Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Rider. Don't have any horror stories of the bike being hit in a parking lots, but don't want to take chances. Wondering about safer and at the same time legal spots to park.

Main concern if I park next to the entrance to the store or on the sidewalk, will cops give me crap or its normal overall? I see it done all the time by others, but not sure what legal risks I am taking with this approach.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You're not going to get ticketed for parking somewhere else on private property...

I still wouldn't put it on the sidewalk though...I usually park on the diagonal yellow lined areas at the end of the row. Convenience and a little added safety. Don't have to worry about someone pulling into the spot thinking it's empty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Depends on the situation.. Like at a walmart.. I always park up on the sidewalk away from people but over next to the building. I try to stay out of walking paths. If not there then I park at the end of a row where there is no parking spot for cars. Its all about parking where your bike is out of the way yet can be seen and least likely to be hit by a car. I have never had issues with any complaints by police OR building managers

·
Registered
821 Posts
You're not going to get ticketed for parking somewhere else on private property...

I still wouldn't put it on the sidewalk though...I usually park on the diagonal yellow lined areas at the end of the row. Convenience and a little added safety. Don't have to worry about someone pulling into the spot thinking it's empty.
BINGO. These are my favorite spots now. You're still in the parking lot, and your bike is very visible at the front.

I've had some bad experiences with people giving me hell for parking on sidewalks. If there's a bike rack, I sometimes park beside it. It's tough to stay out of everyone's way (to keep your bike safe) and still keep people/parking authority happy.

I find that if you go and ask someone in person (like security or a store owner... very politely) if you're ok to leave your bike somewhere, they'll usually say yes. Do this if it's somewhere you park every day.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If I do park in a parking space, I always park it close to the end of the space, not the front...I do this so people see my bike before they swing into the spot at 60 mph and nail it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I do park in a parking space, I always park it close to the end of the space, not the front...I do this so people see my bike before they swing into the spot at 60 mph and nail it.
This. Just make sure it's visible, people won't hit it. If they do, it's insured. :D It helps if your bike is bright orange. :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Too bad its not a law to require x amount of MOTORCYCLE designated spots in every major parking area such as walmart or whatever.. man what a great world that would be.. The handycap parking and motorcycle parking up front then the cagers parking further back.. HA HA

·
Registered
588 Posts
At work I park right next to the building when I'm visiting but I park in a spot the rest of the time I ride. Right at the end almost sideways so they can see it. Some places I park as close as possible but around here it usually doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts