Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a more local forum that I'm on, there's been more than a few accidents on where tractor trailers are going way too fast around these tiny roads where many ride. Just think of 421 as a mini Deals Gap. I have read on a few occasions on where someone has laid their bike down due to the trucks going way wide. One rider broke his back in 3 places a couple of months ago because of a truck going wide.

Please sign and repost online:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/US421/index.html

·
Registered
496 Posts
That shouldn't matter...the truck(s) entered THEIR lane of travel which automatically puts the truck(s) at fault.
Actually it's not that simple. It's way more complicated than that. Depends on reason, time, speed, response, etc. If you are speeding, you can be contributorily (or fully) negligent in all sorts of situations where the other party does something technically wrong.

K

·
0 Posts
i think that speeds should be reduced and enforced on that road if they are going to fast for safety. if the road is a hazard then tractor/trailers should be forbidden to enter OR the road be restructured so that it's safe for high speed interstate travel.

i know which one is cheaper...

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
The bikers were all going the speed limit, right
I don't think it really matters here. If trucks make the road dangerous cause they can't stay between the lines they make it dangerous for everyone. Cars and bikes alike. Speeding or not.. Its all a timing thing...

To me it isn't a matter of how fast the bikes were going in the examples given and don't think it should be turned into a right and wrong debate.

K

·
0 Posts
i don't think so either. obviously it's because the trucks are going too fast for conditions. they need to be slowed down or the road needs to be modified so that it's safe at high speeds. Banning them is probably a last resort.. and honestly sounds like knee-jerk legislation.

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
well, here's a little gas for the fire. if your turning left on a blind corner, which part of the lane should you be in? the far right. so, if a truck/car goes wide (cross the line) you can see them sooner. also, you'll have more distance between them and you to take action. when i take right's i stay to the inside, yes this goes against what we all have been taught. the reason i do this? so if some one cross's the line. i'd put my money on the % of these accident's happening in left hand curves.

now let's ask our self's why would you have to lay it down when a truck car crossed the line?.................probabely riding aggresive, and apexing the curve. now, i wasn't there. can i say that that IS the reason this happened? no. do i feel bad for the rider's who have been hurt? HELL YAH I DO! but, when you ride hard, you take the chance. yes, YOU take the chance. i'm sure these riders were out for a good time. but i doubt it was for a "scenic" ride through a "mini" deals gap. T.K.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
This is a simple matter in my opinion. It boils down to Risk, Choice and Consequences. Risk = twisty blind road. Trucks cars and bikes (yes all are at fault at one time or another) potentially crossing the center line. Choice = You chose to ride the road, knowing the risk. You decide to exceed the limit. Consequence = Someone is getting hurt, its only a matter of time.

If you really want a road were you know no one is a around the corner they have them across the country. They're called tracks. Have I exceeded the limit, drug knee and generally acted like a squid on the street? Yes. But we all manage the risk based on our choices and must live with the consequences. I do honestly feel bad for the rider, but banning access to a public road to have your own private race course is not the right option in my opinion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts