Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one of the two threads for the ECU bracket has finally given out on me. I knew it was going to happen eventually.

The new cover from Honda is like $53 so obviously I'd rather repair it than replace it. I'll be watching for a used one for an 03 in the for sale section so PM me if you know of one for sale.

I'm not really keen on the idea of using a helicoil or other thread insert since it seems to be hard to find one that matches the original dimensions and pitch of the bolt. I'd rather not have two different size bolts in there, but its just a phillips head so it wouldn't matter too much.

I've seen the loctite form-a-thread and it looks like the best option at this point, but its $25 shipped to me (can't find it locally) so if it doesn't work I'm already at half the cost of a new cover.

Similarly I've read of people coating the bolt with lube and JB weld then sticking all in the hole and letting the JB weld cure. This would probably be the cheapest option. I've honestly never used JB weld so I'm not familiar with how hard it is when it sets up. Could I just fill the hole completely with JB weld, drill it out, and let the coarse threads of the bolt form their own threads in the JB weld?

Any other options I'm not thinking of?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go buy 2 oversized screws and sink them in.....?

at least same dims......
Ya, that would work but OCD wants a solution that uses the same screw.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the good screw, and use zip ties. Nothing wrong with zipties at all, easy to remove, easy to replace, no worry about cross threading/stripping.
The holes for the ECU bracket don't open into the airbox so I'd rather not open them up especially without resealing them with a screw.

Its weird because the screw was still holding ok, just spinning infinitely. I tried the greased screw and JB weld trick. We'll see how it turns out once its set up.

Reactions: SaratogaLED

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just buy a fractionally bigger plastic screw from miners (ace hardware) and be done with it.

It'll cost you like 25 cents tops and it will work absolutely perfectly

Reactions: SaratogaLED
1 - 6 of 6 Posts