or do 520 conversion -1/+2?

what are the pros and cons???

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Really?

Theres a button at the top of your screen with these letters:

"S-E-A-R-C-H" all together.

Click on that and type your subjects (i.e. 520 conversion, pc3, power commander, -1/+2, etc. etc)

Im trying to help you before you get flamed.:shakehand

·
Registered
502 Posts
interesting, trying to help someone before getting flamed by flaming...? very effective i'm sure.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
the search preach wasnt really needed.... but go with the 520 for sure... i have the 520 and a pc3 and 520 is one of the best mods ive done to date

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
interesting, trying to help someone before getting flamed by flaming...?
How did you help?

That was no flame. Admins will do that, considering there are threads specifically for us noobs that contain the same advice I gave.

Also,

Hes going to find much more with the search button than with:

520 is one of the best mods ive done to date
:fyou:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Also,

Hes going to find much more with the search button than with:

:fyou:
Not really. The search button is great for questions on what something is.. what the OP is looking for is an opinion on what he should get. One of the other.. you can search all night long and pull up a year plus old post that isnt worth a damn. The OP is right for not wasting his time in searching thru a bunch of post on what power levels the PC3 will get or what a 520 kit is.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've done the search

but cudn't really come down too the real decision

but most ppl are saying 520 converion since it better to do 520 since faster start acceleration

better for wheelies!!!!!!!!!!!!:+1:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Heard you need to adjust the chain more often and it causes more wear quicker with the 520. Is this true?
Yup the 520 sucks when it comes to longetivity, especially if you're running an aluminum rear sprocket. I got fed up with replacing chains every 12-15k (properly maintained) with the 520 setup, so I went back to the 525 and steel rear sprocket, now I'm getting over double the mileage out of my chain/sprockets (my current has 37k miles on it and still in decent shape). I kept my same ratio of -1 in the front so nothing had to change there. The gear change is the only thing that will actually noticeably improve performance... the 520 conversion itself does almost nothing

If I were you I'd try and find the sprockets you want for your gear change in a 525. It's harder to find rear sprockets, but fronts you can always go -1

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
DUDE, (Jared) 190,000 miles now on your 04? DAMN you go boy!!!! :banger: That is amazing...

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Yup the 520 sucks when it comes to longetivity, especially if you're running an aluminum rear sprocket. I got fed up with replacing chains every 12-15k (properly maintained) with the 520 setup, so I went back to the 525 and steel rear sprocket, now I'm getting over double the mileage out of my chain/sprockets (my current has 37k miles on it and still in decent shape). I kept my same ratio of -1 in the front so nothing had to change there. The gear change is the only thing that will actually noticeably improve performance... the 520 conversion itself does almost nothing
Take this advice and keep you stock chain and sprocket which are rock solid and will last you a long time. The 520 conversion with aluminum sprocket is for racing applications to save weight.

Since you got an Akra it would be much smarter to get a PC3 and then dyno it, that way you actually get some performance as well as a nice sound.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I say the pc3. Your bike is fast enough. Just take a second and think how fast is your car. Now think how fast is your bike.

Make it sound good and look better and be happy. imo

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes it gives you more low end but if thats y you want to do the swap then just be carefull.

Saw a friend go off the back of his bike. He was fine his bike not so much.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yes it gives you more low end but if thats y you want to do the swap then just be carefull.

Saw a friend go off the back of his bike. He was fine his bike not so much.
False..... the gear change is what gives you more low end, the 520 conversion does not. All that does is save a couple ounces of unsprung weight by using a narrower chain and sprockets, in which case on the street you'll likely notice zero change.

Best bang for your buck performance mod is most definitely a gear change. Keep the stock chain and rear sprocket, go -1 with the front sprocket. It's equivalent to going +3 in the rear, and believe me it will make a very noticeable difference and wake it up, and keep the reliability and longetivity of the stock size chain.... it's a win-win

Front sprocket is cheap.... about $30. Do that and the PCIII both.... save the cash you'd waste on the 520 junk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts