Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, here's my pea brain at work. Let me know if I'm way off base.
I have an 03 600RR with about 14K on it. I also have a K&N filter and micron slip on. I just got a brand spankin new PCIII so I threw it on. Bike ran great for the first 3 or so miles, then it started this whole "f*(k your green light, I'm going to stop right here in this intersection." I cycled the bike all the way off and the bike would fire up, only to die again a few stops later. Always in first gear, always at or just above idle. So I did some hunting on the power commander web site and on 600RR.net. There was a little something about the LED tail lights causing disruption on the PCIII. I took the PCIII out from under the seat and set it on the pilot seat and it seems to work fine now. Is this a legit fix or am I touched in the noodle? Any ideas would be great. Just to answer, yes, my PCIII is dangling on the pilot seat so I can show off.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
So I did some hunting on the power commander web site and on 600RR.net. There was a little something about the LED tail lights causing disruption on the PCIII. quote]

never heard of that before but what you are describing sounds like a loose ground.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
check your connections again...obviously its a problem w/ the installation or otherwise of the unit...make sure everything is tight and secure

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked and double checked the ground and my wiring. I hate to think that I would have to pull all that crap out...again. Also, why would LEDs have any effect on the PCIII? That sounded strange but it came right from the power commander site.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I got

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_iii_usb/powercommander_faqs.aspx

Problem: The bike randomly cuts out or sputters while riding.
Solution: If custom LED tail lights are being used, they may give off interference up the line that causes the Power Commander to loose its 12 volt reference for power and shut off. The power wire (Red wire with bullet connector terminals) will need to be relocated to a keyed, solid 12 volt power source.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay all, here's the update. After jacking with this thing for a few days, I finally heard back from power commander tech support. According to Mike, the PCIII I have is a few years old and needs all kinds of updates. Back it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts