Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Do it. It's very possible on a cbr as long as you know when do rest and take breaks. How long are you planning for this? Why go from Portland to Utah and then back to sf? Portland to Utah or sf is a two day ride minimum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's possible, lots of things you can do to accomodate a long trip.

You can pack a lot if you want on a CBR.....

Plan on unassing the bike occasionally to stretch out, take some ibuprofen to help ease some of the aches/pains, know what the weather will be along your route and take appropriate gear. Don't overthink it, take a tire gauge, a flat kit and hit the road. If you stay overnight somewhere make sure the bike is secure. Take cash, some businesses in small towns don't take plastic, especially cafes. Most of all, enjoy the trip. If you make it work, it's no fun. Stop if you want to stop, enjoy the scenery and soak up the experience. Life's short, slow down and enjoy a piece of it........

·
Registered
397 Posts
Some more advise on tools. Bring something you can use to lift the rear wheel off the ground because you'll need to clean the chain every night. I used a packjack on my cross country trip and it worked just fine. You'll get tons of opinions on this, but I used WD-40 and a towel to clean the chain. 10K miles after, the chain looks and feels just fine. Use whatever you want to lube it afterwards. I brought other tools for my trip like allen wrenches, screw drivers, and even a socket to change loosen the rear axle nut for chain tension adjustment, but I ended up never using these tools.

You should change your oil before you go and not have to worry about it until you get back. Also think about how much life is left in your tires. I put on pilot road 2's for the trip. I have about 12K on the front now and 10.5K on the back. Both my front and rear should last another 2-3K miles. I've tested it and the tire offers plenty of grip in both dry / wet conditions and sticks all the way until the edge of the profile so don't worry about traction.

You should be prepared for extreme heat going from LA to Vegas and cool temps everywhere else. Going through Utah and the Grand Canyon, be ready for freezing temps. I had a Gerbings heated jacket liner and heated gloves to get through the really cold parts.

There's a long stretch between Barstow, CA and Vegas where none of the gas stations have premium. You can make it between Barstow, CA and Vegas on one full tank, but take it easy on the throttle and expect your gas light to be blinking by the time you get to Vegas.

Between Vegas and the Grand Canyon, check out Zion National Park. Also the ride around Monument Valley will be a real treat. There are pictures of these places in the cross country link in my sig.

If you're planning on doing this trip this year, you should head out very soon. It's only going to get colder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts