Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the reason for the removal of the PAIR valve? Is it just for weight? I've read there is a performance increase but others say there isnt.

If theres a reason to do this I'll take care of it this winter, if not I'm going to leave it.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
the search button tells me weight, and a proper tuning after exhaust and airfilter mods.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
There is a small weight savings, although the main idea is so that you can get a proper dynotune. The PAIR system injects air into the exhaust for emissions. With the system installed, the tuner would be getting sparatic readings since his sensor is reading the burnt air/fuel mix from the cylinders as well as fresh air from the pair system. This would give a false reading and a proper tune could not be done.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll thats way to much work for that little gain. I just pinched off the hose when I had my dyno done so I think I'll save myself the hassle and pass.

·
Registered
974 Posts
here you go go a go go

The exhaust emission control system consists of a secondary air supply system which introduces filtered air into the exhaust gases in the exhaust port. Fresh air is drawn into the exhaust port whenever there is a negative pressure pulse in the exhaust system. This charge of fresh air promotes burning of the unburned exhaust gases and changes a considerable amount of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into relatively harmless carbon dioxide and water vapor. The PAIR system is controlled by the ECM using check valves and a solenoid.
Removal of the PAIR system will yield three main benefits: 1) weight reduction 2) reduction of engine compartment clutter 3) increase in the scavenging ability of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We'll thats way to much work for that little gain. I just pinched off the hose when I had my dyno done so I think I'll save myself the hassle and pass.
Yup, he's right.

Most dyno tuners will just block that hose or pinch it. You don't gain any performance by removal either, nor do you really gain weight savings. I mean cmon, were not riding our bikes everyday to compete anyways.....so that "less than 5 pounds" saving means "dyck".

People just do it for convience when they tune their bikes, but that's done by those who compete and do it often.

There is a guy on 1000rr.net site that actually made pair block off plates, I don't know if he still does it though.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Yup, he's right.

Most dyno tuners will just block that hose or pinch it. You don't gain any performance by removal either, nor do you really gain weight savings. I mean cmon, were not riding our bikes everyday to compete anyways.....so that "less than 5 pounds" saving means "dyck".

People just do it for convience when they tune their bikes, but that's done by those who compete and do it often.

There is a guy on 1000rr.net site that actually made pair block off plates, I don't know if he still does it though.
i thought it was for the looks?:ponder:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
questions.

1. how in the almighty HELL does the tuner "pinch it shut" when the hoses are wedged under the airbox? seriously, you cannot get the the lines without removing the box.

2. The system only activates under negative load (throttle down). this would not effect throttle up operation, which is what dyno tuners tune to, sooooo........

3: Capping the system will make the bike produce more emissions, however it may not be detected by the 4 gas analyzer.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. how in the almighty HELL does the tuner "pinch it shut" when the hoses are wedged under the airbox? seriously, you cannot get the the lines without removing the box.

Both inlet hoses can be accessed from the sides of the bike with the fairings off, or you can plug the main inlet inside the airbox.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
if you say so. i certainly don't recall seeing them the countless times i've had my fairings off, but then again, i was looking either. i can't imagine a tuner doing anything more than strapping the bike down and sticking a AF line down the pipe... let alone removing any bodywork or diving inside the airbox...

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you say so. i certainly don't recall seeing them the countless times i've had my fairings off, but then again, i was looking either. i can't imagine a tuner doing anything more than strapping the bike down and sticking a AF line down the pipe... let alone removing any bodywork or diving inside the airbox...
Your profile says you have an 06'. I've only seen my 08' in that respect. They may be different.

As for the tuner doing it. No, I dont think they would either which is why I did it myself.

Left inlet hose

Right inlet hose

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I noticed a reduced amount of popping and cracking on decel after removing the pair system. I also had a slip on with no cats.
that's to be expected. the PAIR burns off excessive hydrocarbons left after combustion while still inside the exhaust pipe by adding O2 allowing combustion to take place, which produces mini explosions in the pipe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts