Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered why one side has a much longer peg feeler than the other side. At the last trackday I was grinding both sides and it made me think...

so, assuming that a) the pegs themselves are in the same spot (right and left same height/same extension from frame/etc) and b) that the purpose of the feelers is to tell you when you are close to dragging major parts (danger of lifting the bike or in danger of damaging critical parts) then what IS the reasoning for them being different? Why is one side in danger earlier (less lean) than the other.

I dont know if anyone would know the answer but its been on my mind.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have noticed that too but not givin it much thought. I bought a set of sharskinz off a guy and part of the right side is ground down toward the front. The bike is not around. Which side is longer?

Also I have heard that it is an indiacation of reaching the max lean angle.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
I've thought about that also.. All I can think is that maybe the stator cover sticks out further than the clutch cover.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The peg feelers are set so you will grind them before you grind the lowest part of the bike.

You should see how long the ones are an RC51 are.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
so if I am grinding a peg (vortex) that has no feelers, thats probably bad.....lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
The left side is longer to account for the sidestand. If you remove the stand, they could be the same length.

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
flamedRRider said:
I've thought about that also.. All I can think is that maybe the stator cover sticks out further than the clutch cover.
Same thought to.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jayock said:
The left side is longer to account for the sidestand. If you remove the stand, they could be the same length.
cool. good to know. I fugured it had to do with something mroe dangerous hitting the ground...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Actually guys, It's to account for the fact that the right hand rearset (viewed from the rear of the bike) is further from the centreline of the bike due to the fact that it sits out slightly further to allow clearance for the exhaust midpipe.

The different length peg feelers allow the same lean angle on both sides before they touch the asphalt.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
RHINO-RR said:
I took mine off.I thought they looked ridiculous at different lengths.
When I look at a bike, I totally judge it by the length of the peg feelers.

Ok, no not really. Just joshing with you bro.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
LOL..I sometimes had girls look at my bike in traffic and laugh at me..I could never figure it out until one day I realized they were looking at the side with the "short" feeler...So now I'm in the process of fabricating new ones that touch the ground on both sides when the bike is upright.They won't be laughing now,will they?!?! LOL

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
mabbottusmc said:
Like HRC-RR said. If u look at your rearsets they aren't exactly across from eachother either. One is further back then the other.
Maybe that explains why my right knee always touches the top edge of the fairings when I'm riding.It got really annoying,to the point where I was always trying to change my riding position,assuming I was doing something wrong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
RHINO-RR said:
LOL..I sometimes had girls look at my bike in traffic and laugh at me..I could never figure it out until one day I realized they were looking at the side with the "short" feeler...So now I'm in the process of fabricating new ones that touch the ground on both sides when the bike is upright.They won't be laughing now,will they?!?! LOL
:sign10: That's some funny shiz!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RHINO-RR said:
Maybe that explains why my right knee always touches the top edge of the fairings when I'm riding.It got really annoying,to the point where I was always trying to change my riding position,assuming I was doing something wrong.
me too! me too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts