Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don't care to ever peel off the plasti dip, is there any advantage to this over spray paint? I'm thinking about doing my fairings all matte black with gold emblems and I'm not really sure the best way to go about doing this. This is more/less a shot at a cheaper alternative than searching for and replacing all my fairings with matching graphics. I've read great things about plasti dip, but not much on why I'd want that over just regular spray paint (other than the ability to peel it off).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My experience with spray paint is that it scuffs up pretty easily. Maybe I'm not using the correct kind of clear coat???

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Don't use spray paint on OEM fairings. The stuff is a PITA to deal with in prep work if you ever want to go back to an actual paint job. If all you're doing is painting a matte color take it to a body shop. It's not as expensive to paint as you would think. In the end you'll be much happier with the results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may be suprised at how cheap it is for some simple matte black. And it will last a lot longer. But def stay away from plasti dip for that

·
Registered
74 Posts
yea i plasti dipped my tail fairing to see how it would come out, it looked nice but after a couple ride idk if it was from having a passenger or maybe my boot from getting on but it started to peel in a few spots. I would paint

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright then. I guess I'll keep an eye out for cheap fairings and either try to match my red or go with the matte black. Thanks guys

·
Registered
714 Posts
if you suck at spraying use plastidip since you will be able to peel it off. spray paint once u f it up it can get really messy.. then it will blob up and the coats will be too thick. then you gotta sand it down and yada yada. why paint over oem tho? itll reduce its value but i guess its ok since you crashed em allrdy (if i remember correctly)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you suck at spraying use plastidip since you will be able to peel it off. spray paint once u f it up it can get really messy.. then it will blob up and the coats will be too thick. then you gotta sand it down and yada yada. why paint over oem tho? itll reduce its value but i guess its ok since you crashed em allrdy (if i remember correctly)
I have one good fairing. I was thinking I could broaden my search for scuffed fairings or mismatched stuff and then paint it all matte black.

·
Registered
714 Posts
oh ok sounds good and that is what you want permanently so i would just use spraypaint and just be very careful. will have a better bond and durability since its not as easily removable as plastidip

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience with spray paint is that it scuffs up pretty easily. Maybe I'm not using the correct kind of clear coat???
i also ran into this problem with the spray paint, even with three coats. im not 100% sure but i think the reason it does that is because its a low grade paint. places like napa auto parts color match paint, and they can put it in an aerosol can for you as well. it costs about 17 bucks a can

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think plasti dib is good for small, hardly touched areas. Also good for trying out how the color would turn out since if you dont like it, you can peel it off.

It has different texture than smooth matte paint finish though, almost rubber like.

Btw, i love peeling off plasti dib lol science is amazing:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Plasti-Dip is great for any size. BUT if it a heavy use area, it will eventually "chip/peel/wear" and once that starts, there is no saving it. You can't sand it sound and re-coat an area, you have to peel and start all over.

And that is actually what makes Plasti-Dip a pain in the arse if you don't have experience painting. You get a run? Start over. A bubble? Start over. At least with paint, you can almost always fix it.

For those that are having quality issues with the paint itself. I would suggest finding a Auto Body Paint supply store (If Anchorage, AK has 3-4 of them, I am sure anyone can find one local, Some NAPA's have them also). You can give them your color code and they can make you a rattle can of it. They will also have high quality clear coat in rattle cans (the kind that once activated, you have a set number of house you have to use it in).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts