Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that we don't have a thread for all of us who have crashed at the track. Unfortunately as a track day rider it's one of those things that happens, and hopefully we can learn from it. Recording yourself riding can improve your riding, and help to identify why you crashed by observing your body position, lean angle, and exhaust noise when applicable.

So for those of us who have gone down, post up a video or pictures of the damage/crash done to the bike!

Here, I'll start it off! This is my second crash ever on a track. This was the middle of the day 4th or 5th session I believe in "the bowl" at streets of willow, clockwise direction.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Ouch!

I've had 3 crashes at the track since 2006... None of which I was running video, oddly enough.

Not many pictures either, lol.

Here is one, trying to get it sorted.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Been on the track since '09. 1 crash. Didn't even get to crash it myself....taken out last season :(

Fast Forward to about 11:45

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Those are the worst man!!!

My 3 crashes are:
1st: Instructing and had a student tuck the front and take me out... T6 at Homestead Speedway.
2nd: I was chasing Stefano Mesa around JGP and lost the front in T1...
3rd: I was running a faulty master cylinder that we thought was fixed, it wasn't... Locked up the front brakes in T13 at JGP and I lost the front.

2 of the 3 weren't my fault either, SUCKS! LOL

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
^^Those do suck! I was more pissed about not being able to find my limits on my own then the bike.

You don't get to learn anything from those accidents besides the other guy sucks lol

A CR got taken out this weekend from a guy he was giving a tow to. Totaled his bike :(

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
^^Those do suck! I was more pissed about not being able to find my limits on my own then the bike.

You don't get to learn anything from those accidents besides the other guy sucks lol

A CR got taken out this weekend from a guy he was giving a tow to. Totaled his bike :(
Yes sir! Know it well, it totalled my 600RR back in '09 when I got taken out by a student too... Sucked.

Nothing like spending your own money to go help someone and have them crash and take you out totally your equipment...

:banghead:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys have some knarly crashes. Man, It sucks to be taken out by other riders, but I haven't faced that yet. My first crash was at spring mountain, t1 or 2, just tucked the front end carrying way to much speed into the turn on cold tires.

Then here at streets I'm getting crossed up, and my peg scraped in the bowl :(.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
My 600RR after being taken out. lol Although this was obviously after all the damage was removed... lol And note to self, stop lending out your stands! LOL

When you can see how bad the lower triple is bent in a picture, you KNOW it's bad! LOL

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 600RR after being taken out. lol Although this was obviously after all the damage was removed... lol And note to self, stop lending out your stands! LOL

When you can see how bad the lower triple is bent in a picture, you KNOW it's bad! LOL

How did you come out from that one? It looks like it was REALLLY bad if you had to do a full tear down.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Yay the crash club! It was a good day otherwise, but ended up shattering a bone in my hand that took 2 months to heal well enough to get the cast off.
Poor body position + damp track + too much throttle on the exit = a lot of fun! :)

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
How did you come out from that one? It looks like it was REALLLY bad if you had to do a full tear down.
Actually not very bad... I fractured the humeral head (the ball at the top of the arm), dislocated that shoulder and a bit of a concussion.

But... It did start a chain reaction of dislocated shoulders that ended up requiring surgery last January.

It got so bad that I was coaching at CMP and I was waving a student by and had it dislocate... LOL Talking about awkward...

:retard:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay the crash club! It was a good day otherwise, but ended up shattering a bone in my hand that took 2 months to heal well enough to get the cast off.
Poor body position + damp track + too much throttle on the exit = a lot of fun! :)

Dang, everyone's braking their stuff! My crash on the street fractured my scaphoid and that's why I ride track now! Lol

That sucks, but fix her up and get back on!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually not very bad... I fractured the humeral head (the ball at the top of the arm), dislocated that shoulder and a bit of a concussion.

But... It did start a chain reaction of dislocated shoulders that ended up requiring surgery last January.

It got so bad that I was coaching at CMP and I was waving a student by and had it dislocate... LOL Talking about awkward...

:retard:

Yikes. I'm riding with a fractured scaphoid in my left hand, and 2 ruined shoulders. I can dislocate my shoulders at will. When I crashed at Spring Mountain, my right shoulder dislocated in an awkward funny way. It hurt a little the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I too broke a small bone in my left hand....started with an S. Apparently it was on of the slowest healing bones in the body....go figure lol

My knuckle is still F'd from that accident back in August. The doc didn't feel it was necessary to look at.

Hand injuries seem to be a very common for some reason. Glove companies need to up their game!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yikes. I'm riding with a fractured scaphoid in my left hand, and 2 ruined shoulders. I can dislocate my shoulders at will. When I crashed at Spring Mountain, my right shoulder dislocated in an awkward funny way. It hurt a little the rest of the day.

Get that thing fixed!!! I waited YEARS before finally doing mine. And it was a waste, there was NO reason to wait. I endured FAR too much pain!

Mine would dislocate MANY times per month, often while I was sleeping. I would lay on it wrong. Then I couldn't move and had to have my ex roll me over so I could get it back in.

Don't wait! Mine was a grade 5, worst it gets... It was a 5 hour surgery and it was worth it.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
How about this one, not me but a guy I crew chief for. So the top pic was taken just after he crashed in his unlimited superbike race at Homestead speedway.

Well considering there was some STEEP competition there this weekend, we HAD to go back out... Robertino Pietri (MotoGP, AMA, etc...), Javier Del Amor (MotoGP), Dane Westby (AMA), Jason Farrell, etc...

Problem was the race was about an hour away... But... I got it fixed in time for the race (BARELY!) and Sean went out on it, bent clamps, one gas fork, one conventional fork, bent swingarm, bent subframe, etc...

And that's him, in first! Pretty awesome.

Reactions: GuffRR

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too broke a small bone in my left hand....started with an S. Apparently it was on of the slowest healing bones in the body....go figure lol

My knuckle is still F'd from that accident back in August. The doc didn't feel it was necessary to look at.

Hand injuries seem to be a very common for some reason. Glove companies need to up their game!

That's your scaphoid! Slowest healing bone! It doesn't get blood until the blood is on it's way back from your fingers, so it carries very little oxygen to help heal your bone. Ever get it fixed?

How's it effed up?

Very common because it's a natural instinct to put your hands in front of you to break a fall. That's why scaphoid protection is crucial. I use handroids now, and they've gone through 2 crashes. Still plenty of life in them!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about this one, not me but a guy I crew chief for. So the top pic was taken just after he crashed in his unlimited superbike race at Homestead speedway.

Well considering there was some STEEP competition there this weekend, we HAD to go back out... Robertino Pietri (MotoGP, AMA, etc...), Javier Del Amor (MotoGP), Dane Westby (AMA), Jason Farrell, etc...

Problem was the race was about an hour away... But... I got it fixed in time for the race (BARELY!) and Sean went out on it, bent clamps, one gas fork, one conventional fork, bent swingarm, bent subframe, etc...

And that's him, in first! Pretty awesome.

What should I get fixed? My scaphoid? Or my shoulders? Truthfully, I should get both fixed. My shoulders have been bad for 2 years now. My scaphoid probably going on a year. I'm working on getting the scaphoid fixed, but my insurance is garbage. It's considered non union at this point (3 months in a cast) then it was healed, and 4 weeks later it was broken again for unknown reasons. (Nothing hard was done).

I'll deal with my shoulders when i can. They don't bother me, except when I play basketball, and that's very rarely now.

Man, that's crazy that he rode the bike in that condition and took 1st against bikes that were properly assembled lol! Good job rebuilding it in under an hour!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts