just leave the reeds, leave the stock covers and just use a similar rubber cap to cap the holes to the reeds??

Also, I believe I messed up by discarding the crankcase vent hose. is it ok to use another hose to vent the case? should it be routed anywhere specific? Should I try to find a replacement and hook it back to the air box?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I realize this is an old thread. I have done the PAIR mod and had the bike tuned. I read question asked a few times in this thread with no answer. I have the same question. Is it ok to just leave the reeds, leave the stock covers and just use a similar rubber cap to cap the holes to the reeds??

Also, I believe I messed up by discarding the crankcase vent hose. is it ok to use another hose to vent the case? should it be routed anywhere specific? Should I try to find a replacement and hook it back to the air box?

As long as all the holes are plugged you can do that but why? just extra weight to shed and it takes all of 5 minutes to pull the reeds out and seal it off. I bough a ebay delete kit that came with the airbox plug for around 15$... with the crankcase vent you can use other like rated hoses (i did, the factory one was stretched and I couldnt get it on the airbox)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice right up. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
look at photo #18 see the PAIR inlet. its on the left side of the photo. like a long yube.... just place a rubber cap on it. and you have done the same thing. stopped the air flow. much quicker. and works the same. that way if your state goes to a required exhaust test, all you have to do is remove the plug to pass the test....

101 - 120 of 145 Posts