Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound is minimal but annoying. Any ideas as to what is can be. Just changed the oil 2,000 ago. Bike only has 12,000 (2003 yr). Bike store said its normal...? Not a knocking sound. Someone mentioned timing?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bro I have a thread bout a tapping sound too.. I have has someone tell me timing chain tensioner, valve adjustment.. mine seems yo be exhaust related not sure getting those two things done next week.. just take ur fairings off n isolate the sound u will get better responses after u isolate it

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate it that! if you happen to find out since yours is going in, please post back. Just to simplify things!
Thx

·
Registered
342 Posts
My sound was coming more from the right side .. the guy at the shop sad he would bet its the tensioner which I was getting replaced anyways but also doing a valve adjustment like I said .. should get the bike.back sometime next week

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go to autozone/O'rileys/Pepboys/whoever your automotive supplier is and buy a stethescope with a metal extension rod on them.

Like $6.

Remove right side mid, remove tool case and pull back rubber cover.

Start bike and put metal extension rod on CCT.

Problem found (most likely) :cruising:

Good diagnostic tool to have so that you can find any annoying noises and isolate from the exhaust!

Choose to install manual CCT or replace with stock. Your choice.

Reactions: 2BROS600CBR/RR

·
Registered
24 Posts
What fuel you using? Should be higher octane or it will ping (pre-detonation)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had to put 92 in it cause its what they had when I ran out I usually use 93.. but im doing all my maintenance now anyway so I have all summer to not worry bout..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good guys. I have been reading up on the CCT and from what everyone says, yeah thats probably the problem.
Yanahmean - I use 93 in mine, always. I made the mistake of using 87 one time...and oh boy, never use that again. Thought the bike was gonna take a S*** on me! Just changed the oil about 1500 ago. Bike has 12,000 on it. 2003 yr. I understand that older bikes are gonna make noise but just trying to do small things to take care of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where I am at in Aus, The three main fuels available are 98, 95, and 91. I use 98 most of time but sometime 95 because not available everywhere. I used 91 once (my mower fuel) to get to work and back and it was pinging especially low revs under load.

I also had a ticking noise about a month after fitting slip on exhaust. That was fixed by retightening the engine pipe clamp

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well like I said mine is in the shop now.. I guess ill be putting octane boosters in my gas from now as well but they are gonna do The things I asked and then if the sound is still there ohwell ill know the motor is fine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't 03-06 bikes use regular octance gas? I know I read that in the owners manual some where.
Octane rating of 91, but it also says "if "spark knock" or "pinking" occurs at normal rev range under normal load, change brands of petrol."

I nearly always get 98, as over 15 litres the price isn't that much more for the best fuel available

·
Registered
342 Posts
Where do u guys live that u can get 98 octane?.. the maximum highest u can get at the pump here is 94 and that is very hard to find anymore plus $.50 more expensive per gallon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where do u guys live that u can get 98 octane?.. the maximum highest u can get at the pump here is 94 and that is very hard to find anymore plus $.50 more expensive per gallon

Brisbane Australia

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, we dont have 98 here. We have whats called VP Racing Fuel. Pretty much straight alcohol for racing. NOT putting that in the bike! Id like to keep it running for a while longer. Im pretty sure that the motor is fine, just trying to fix some things and quiet the bike down a little (except the 2 bros)! I am def leaning towards the CCT. The bike has 12000 on it. Oil change, CCT, possible valve adjustment and should be good. Thanks for all your help and input.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So got my bike diagnosed it was the clutch basket that contains the springs.. the springs were jiggling around inside making an awful rattle..

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
To those droning on about octane the guy using 98 is from aus... They use a different rating number than the us

Google for Ron / pon / mon those are the three main octane rating numbers

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
24 Posts
So got my bike diagnosed it was the clutch basket that contains the springs.. the springs were jiggling around inside making an awful rattle..

Great to get a solution hope its a cheap fix

To those droning on about octane the guy using 98 is from aus... They use a different rating number than the us

Google for Ron / pon / mon those are the three main octane rating numbers

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Thought it was strange when he said max was 94

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cheaper than what the technician originally thought but still pricey to me

1 - 20 of 35 Posts