Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can find some info on passing strategy and tactics? I have seen the Rossi video where he talks about having 3 lines (racing, passing and defensive.) I was hoping someone would have seen an article or know of a movie where they delve deeper into passing.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Look into some racing schools bro. But just my 2cents practice the basics first. Those skills need to be 2nd nature before you can practice your "racecraft"...
Cant be worrying about body position and stuff when your mixing it up..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look into some racing schools bro. But just my 2cents practice the basics first. Those skills need to be 2nd nature before you can practice your "racecraft"...
Cant be worrying about body position and stuff when your mixing it up..
Yeah, we have done two Star Schools and while they were awesome, didn't receive too much info on passing (even in the advanced/racer classes.)

·
Registered
9,936 Posts

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
IMO Passing has several "levels" to it. But I don't see it as "techniques" really, maybe I should.

One thing I try to teach riders is to NEVER follow another rider, unless it's a control rider or instructor. Otherwise you may/will fall victim to the lead riders pace, line, mistakes, braking points etc...

You should also be slightly inside or outside another rider, you will find a LOT of passes come due to mistakes of the lead rider. Things like hesitating to roll on the throttle, false neutrals, bad shift points, pushing the front, too much rear slide/not enough drive (in comparison to your drive). These things aren't anything that you did as a technique yet resulted in a pass.

I've posted videos in the past showing great examples of this, but I am exhausted and flying home in the morning lol

The most important thing is ALWAYS think you are going to pass the lead rider, and pass them NOW! Hesitation is your worst enemy. It sacrifices your drive, your confidence, momentum and rhythm.

If you catch a slower rider have the confidence knowing that you caught them, don't think! ATTACK! If you thought about the pass you just lost time.

It becomes habit.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'm not an expert or anything, but I've noticed that I have the most difficulty passing somebody, when I get caught up following them.

Meaning, if I'm paying attention to my own lines, looking through the person in front of me and/or use my peripheral vision to keep track of them, I find it much easier to pass.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I'm not an expert or anything, but I've noticed that I have the most difficulty passing somebody, when I get caught up following them.

Meaning, if I'm paying attention to my own lines, looking through the person in front of me and/or use my peripheral vision to keep track of them, I find it much easier to pass.
EXACTLY my point!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts