Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of posts that basically say the same thing, get a pcv and go and get it professionally tuned for optimum performance. Downloaded generic maps can never be "optimum".

It's not that I disagree with this, having had a pcv for only a few days I am no expert by any means (but I know my bike and how she runs). In the short time I have had the pcv I have used 4 different generic maps downloaded from the PC website. They all produced very minimal difference from my perspective. The biggest difference I noticed was at low speed and low rpm, a couple of those maps were unacceptable down low, but once the rpms picked up not too much difference.

Then I met dynarex, he told me he had a map for my configuration. He promised amazing things....Great, send it over I told him. I'll try another map, what could it hurt?

After a short phone call with Rob (dynarex), I had it installed and dialed in as he wanted it.

I just wanted to tell you all that after putting close to 100 miles on this map I am blown away. This is night and day different from the generic PC website maps. This is night and day different from stock. I do not need to get it dyno'd to tell me I have a couple more horsepower, I know I do. My front wheel is lifting from rolling on full throttle in first gear...I'm big 6'1 and 245 pounds and this has never happened for me before.

My bike is smooth just cruising at 40mph, smooth shifting, pulls like crazy when you demand it, explodes from gear to gear when you encourage it. It runs cooler. Gas mileage, so far, seems improved. I'm telling you I sat on the fence a long time before buying a PCV. But thanks to dynarex It is the best mod I did so far. The power increase may not be huge (but is noticeable), it's the overall improvement in the way she runs that is just awesome, especially compared to the stock set up.

So thanks Dynarex! :shakehand I have no need to take this in for a custom tune anymore. The bike runs amazing. I encourage everyone with a pcv looking for a map to PM dynarex.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're happy with the new map. It's your bike and you can do as you wish, but...As much as you've noticed an improvement (which is great) you still can't be sure that your bike is running at it's optimum performance IMO. The guy who configured your map sounds very knowledgeable but that'll only get you so far. The bike may feel improved to you but how do you know that there isn't more to be had?

I had my PCV custom mapped on a dyno and I'm not sorry I did.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds awesome, so long as the map doesn't make you run lean anywhere in the rev range.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I agree with dkid. I'm not disagreeing that the map you got was an improvement, but without actually tuning your bike on a dyno, how can you really know if it's "the best" for your bike? It probably is a good starting point, but every motor is slightly different as the engine wears and breaks in over time along with things like weather (altitude, temp, humidity, ect), every single bike is different when it comes to those "perfect" or "optimum" settings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why Power Commanders were invented in the first place? So racers can tune their bikes to different setting for the different environments they are racing in and get it as custom and perfect as possible and set up how they want for every race? Because even for them, one setting or map is the magic answer or the best.

Think about it... You have a $5-7k bike, with probably another $1k in aftermarket parts (just assuming you have a slip-on exhaust, new air filter, maybe something else) just spent on performance which caused you to feel the need to at least spend the other $250-$400 on the PCV but you won't spend the $100-200 to get it tuned and tested and run on a dyno to make sure everything is "optimal" for your bike?

HMMMMM :ponder::poke::retard:

Seems like a no brainer to me...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
but you won't spend the $100-200 to get it tuned and tested and run on a dyno to make sure everything is "optimal" for your bike?

HMMMMM :ponder::poke::retard:

Seems like a no brainer to me...
it's not an issue of money (BTW it's $300 at shops around here). Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I've only had the pcv for a short time, days in fact. I have had no time to take it in, also there is no tuner in my immediate area so it's a bit out of the way and I'll need a day off to get it done.

I do not race or make any claims as such. I have not been on a track ( although I'm interested). I'm a "weekend warrior" I like to hit the road on the weekends Just go where the road takes me. .. I bought the pcv for improved engine response and performance. I understand that people use these pcv's to fine tune to track temp etc but that is not what I need it for.

I found a map that has improved the feel and response of my bike. It simply runs better then it ever has ... and that my friend is a no brainer. :crackup:

Will I take it in, perhaps, but honestly I'm just loving it so much right now.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
Wonder how many dynos tune low speed and part throttle?
Just because you spend more doesn't mean it's worth more
Is running a generic pig rich cylinder washing dynojet tune any better?
Lol, the first time I've heard someone say the dyno tune was the WRONG way.

This guy is guessing, the dyno is the right way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not the wrong way
Never said it was a dyno is simply awesome for making the maximum amount of horsepower at wide-open throttle under that certain condition but they don't take into Account part throttle and cruising operations on the street
and I'll still stand by my statement as to if someone wants to compare my map on the track or on the street while guarantee they will like my map better
Oh and I'm not guessing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
One question dynarex... Do your maps take into consideration location of the rider (altitude, temperature, humidity, etc.)?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this map was free?
No. Again money is not an issue :banghead:. It was a solution to a problem of having the time to get to a tuner to custom map my bike . I was planning on getting it tuned, I just needed a solution until I had the time to get it done.... I'm a "now" kind a guy....I don't like to wait. And I'm glad I didn't.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Call me skeptical but I like to see results based on fact wherever possible. That's why in my experience I consider the dyno to be the only way to truly tune a bike properly.

We just can't quantify how much of a placebo effect this map is having. Emotional horsepower is fine if you're happy with it. Like I said at the start - your bike, your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Like dkid, I like to see data. Is there any visual data comparing these maps vs a dynojet custom map? What makes it superior?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call me skeptical but I like to see results based on fact wherever possible. That's why in my experience I consider the dyno to be the only way to truly tune a bike properly.

We just can't quantify how much of a placebo effect this map is having. Emotional horsepower is fine if you're happy with it. Like I said at the start - your bike, your choice.
I do agree with that... there is nothing on paper that proves anything. All I have to make a judgment is my opinion.

I did not have the typical placebo effect from adding the exhaust and air filter. To me it felt the same. But after this map, night and day. Is it optimum? I don't know. One day I'll take it in and post the dyno results. Until then All I can say is holy **** and around 10k rpm hold the **** on. :gun1:

Btw dkid - sick bike.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'll give you my map
Compare at a track with your best dyno map
That's real world not manipulated numbers on a piece of paper
You have to understand people's skepticism with the way this "magic map" was brought to discussion.

How did you get so much experience that your map is better than an incredibly expensive and trusted piece of equipment? Was your map ever run on a dyno to confirm there are no lean A/F spots in the rev range?

I'm not asking to be a jerk, its just the question everyone is pretty much asking in a different format. And I want to know. And I'd rather have my bike down a couple HP and responsiveness if it means the "better" map puts my engine any closer to danger. Seat dynoing doesn't tell the whole story.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts