Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fairly slow low-side at the track a few weeks ago. Broke my wrist, but I am healing up, and am now getting around to patching up the bike. The left clip-on received a fairly good jolt, and actually moved forward a little bit. I got the clip on back to the correct position, but noticed the a small ring sticking out that I cant seem to identify (or figure out how to fix). I looked at a parts diagram, but couldn't see it.

See photo attached. Anyone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is only a guess. Looks like the unpainted part of the clamp. Or perhaps these aren't the correct clip ons for the bike and are over sized and someone has inserted a spacer to take up the slack.

However where it attaches to the underside of the top yoke I can see two silver nuts. One below and one above the black of the clip on. I don't think that there should be a nut at the top, looks like someone has fitted that to lower the clip on. Also looking at the parts diagram for a 2011 bike (that is what you have isn't it?) there is only a pin on the handlebar to locate it in the underside of the top yoke, not a bolt.

Also, it may be the angle of the photo, but the fork looks a little bent.

Can you show a photo showing the location more? I'm struggling to work out the orientation.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
There is a circlip that goes under the clip on and fits into a groove in the fork tube that pretty much all Honda’s have that’s sort of a safety thing if your clip on’s come loose they “shouldn’t” slide all the way down. As you can see, however, they can still slide.

Some people use them, some don’t. Your call, it should push back up and seat in the groove if things are set right.

It’s part #13 on this diagram:

The only thing in the post above mine that makes any sense is that the upper stanchion does appear bent so be sure to check that. The nuts he’s talking about are the HSED mounting bolts and not the clip ons.

Easiest way to check for straight forks is to support the front end from the triple clamp so the wheel is unloaded and off the ground and loosen the upper and lower pinch bolts and attempt to spin the upper stanchion. If it rotates easily, you’re straight, if not, you probably aren’t.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that is the correct part. I am going to try to get it back into the groove. I will double check, but in the photo the stanchion does look a little bent. It doesn't look like it in person, but I will try to get some better photos.

There is a circlip that goes under the clip on and fits into a groove in the fork tube that pretty much all Honda’s have that’s sort of a safety thing if your clip on’s come loose they “shouldn’t” slide all the way down. As you can see, however, they can still slide.

Some people use them, some don’t. Your call, it should push back up and seat in the groove if things are set right.

It’s part #13 on this diagram:

The only thing in the post above mine that makes any sense is that the upper stanchion does appear bent so be sure to check that. The nuts he’s talking about are the HSED mounting bolts and not the clip ons.

Easiest way to check for straight forks is to support the front end from the triple clamp so the wheel is unloaded and off the ground and loosen the upper and lower pinch bolts and attempt to spin the upper stanchion. If it rotates easily, you’re straight, if not, you probably aren’t.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is only a guess. Looks like the unpainted part of the clamp. Or perhaps these aren't the correct clip ons for the bike and are over sized and someone has inserted a spacer to take up the slack.

However where it attaches to the underside of the top yoke I can see two silver nuts. One below and one above the black of the clip on. I don't think that there should be a nut at the top, looks like someone has fitted that to lower the clip on. Also looking at the parts diagram for a 2011 bike (that is what you have isn't it?) there is only a pin on the handlebar to locate it in the underside of the top yoke, not a bolt.

Also, it may be the angle of the photo, but the fork looks a little bent.

Can you show a photo showing the location more? I'm struggling to work out the orientation.
Here are some more pictures. These are definitely the stock clip-ons. I know the original owner of the bike, and he literally changed nothing on the bike the entire time he owned it. I think it was just the angle of the original photo. I went to the garage and checked. Doubt they're bent, but will perform the test you suggested. Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the reason the clip on was "relocated" during the lowside. The stopper on the clip on broke through the guide on the triple.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,769 Posts
loosen the clip on pinch bolt, the upper triple pinch bolt, and the lower triple pinch bolts on that side, pull the fork down, put the ring back in the groove, then let the fork slide back up and the ring will seat against the shoulder in the clip on. done.

this is a perfectly simple problem to fix. should take you maybe 5 mins.

if you only loosen off the one fork you don't need a front stand or anything, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loosen the clip on pinch bolt, the upper triple pinch bolt, and the lower triple pinch bolts on that side, pull the fork down, put the ring back in the groove, then let the fork slide back up and the ring will seat against the shoulder in the clip on. done.

this is a perfectly simple problem to fix. should take you maybe 5 mins.

if you only loosen off the one fork you don't need a front stand or anything, don't worry about it.
Thank you, wibbly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts