Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided it is time to get rid of my Tiburon for a truck for work

hauling around tools in a two door is a pain in the arse

I have been looking and researching and test driving everything

and so far my top picks are the

Nissan V8 Titan - Great looking and such a classy ride

Ford F150 - looks good and rides decent (could have been better)

Toyota Tundra - Was decent still annoyed at the guy at the dealership because he lights my phone up every two seconds to see if i am going to get it

Chevy avalanche - My dad has an 07 and i have been driving it the past 2 months and it has really grown on me and ride great.. not to mention the 8 to 4 cylinder gas saving really helps yet you never lose any power

If any of you have any first hand opinions on any of these trucks it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Josh

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
if i was buying a truck none of those would be on the list except maybe the titan. ive had my share of trucks, currently i have a dodge ram 1500 sport with the hemi i really love the truck. technically the avalanche isnt a pick-up truck only trucks with a separate cab from the bed is a pick up truck and the avalanche bed is pretty pathetic and opening the inside to make more room doenst work in michigan. it really depends on more than what youve told us. it seems like you want a full size but how much do you have to spend? are you gonna buy or lease. are you gonna put the bike in the back?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
if i was getting one itd be like a smaller one (ie a ranger) but my vote would be for a nissan frontier, basically some sort of import..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have added that for work i need to tow a 8000 pound trailer every once in awhile

so a smaller truck is out of the question

and whatever one i get i am putting a cap on the bed because i use the bed for packing mine and the crews bags in and the trailer for tools

don't like to get the truck dirty..lol

BTW I am looking at the crew cabs for all of these

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
thats true, the dodge cummins is the best mpg diesel out i believe..

dodge also has a diesel inline 6 instead of just a v8 so u can get a lil better mpg yet.. my bro has one and its pretty nice..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes but with deisel almost 5 dollars if i drive it outside of work i am going to go broke getting around the corner

i have already test drove the f250 king ranch
Its quite amazing

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nissan Titan is definitely the best bang for your buck truck out there. I have driven many of them and they are much better than the Dodges or Fords. You can get a used Crew Cab for around $14000 with low miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think they make them anymore in the new body style, but I have a Chevy Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1 big block in it. Been 80,000 trouble free miles. Tows everything, hauls ass with just few mods. Much better ride than most trucks, and is an animal in snow (I snowboard a lot).

I was thinking of getting a deisel truck, but the price of deisel going up changed that decision for me and I'm keeping mine. Possibly adding a raylar kit to it. Everyone comments about the ride usually when they get into it. I do use the mid-gate quite frequently as well, you can leave the bed covers on and open the bay and still have a totally sealed compartment. Plus it will also load 4x8 sheets of sheetrock in just the bed alone.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If your gonna hall the trailer every once in a while the f150 is a gorgeous truck..I have a fx4..and it's beautiful in every way..but if your needing to tow this trailer alot..a 250..or 2500 diesel is what you will want. the gas mileage in any half ton normally and ESPECIALLY when towing..is gonna be worse than the diesel by far. you will get 14-15 for the first 10-15000 miles with a diesel then it will jump to 20-21 loaded or unloaded...while with the half ton you'll get around 17ish...and about 11-13 with a trailer. its your call...but i tow a trailer very minimal with my half ton and it does a great job. just base it off of your personal needs!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gas prices are going downhill fast, and they're just going to get worse. Don't buy a truck, whatever you do. I'd buy a diesel vehicle, maybe a vw diesel wagon if you need room for tools or whatever. Or maybe a hatchback something or other. Trust me, in 5 or 10 years you'll be hating yourself for buying a truck. And you won't even be able to get rid of it, because no one else will want it either.

If I desperately needed a cargo vehicle, for trackdays or hauling tools or people, it'd be a diesel mercedez benz sprinter.

25 mpg (Diesel), and much easier to load/unload than a pickup.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
if u are pulling an 8000 pound trailer, i would recommend getting a 3/4 ton truck, while a 1/2 ton will do it, they still struggle to much IMO.
i use a 06 F350 super duty diesel for work, and its a beast. it pulls 8000 pounds like its not even there, and stops whatever u pull fast.
i think it pulls 17000 pounds and its not a dually.
diesel may be expensive now, but u can also find a lot of them for cheap because many cant afford to drive them any more.
and i see a lot of people w/ them who NEVER use it for what it was designed for, work.

i also like the new cummins ram heavy duty a lot.

1/2 ton truck = FAIL for serious work, u just wear it out fast.

REAL trucks dont have spark plugs, lol.

K

·
0 Posts
hell yes, 3/4 ton or bust. the GM Duramax is a kick ass motor. that's all we use for our work trucks, bebopin we get about 17MPG out of them, but they pull a LOT of weight effortlessly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a Chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax deisel and I have the Banks Ram Air system, Magna Flow 4" turbo back exhaust,and a Bully Dog programmer and display and I get 21mpg at 70mph on the highway empty and 15mpg at 70mph pulling my 28ft. fith wheel toy hauler loaded with 4 atvs,30 gals. of fuel, 100 gals. of water and alot of other sh!t in it. I also have 33" tires on it.
On the other hand my brother has an 04 F250 and gets 12.5 mpg wether hes empty or pulling a trailer!!And he has a complete Banks PDA system in it.
In deisels Chevy beats Ford and Dodge in power and fuel economy, Ford has a better ride and more room on the inside but a sucky engine. Dodge has a great engine but its not as powerfull as the Duramax and also doesnt get the fuel milage. And the interior is rather cheap looking.
My brother also has a 07 Titan with some bigger than stock tires and he only gets 12 mpg empty.
I look at trucks like I do women. A truck can be as fine as hell but if it cant do the job you need it to do what good is it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Ford F150.

Take a look at all of the 1/2 ton pickups out there that are actually working (I don't consider a dirt bike in the bed, or a dinky little 2k pound trailer 'working') and see what they are. I'll bet that about 1/2 of them are Fords, about a 1/3 of them are Chevy/GMC, 1/6 are Dodge and practically none of them will be Tundras or Titans. If you are going to pull an 8,000 pound trailer with a 1/2 ton, the F150 is the only one I can condone attempting it with. The Dodge can pull it, but you had better keep a watchfull eye on all of your fluid tempuratures and make sure your brake controller, trailer sway control and weight distributing hitch are all dialed in well. The Titan just doesn't have the cooling capacity to handle that kind of work (despite what Nissan claims), and the Tundra is just scary when pulling heavy loads.

Power-wise, the Tundra is a monster... but the way it delivers its power never really impressed me. The Nissan makes a lot of low-end torque, and really is a good motor for a pickup, but the other parameters of the truck keep it from being a true workhorse in my eyes. The Dodge Hemi makes good power numbers, but its delivery is similar to the Toyota (mostly high RPM power) and the transmission doesn't seem to enjoy having more than about 4,000 pounds in tow. The Chevy with a 5.3L Vortech may not look all that impressive on paper, but if you give it hell it will do what is needed of it. The F150 is the least powerfull and right near the top torque-wise. The power delivery is very strong starting from low RPM and really gets on it while towing. I have towed the same trailer (6,000 pound travel trailer) with all 5 of these trucks, and with out a doubt, the F150 was the most pleasent towing experience. There is far more to a work truck than power... while the Ford may be down on power, it is big on torque, has excellent brakes, the beefiest rear axle, the best cooling system, the highest payload and towing capacity and in my opinion the best bosy styling. The optional towing mirrors on the F150 are outstanding, and the way the side windows drops down at the front increases visibility greatly.

Suspension and handling wise, the F150 may not ride the smoothest, but it will ride the safest once weight is added. In all honesty, I don't think the ride is bad on any of the 1/2 ton pickups, but when it comes time to work, the F150 is the one to choose. We have the aforementioned 6,000 pound travel trailer as well as a toy hauler that comes in right around 8,000 pounds; when we head down to the desert every spring we take both trailers. We have 4 pickups at my house: my 2006 F150 Supercab (4wd, 5.4L Triton, lifted 6" on 35" mud tires, 4.56 gears), my Mom's 2007 Ram 1500 Quad-Cab (2wd, Hemi, 3.92 gears), my Brother's 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext. cab (4wd, 5.7L Vortech, 6" lift, 33" tires, 3.73 gears) and my Dad's 2004 Chevy Silverado reg. cab (2wd, longbed, 4.8L Vortech, 3.07 gears). When it comes time for the trip, we don't hessitate to hook the heaviest load to my F150 and the lighter one to my Mom's Dodge. We have both pulled the toy-hauler, but when my Mom's Dodge attempted it the transmission temps shot up through the roof, the water temp was on the climb and the overall sway, buckling and jouncing of the trailer made for one heck of a white-knuckle experience. On the way home, we switched the toy-hauler to my truck and it towed it just fine. My transmission temp was steady at 165 degrees the entire trip, even on the long grades, water temps stayed at a happy 197 degrees and the trailer wasn't scary at all to tow. Mind you, with anything over 5,000 pounds you will need a weight distributing hitch and a trailer sway controller is a good investment too. My Mom and I both use a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, and have the same weight distributing hitches and trailer sway control units... the Ford simply is less affected by heavy loads.

Interior wise, it is really up to your preferences. I like the fact that my F150 is loaded to the gills, but still has a manual shift transfer case (granted it is also availible in the electronic shift, but I prefer to do it myself). The F150 is pretty darn quiet going down the road, but so are most of the other 1/2 tons... so that is all subjective.

I know I am biased, but I am trying to be as honest as possible here. I have driven all of the 1/2 ton pickups, and have towed and hauled with all of the 1/2 ton pickups. I can say there is a huge difference in the behavior of these trucks between a loaded and unloaded truck. The F150 seemed to have the least change while working, which is good thing in my opinion... the others ranged from a completely different truck all together (the Toyota got down right scarey when asked to work hard), to a little different but nothing to be concerned with. All in all, the F150 is a workhorse that can take the punishment. The others can all probably do some work, but they sure don't like to

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Unless your hauling a welder, which I doubt since you have a tiburon, those trucks are probably too big man. Gas prices are projected to keep going higher for as far as we can see, do you really want to pay 6+ a gallon for those?

However:

For a daily truck, Toyota makes the best quality vehicle for a truck, they have the best quality control ratings, lowest maintinence costs, and get the best MPG.

A lot of people dont like going non-american for a truck, and its sad to say a non-american company makes the best pickups now, but hey thats life i guess.

For a big superduty truck (only really useful if your compensating for a small penis) Ford makes the best.

Either

Tacoma TRD version
Tundra
Ford F-150, but because of gas prices, its being canceled soon, so I dunno how much longer they will be making them, max of two more years IIRC.

For the record, nothing on the road annoys me more then people who buy trucks, lift them, and never take them off road, or to haul stuff. So in saying that, you know i'm not biased towards whatever kind I drive, because I've driven them all, for actual work stuff, and can safely say that for quality, Tacoma and Tundra are leagues better then the rest, even though it feels kind of funny driving a non american pickup.

Personally, if you going used, get a used Tacoma TRD, they run forever.

If your going new, grab the new Tundra MaxCab, with a Short Bed, in Red, saw one at the dealership driving by, looks AMAZING.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I disagree respectfully with you Graphite Brawler, Toyota does not get the best fuel milage and Ford deisels are definantly not the best. Ive researched the 3 major deisels, Ford,Dodge,and Chevy and also read numerous shoot out articles on all 3 and Ford had the most engine problems of all three between the years of 2004-2008. However if you happen to have an older powerstroke they were hard to beat and I do admitt that before Chevy started using the Duramax their deisel was crap.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts