Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a Pit this weekend. I kno i can remember some of you guys have them to. Do ya'll have any suggestions. How hard are they to keep with other dogs?

·
Registered
907 Posts
thats a vague question, it depends on it's temperment. That goes with any breed though.

a good reference is www.realpitbull.com

Temperament

If there was a manual describing ideal Pit Bull temperament, it would probably read something like this: "The Pit Bull is goofily friendly towards people--family, friends, and strangers alike. Known for its sound character, strong nerve, and great intelligence, the breed makes an ideal companion for households with children, while remaining strong and vigilent enough to protect its loved ones if need be. It is never necessary to embark on guard or attack training with this breed, as they are naturally attuned to their environment and intuitive about real threats. Although never aggressive towards people without real need, the Pit Bull is dog-aggressive, to varying degrees. The properly socialized and trained Pit Bull should not be an instigater, yet neither should he shy away from a challenge. The breed is known for its high prey drive, and so due caution should be exercised when cats, rabbits, domestic fowl, and other such animals are present. Aggression towards other animals should not be viewed as a fault, although excessive, uncontrollable aggression is neither desired nor correct. Aggression towards humans should be viewed as a serious fault.

As our "ideal temperament manual" states above, the Pit Bull is generally a very friendly, stable, safe breed. Although in recent years some individuals have misused the breed and the media have misrepresented it, aggression towards humans never was and still isn't what the Pit Bull is about. Human-aggression is a serious matter, and not something that should be taken lightly. Human aggressive dogs (i.e. dogs that bite/attempt to bite humans) are an aberration. Growling (i.e. over toys, food, when moved off the sofa, bed, etc.) should be considered a warning, and possibly a precursor to biting behavior. It is imperative that owners seek professional help if their dog is exhibiting any of these behaviors.

Because the Pit Bull is generally such a people-friendly breed, they often make poor guards of property. Many specimens of the breed will allow strangers to enter the home or yard without a fuss, whether the owner is present or not. As a guardian of his human, however, the Pit Bull is quite willing and able to intercept an attack. The breed is credited with having exceptional judgement and will react only to real threats. Because of the Pit Bull's generally poor guarding instincts and natural inclination to protect his owner if need be, it is best to stay away from any sort of guard or protection dog training. A good dog can be ruined quite easily, making for a wary, untrusting animal that may become a danger to humans. Do not try to make the Pit Bull into something he is not. If a serious guard or attack dog is what you desire, it is best to look to one of the breeds that have been specifically created for that type of work.

This breed is known to keep its owners laughing. They are silly, almost to the point of being rediculous. Flailing around upside down on their backs, laying with their heads draped off the side of the couch, engaging in rambunctious sprints around the living room (known to Pit Bull folk as "pit fits"), these dogs are always clowning around. They are active and energetic, and too much dog for some to handle, just the right amount for others.

Pit Bulls are generally quite aggressive towards other animals, although the degree of aggression will vary from dog to dog. Pit Bulls are naturally animal aggressive and it is therefore necessary for the Pit Bull owner to take certain precautions in the housing, training, and socialization of the animal. Pit Bulls also have a very strong prey drive. Small animals such as birds, squirrels and cats are often viewed as "hunting" targets. The young Pit Bull should be socialized from early on with many types of animals and other dogs. Basic early obedience training is a must. However, you cannot socialize or train away genetics. Since most Pit Bulls are pre-disposed to animal aggression, socialization and training are simply tools of management. A dog that has been raised properly will be easier to handle and control than a dog that has not been socialized or taught how to behave.

Animal aggression as it relates to the Pit Bull is a tricky thing. Even dogs that have never manifested the trait may, at some point, fire up and engage in a fight with another dog or suddenly begin to take a strong interest in small animals. Also, many specimens of the breed will never start a fight, yet will not back down if challenged.

Because Pit Bulls have a desire or even a compulsive instinct to fight, they are not necessarily looking to show dominance or obtain rank by aggressing. Even fairly submissive individuals cannot be trusted to remain out of trouble at all times. Allowing a Pit Bull to "work out rank" with other dogs is dangerous and may very well result in injuries. Although neutering can definately help in some cases (particularly with young males), do not count on the operation eliminating the aggression completely. Both sexes can be animal aggressive, although males can be more "firey". Same-sex aggression is a problem, and many a bitch-owner has stated that female fights are far worse than male-on-male bouts. Regardless of the sexes involved, it is generally felt that same-sex households are not a good idea, particularly for the novice owner.

Pit Bulls are slow to mature. A dog may not show his true temperament until he is 2 or 3 or even 4 years old. Just because your puppy has reached a year of age without having shown animal aggression does not mean he will never manifest the trait.

Pit Bulls can and do interact peacefully with other dogs and animals. Individual dog temperament, early training and socializing, all play an important role in whether or not a Pit Bull is capable of getting along with other animals. Many people successfully keep multiple Pit Bulls and other pets in the same household. Success is based on careful supervision, proper management and training, and the individual animals involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They're not hard to keep with other animals at all. Sometimes they do tend to get a little jelouse (can't spell). Just give your dog the time it requires and deserves and you won't have any problems. I'm on my third pit and I have also picked up an American Bulldog which is a pit/bull mastiff mix. They are great animals if you treat them right.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ALSO go here for the best pitbull forum you will find it's like 600rr.net for pitbulls

www.pitbullforum.com , time to do your homework.

Also here's my pit Burbon.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a pretty dog apbt.

We have a boston terrier, and my dad has a few dogs that live really close to us, so i'm going to try and socialize really well. I've already been looking at realpitbull.com i guess i'll check out the forum now.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question, she's just a puppy like 8wks. The back yard at my new house has a chain-link fence, like i guess 4ft high. Will i need to put up a 6ft privacy fence sooner or later, and how good of an inside dog will she be?

·
Registered
907 Posts
BenReilly said:
Another quick question, she's just a puppy like 8wks. The back yard at my new house has a chain-link fence, like i guess 4ft high. Will i need to put up a 6ft privacy fence sooner or later, and how good of an inside dog will she be?
Pit bulls are definitely escape artists. We have a 4 foot fence on the side of our backyard. Burbon will dig under it once in a while, just make sure you keep an eye on him. When i catch him doing it i yell at him and he gives up on for about a week so i'm out there with dirt and a shovel filling in his work. I can have him anywhere off leash and he'll stay with me and not run in the street after dogs or people or anything. But when it comes to leaving him alone he'll dig and get out under the fence and stay in the neighbors yard or just sitting out front my house...happened twice. So just be ready your in for an awesome/tiring time with your new pups.

Another thing is definitely work on your dogs recall. NOW THAT HE'S young start taking him places where he can be off leash and just get him to come to you when you call him. At that age they have no desire to really run off into nowhere they are kinda scared and dependent so its a great time to form a bond and become "alpha". Just walk around a field and they will follow you and each time he starts to go a little too far call him and get him to come to you.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Captainbone, how do you like the American Bulldog. The pit was my fiance's choice, i really wanted an american bulldog but couldn't find one close to me so i've just gotta watch and wait. Do the dogs get along well. Would it be better if i got the Bulldog while my pit is still a pup?

·
Registered
907 Posts
affirmative.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
yeah. Will (apbt) basically suggested the best advice anyone could give to a pitbull owner.

go to pitbullforum.com for anything u need advice on. food, health, laws, and just other pics of the breed.

Ben, remember to make the breed better by being a better OWNER. it takes plenty of work, especially starting at 8 weeks, and just leaving their mom. they need to learn bite inhibition, housebreaking. just read the site.

·
Registered
931 Posts
yo apbt600rr thast a nice dog! i am looking fora nice rednose to mate my female with.... he would be perfect. but im in NY and i dont know anyone that has any real nice rednose except for my dogs and my dogs family.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
faygo92 said:
yo apbt600rr thast a nice dog! i am looking fora nice rednose to mate my female with.... he would be perfect. but im in NY and i dont know anyone that has any real nice rednose except for my dogs and my dogs family.
i don't condone the backyard breeding, but it's your choice. there are serious complications that can arise, INCLUDING the death of the mother and ALL of her pups. it's happened before, and will happen again.

but if you're responsible, consult a professional breeder, and do things right, then good luck. red nose bullies are awesome.

·
Registered
931 Posts
well ness it would not be backyard cause they would be in my house! but i know what u mean and i am not one of those people that want to do it for the money or any of that ****. i just want my dog to have 1 litter in her life time and i think it would b good for her. i have not talked to any proffesionals about it, and i dont see why i need to. as long as i have done my research i dont see what the big deal is. the hardest part is deciding who to give the puppys to because i would worry about there life and want to make sure they go to a really good home!

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i tried working with her some last night after a LONG day. I got her to where she will come to me about one out of every 10 tries. I guess it's a start.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I miss having a puppy, wait no i don't man they were some rough times....

and thanks Faygo for the compliment, he's fixed. Nes hit the nail on the head also.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tried signing up for pitbullforums like twice already, i have yet to receive a conformation from them on the one i did yesterday, whats up with that?

·
Registered
907 Posts
BenReilly said:
I've tried signing up for pitbullforums like twice already, i have yet to receive a conformation from them on the one i did yesterday, whats up with that?
Your registered it says your the newest member over there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts