Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I have loved motorcycles since I was little but my mother always said no and after I turned 18 begged me not to get one. Finally hit the point where I can afford one myself and have worked my mom into not worrying about me riding. I have ridden a handful of times, one of my old roommates used to have a ninja that I road a bunch, around the neighborhood we lived in just so I could get a feel for it and a few times around town(not the best idea since no license no experience).
I want to get an RR because I love everything about them, always have always will. I plan on taking the MSF course then picking up my RR and slowly learning on it. I want to get onto the track and continue taking some track courses because its something I really want to get into if I can. However, I am a little scared of the bike just because I know how dangerous they are and I have heard that they aren't the best starter bikes. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get a starter then turn around 6 months later and pick up a new RR.
I know I have read a bunch of posts about whether or not to get one as a first bike, but I just wanted some of your opinions on it because of the fact the bike still scares me. I respect it but even without riding one I am still nervous with having one between my legs(ie the ninja). I don't know if this would change over time as I got comfortable or if I should just stop considering to ride.

Please don't flame on this I just want to see what you all think. :flamethrower:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, whats the best way to go about being a new rider? ride with others or ride by myself? anything that you all could suggest.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
dont worry too much about it as a first bike especially if you are taking the msf course and have some experience. just take it easy and learn at your own pace. the first bike i rode was a suzuki intruder 800. i rode it maybe twice then jumped on my cousins 600 which is now mine. good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's more up to you if the RR can be a starter bike or not. You're the one controlling the throttle, theres no shame in getting accustomed to the bike in a parking lot. When you start you should ride with someone else who is ok with riding at a learning pace. Really the bike is pretty easy to get used to, it's more about getting used to being on two wheels on the road.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
It's more up to you if the RR can be a starter bike or not. You're the one controlling the throttle, theres no shame in getting accustomed to the bike in a parking lot. When you start you should ride with someone else who is ok with riding at a learning pace. Really the bike is pretty easy to get used to, it's more about getting used to being on two wheels on the road.
:+1:Exactly.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hi all,
So I have loved motorcycles since I was little but my mother always said no and after I turned 18 begged me not to get one. Finally hit the point where I can afford one myself and have worked my mom into not worrying about me riding. I have ridden a handful of times, one of my old roommates used to have a ninja that I road a bunch, around the neighborhood we lived in just so I could get a feel for it and a few times around town(not the best idea since no license no experience).
I want to get an RR because I love everything about them, always have always will. I plan on taking the MSF course then picking up my RR and slowly learning on it. I want to get onto the track and continue taking some track courses because its something I really want to get into if I can. However, I am a little scared of the bike just because I know how dangerous they are and I have heard that they aren't the best starter bikes. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get a starter then turn around 6 months later and pick up a new RR.
I know I have read a bunch of posts about whether or not to get one as a first bike, but I just wanted some of your opinions on it because of the fact the bike still scares me. I respect it but even without riding one I am still nervous with having one between my legs(ie the ninja). I don't know if this would change over time as I got comfortable or if I should just stop considering to ride.

Please don't flame on this I just want to see what you all think. :flamethrower:

I'd say, go w/your gut and get something that is a little more manageable.

While you're reluctant to "upgrade" in 6 months, in reality it make take a couple of years before you do so. In that time, you could potentially save yourself thousands of dollars between having a new RR and a used learner bike.

The supersport spec class isn't going anywhere anytime soon. From a Honda perspective, you're not going anywhere w/that model line either. From the original Hurricane, F2, F3, F4, F4i to the 600RR.

·
Registered
225 Posts
weirddddd. somebody that has a good answer to the first bike question

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
my advice to you on buying your first bike:
look for a cheap one.
something that when you drop it, and you will, you will not be crying over a few scuffs and scratches.
you can find bikes for under a grand, oil change tires and a few other tweaks and you will have a bike. keep saving your money and then when you feel comfy with it, sell it and buy an RR.
ive always wanted an RR since 03, but i started riding on old bikes that i could afford.

it doesnt really matter what you ride dude, if its your first bike you will fukn love it.

but keep doing what youre doing as far as getting insight from ppl who have been around the block. taking your riding course, and read articles about street riding.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138489

good luck and keep it safe bro.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good advice here. You will be more careful with a brand new bike, perhaps overly careful. You may learn to ride quicker on a bike that you won't be quite as afraid of getting as many scuffs on.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
i would advise you to get something different for a first bike. A buddy of mine started on a ninja 500 last spring and it seems to have been perfect. It was enjoyable for him for two years and over 8k miles, and at the same time was a fairly forgiving bike. Only problem is it looks like ass.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Hi all,

Honestly, I think a 600 is perfectly fine to start on, especially a CBR circa '07+. They are very easy to ride, and power not really crazy until you get above 8k-9k rpms.

A ninja 250 is also a great bike, but I know for a fact after my first 10 hours of ride time on my CBR600RR (which was entirely in a small parking lot) I would have hated that ninja within a few hours after actually getting on the road. The little ninja that could is great for learning clutch and throttle control, but with any modest skills in hand/eye coordination and feedback from your environment, the CBR600RR will yield similar results in no time. I am very happy I went with the 600rr as my first bike. :cruising:

With that in mind, I however say this... If you were always the last kid in gym class to get picked for dodge ball, then maybe you should consider something a little less powerfull.... :crackup:

If you go with a 600rr I would suggest just practicing in a parking lot for 10 to 20 hours. Practice all the MSF skills. Just know this... You might drop the bike!!! But at parking lot speeds you (most likely) wont get seriously hurt (wear your gear), and typically if your going to drop it at those low speeds its probably because you grabbed the front brake, and you'll be moving near 0 mph when the bike finally goes down. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take a look at my "how long...comfortable" thread. Lot of good advice in that thread. I got a 600rr as a first bike 3-4 weeks ago. I regretted it the first few times I got on it as it scared the $hit out of me. But now I have about 8 hrs of riding time and am glad I got it. I take it super easy though. I haven't experience the real power of the bike yet (except while going straight with no other cars around). Just taking it one step at a time.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I got a 600rr as a first bike 3-4 weeks ago. I regretted it the first few times I got on it as it scared the $hit out of me. But now I have about 8 hrs of riding time and am glad I got it.

You have 8 hours of ride time... Do not voice an opinion here... LOL...

For me, my first month I added 2000 miles to my bike.... HAHAHA

·
Registered
162 Posts
You have 8 hours of ride time... Do not voice an opinion here... LOL...

For me, my first month I added 2000 miles to my bike.... HAHAHA
I advised him to check out my thread with advice from experienced riders. Advice I took and part of the reason I feel comfortable with my bike now.

I work and have a family so 2000 miles in a month is not possible for me. Maybe it is is pimpville. From what I've read in other threads, your posts aren't valued much either. :fyou:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Octane2010 don't need to be worried about the dodgeball thing haha.
I really am just nervous about the power my first car was a WRX super easy to drive but first stick and first car with power. I'd prefer not to wreck a 10grand investment nor myself :)

Thanks again for all the input its really helpful.

What course would you suggest after the msf course? And I was planning on trucking the bike home and going to a school like you guys mentioned to do. I plan on getting boots gloves helmet and jacket(with back protector) should I worry about buying pants or shin guards? And do you have any recommendations on a full boot I can walk around in?

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I advised him to check out my thread with advice from experienced riders. Advice I took and part of the reason I feel comfortable with my bike now.

I work and have a family so 2000 miles in a month is not possible for me. Maybe it is is pimpville. From what I've read in other threads, your posts aren't valued much either. :fyou:
Oh snap! :ciao:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I really am just nervous about the power my first car was a WRX super easy to drive but first stick and first car with power. I'd prefer not to wreck a 10grand investment nor myself :)

What course would you suggest after the msf course? And I was planning on trucking the bike home and going to a school like you guys mentioned to do. I plan on getting boots gloves helmet and jacket(with back protector) should I worry about buying pants or shin guards? And do you have any recommendations on a full boot I can walk around in?
after the msf course buy all the basic gear ride around the neighbor hood/local area riding makes perfect keep in mind you are in control just take it very easy.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts

MSF first yep (not what I did). I got my bike before my scheduled class and took it out like I said in prior posts/threads. I rode around a parking lot for 3 weekends, practicing all the MSF skills. Then the 4th week I took it out into the local residential streets, 25mph speed limit. I rode around that for 1 day. The next few rides I would warm up in the neighborhood, and then hit the 45mph highways.

My MSF class time still hadn't come up, but I wanted to be legal, so me and a buddy went to the DMV, and I took my skills test (already passed written 100% correct). I passed the DMV skills test. During the cone weave I hit 2 cones and put my foot down once. In the 90 degree turn I put my foot down. Everything else was perfect. The emergency weave and stop was no problem at a all, u turn no problem.

When I finally went to my MSF it was a breeze, and I didnt learn a thing. Understand this though. I had been studying riding a sportbike for almost 3 years prior.

All said, my 4th week of riding(first week of actual street), and I had an 'OH ****' moment. It was OH **** I GET IT!!! I was so happy... I was leaning off my bike, accelerating quickly, etc. I was so happy. It was like 6 am, and traffic was light, sunrise was perfect, the temps cool, scenery awesome. I was "high" on the moment. Waving, pointing, and thumbs up to cagers and construction workers. They were all waving back, it was cool. :) Having fun ya know! :cruising:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
My advice is to get a used CBR; maybe an 05/06 which are around $4k or 07 for around $5k. that way if you drop it (and you will) it wont be to hard to bear vs dropping a brand new bike.

Looks like you have the right approach. If you're humble and willing to learn and keep your ego in check, i think you'll be just fine. MSF is a big help, and finding more experienced and mature riders to ride with is definitely a plus.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts