Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..i recently picked up a nail in my rear pilot power and i have a trackday coming up in about 2 weeks..i don't really have the spare cash to go out and buy a new one..this one is actually fairly new and with the nail in it i'm only losing about 2psi every 3 days..i havn't noticed any difference while riding and taking some twisties..normally i would plug the tire and just replace it when i have some spare change..but would it be a bad idea to take it to trackday this way? like i said i'm barely losing air and i havn't noticed a change in the grip or handling at all..the nail is relatively small..nothing major..
 

·
Hooked on Phonics
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
How to plug a flat tire (walkthrough)<---- TYPE THIS IN TO THE SEARCH IT WILL POP UP THERE A LOT OF DISCUTION IN THIS THREAD BUT THE GUY KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT I DID IT STEP BY STEP AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLE YET ITS BEEN LIKE 6 MONTHS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know how to plug a tire..i work at a car dealership as a tech
 

·
Hooked on Phonics
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
My Whole Point Was If You Read The Thread That If You Dont Have The Cash To Spare Then Plug It .....................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
A couple of points. One: you won't pass technical inspection if you have a nail in your tire. If they see it, your day is over before it starts. (In fact, many orginizations require your tires to be at 95% or better. Even 2 weeks of riding on new tires on the street would cause you to fail tech.)

Two: say they don't see it and you're crusing down the track and it explodes, or deflates enough to cause you to crash. That would suck.

Three: say #2 happens and you take our an instructor when you crash. You're both talking afterwards and he says "sorry you crashed, man. our bikes look terrible" and you say "yeah, should have done something about that NAIL IN MY TIRE before doing this trackday". Then he punches you in the face.

Please keep the track safe for yourself, if not for others. It sucks that you picked up a nail, but if you have the cash for a trackday, you've got the cash for some new tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
If it's a question of money, spend the money on the new tires and skip the trackday.

Since safety at a track is dependant on the safety of the riders and their respective vehicles, you really are risking the safety of everyone by bringing your bike out there at less than 100%.

When it comes down to it, you're going to be pushing your bike to the limits, IF that tire decides to blow on you, you're going to have many more financial issues on your hands.

And besides, I don't want to read a post on here next week about a fellow rider who jacked up his bike or himself because of a poor decision caused by financial reasons. Keep it safe man...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
ME2 said:
If it's a question of money, spend the money on the new tires and skip the trackday.

Since safety at a track is dependant on the safety of the riders and their respective vehicles, you really are risking the safety of everyone by bringing your bike out there at less than 100%.

When it comes down to it, you're going to be pushing your bike to the limits, IF that tire decides to blow on you, you're going to have many more financial issues on your hands.

And besides, I don't want to read a post on here next week about a fellow rider who jacked up his bike or himself because of a poor decision caused by financial reasons. Keep it safe man...
+1 No further commentary on this issue required.
 

·
Hooked on Phonics
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
trenton said:
Three: say #2 happens and you take our an instructor when you crash. You're both talking afterwards and he says "sorry you crashed, man. our bikes look terrible" and you say "yeah, should have done something about that NAIL IN MY TIRE before doing this trackday". Then he punches you in the face.
ok you make a good point but i highly doubt this would ever happend^^^^, if it did happend you would probably get a life time of free track days cause the orginization the instructor works for would not want to be sued. YES IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY CHANGE THE TIRE OUT but if they for some reason pass your inspection with a plug tire and it fails they cant say chit about it cause they ok the damn thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well they barely look the bike over during the inspection..last time i was there he spent about 10 seconds looking at the bike..he just asked what was in the radiator and looked under the bike to make sure i had the my drain plug safety wired and that's pretty much it. but i guess i'll have to dig up some money for a new one. thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Yeah, I know how your feeling. Just yesterday I got some glass in my rear Pilot Power, and it looks as if I may have to get another, just bought it not very long ago, still good tread, only around 800 miles or so on it, but the cut is bad. Ive got to get it to the shop for advice on a plug/patch, but Im thinking its gonna have to be replaced. Paid 180 installed, and dont want to shell that out again. Total Bullsh+t.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
TrikyWoo said:
well they barely look the bike over during the inspection..last time i was there he spent about 10 seconds looking at the bike..he just asked what was in the radiator and looked under the bike to make sure i had the my drain plug safety wired and that's pretty much it. but i guess i'll have to dig up some money for a new one. thx
The fact their tech barely looked the bike over should frighten you and the others on the track. I'm amazed at how many "parts" if find on our circuits that shouldn't have come off!!! My bike being in shape and my safety is important to me, I'm not going to leave my safety to some volunteer tech dude - nobody should. Serious scrutineering keeps riders safe.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top