Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally got around to making this thread. My friend has a few more pics so I'll post them when I get them. Here is the story though. I was at CMP down in SC for a 2 day event on the 22nd and 23rd with sportbike track time. It was pretty cold the whole weekend and the track didn't have alot of grip. On the first day I had a lowside going into turn 1. Just some rash on the bike nothing was broken so I finished out the day. The next day I waited to after lunch to go out like I did the day before. It was my second session of the day and everything was feeling pretty good and then....

I was coming out of the last turn onto the front straight like normal and the bike went into a severe tank slapper. I was going around 100 mph or so and I was thrown off of the bike and landed directly on my right side. I broke my right femur where it connects at the hip. I didn't get knocked out, but all I remeber is going into the tank slapper and then getting loaded into the abulance. I had to get airlifted to the hospital and surgury the next morning. There was only about a half inch of bone connecting my leg to my body. When I was in surgery than had to set my leg back into place and put in 4 screws to hold everything together. I was walking with a walker about 15 hours after surgery and out of the hospital on wednesday night. It was a freak crash crash to say the least. I have no idea what caused the tank slapper, but I will have a damper for sure before I go back to the track next year and most likely a 07 RR. Here are the pics and a link to the vid. It happens at about 3:20 in the vid. You will see the rider with the camera come around me and I go out of the shot and when I come back in you just see me fly off of the bike.

Here is the vid link, it happens at about 3:20 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiiRajw5j8

·
Registered
796 Posts
Damn dude, sorry to hear about your get-off and injury. That's pretty scary how you got thrown off from a tank slapper.
I hope you make a quick and complete recovery!

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
I was just there this past weekend, your crash is a weird place to get into a tank slapper since you are basically straight up and down. Either way I hope you get well soon.

Oh BTW, try hitting the apex next time :bootyshak.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was very weird deal. I was hitting the apex that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would say you're about 4' off of the last turn apex. Either way heal up quick dude :five:.
It was at the towards the beginning of the session and I wasn't even at full lean angle yet. I was just starting to get into a rhythm when it happen. My suspension is also screwed. It's all stock and Ken the ohlins guy help me set it up and he said the front is way too soft and the rear is way too hard so I'm basically fighting the bike around the track. When ever I get another bike I'm getting the forks revalved and a rear shock first.

G

·
From the looks of the vid, you're lucky you got thrown off where you did. Watching the bike smash into the wall about a second later...yikes. Glad you weren't still on the bike fishtailing when it hit.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Woo Wee you were real close to connecting with that wall
like your bike. That was definitely a odd tank slapper. Most come from
wheelies out of turns, not on straight aways. When I first went to CMP
I thought that wall kinda comes up quick when your WOT out of the last
turn.

Heal Up Quick !!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the looks of the vid, you're lucky you got thrown off where you did. Watching the bike smash into the wall about a second later...yikes. Glad you weren't still on the bike fishtailing when it hit.
Yeah I know. I'm glad I got thrown off when I did. That wall does come up quick especially when you run it to the edge of the track coming out of the last turn. As you guys can see it really was a freak crash. I haven't seen the bike in person yet. I'm hoping there is no frame damage.

G

·
I wouldn't be surprised if there is. Hopefully it's only the forks or radiator that took the beating. If nothing is badly damaged, well I'll be speechless. Since it happened near the edge of the track, maybe you hit a patch of oil or sand and it got the tank slap going.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be surprised if there is. Hopefully it's only the forks or radiator that took the beating. If nothing is badly damaged, well I'll be speechless. Since it happened near the edge of the track, maybe you hit a patch of oil or sand and it got the tank slap going.
My friend took the bike and truck back to town for me and he said it's not that bad. He said it needs a rear set and gas tank and it can be ridden, but he doesn't know alot about bikes and I doubt he looked at the forks or frame. From the vid I think it's screwed, but it will be at least another week before I'm home so I can check everything out.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
:tard: wtf happened, you looked fine then BAM ! 3:38 you go off the screen then a second or two are thrown off. thats really gay man. Hope you heal fully.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:tard: wtf happened, you looked fine then BAM ! 3:38 you go off the screen then a second or two are thrown off. thats really gay man. Hope you heal fully.
I don't know!! lol. I was accelerating then a wobble then I was in the ambulance with my leg hurting like hell!! Like I said it was a really freak crash. I still don't know what caused it and I've watched that vid countless times.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
woooow...narly man. scotts damper in the works for you asap my friend. heal soon.
+1 on takin it like a champ..

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't know!! lol. I was accelerating then a wobble then I was in the ambulance with my leg hurting like hell!! Like I said it was a really freak crash. I still don't know what caused it and I've watched that vid countless times.
Hey not to go way off subject but do you happen to know what kind of exhaust your friend is running on his bike in the vid? it sounded really good

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I say we all chip in and get you gymnastic class lessons, you really failed stickin the landing lol. j/k

How are them pain pills? :wave:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah next bike will have a damper for sure. I don't even know who filmed the vid much less what kind of exhaust they had...lol. Black Vommit thanks, but I think I'm good for right now. Yeah I screwed the landing that's for sure..lol. The pills are alright, but the docs are being dicks about the pills. I got 1 bottle of percacets's(sp?) from the hospital and loratabs with 1 refill from the follow up doctor. The follow up doc said to take some ibprofen during the day. I said I have a broken leg not a damn head ache!!! I'm gonna have to bitch to get some more is what it's looking like.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought back about something today, 2 sessions before I crashed someone blew their motor and spread oil over the whole track. The track was shut down and cleaned up for 30 mins. I'm now thinking that I could have possibly hit oil and that could have been what caused my crash.

G

·
I thought back about something today, 2 sessions before I crashed someone blew their motor and spread oil over the whole track. The track was shut down and cleaned up for 30 mins. I'm now thinking that I could have possibly hit oil and that could have been what caused my crash.
I'd be willing to put money down on that. Oil is pretty much all that could have done that when upright.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts