Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just took a motorcycle safety course and i passed i am so freakin' happy, i just have to go to the DMV and get my license. i learned a lot from the class that i didn't know and after they thought us how to lean i was leaning the bike they had over far enough to almost hit the pegs. i love leaning it over and did it every chance i got. i plan on buying my bike in may or so... unless i can get financed. i want a 05-06 600rr the bike is awesome. yes this will be my first bike. you all have any advice?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i planned on getting all icon gear but i have not read many good things about it most people like joe rocket jackets and such?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you suggest then?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My advice would be to respect the power that the bike has if you decide to get an RR (or any similar 600). Take it easy and focus on riding technique before you experiment with the power.

As for the Icon sruff, I've never had any of their gear. Dealers have told me to stay away from their helmets. I have no idea on the rest of their stuff. I have Joe Rocket jackets and gloves, and an HJC AC-11 helmet, and I've been very happy with them.

HJC AC-11 (AC-12 now) = probably the best helmet for the price in my opinion... yeah, an Arai would be better, but it costs twice as much.

·
Registered
893 Posts
f4i is a powerful bike lol start on something slower.. youll be glad you did as you will gain more skills with the easier to ride bikes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
congrats on passing the msf course.

as far as advice goes, "to each his own." imo, start small (500, 250) or at the least, start on an older 600 or an sv650. your life, your choice tho so good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
congratulations on passing your MSF. When I schedule some time off work, I'll take mine too. Plan to be riding by summer time(ish).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My advice would be to respect the power that the bike has if you decide to get an RR (or any similar 600). Take it easy and focus on riding technique before you experiment with the power.
thank for the advice and i appreciate it a lot. i would like to make the 600RR my first bike and i will not play with the power much at all until i and very comfortable on it. trust i will practice a lot everyday for a while before i even take it on the highway for regular commuting.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts

as far as advice goes, "to each his own." imo, start small (500, 250) or at the least, start on an older 600 or an sv650. your life, your choice tho so good luck and ride safe.
+111111111111111111111111111111111111

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the congrats... i wanted to take this course so long ago but never had the time. i had to miss a day of class to get it done. but i think it was a necessary sacrifice.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Congrats on completing the course, did you get perfect scores?
go with gear you have tried on and feel safe in. Icon is the "popular" brand but there are a ton of companies out there that you could go with.
My personal favs are Cortech/tour masters & Shift.
I am not going to lie, I do have the Icon field armour vest and leg protectors

·
Registered
90 Posts

this is absolutely THE BEST answer right here!

i learnt on a Buell Blast (500 v-twin) and it was fun and all but not enough "umff" to make me nipples turn hard.

the SV650s is by far God sent himself! GREAT BIKE! doesn't have all the extra gadgets that looks pretty on the accessary sheet but you honestly won't NEED it as a begineer. i can tell you now that if i hadn't started on the SV i don't think i'ld have even 1/2 a much knowledge of operating a bike like i do now. and there's not 1 legit complaint on this bike; just too good of a bike to be passed up on.

screw the whole "CROTCH ROCKET' look for now, learn the basics... carve some twisties, rack some miles on your belt, learn... practice... and master the basics.. THEN start worrying 'bout hp, 1/4 times and all that other stuff

but then again, it all comes down to what your wallet is willing to handle; so go out there, saddle up... strap that helmet and keep the rubber side down

·
Professional smart @ss
2,345 Posts
yea, buy a 250 and piss your money away. some of you guys act like a 600 is an f14 jet. its all in the throttle, my first bike along with everyone i know was a 600rr. its a great beginner bike. what happens in 3 months when he has more experience under his belt, hes suppose to now spend more $$$ ? go with the 600, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got all Icon gear, and got no problems with it. All very comfortable, but i had never heard anything about saftey issues with their helmets, ill have to look into that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea my roomate has a gixxer 1000 and he has an icon helmet i like his, i have tried it on it is a nice fit.. also i do really appreciate all the input but i do plan on getting the rr as my first bike. i dont plan on trying to kill myself and speeding and such. but like it was said by some post i read i could die sitting still.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Congrats on completing the course, did you get perfect scores?
protectors

no i am not perfect but i got a 96% on the written and a 97% on the riding test. mind you it was the first time i had ever been on a bike.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts