Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much a plastic welder would charge to repair a crack around an indicator area on the front fairing, what about painting.
Its half cracked, but still together, has been for ages, with looking in detail many wouldnt notice the damage.

Anyone had a repair Job to this area of their Bike??

Please PM me if anyone can shed some light on this... Only for my bike falling over at Phillip Island GP last year, all would be fine, at least the damage was minimal...It was very soft ground but still makes me :sign18:

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I tried to do plastic welding before with a cheap setup from Harbor Freight, waste of time.

Jason

·
Registered
393 Posts
i took mine to midas and they charged me 40 bucks per inch....wasnt too big so i didnt have a problem... the paint sucked cause they couldnt match the factory color.... so i sold the bike afterwards:)

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
Unique RR said:
I fiber glassed and sanded.... GOOD AS NEW!
does the fiberglass stick to the plastic well? have any before and after pics?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I used a jb weld product to fix a rather large crack on the mid from where the tire was pushed into it during a crash. It was right on the point where it turns buck and returns toward the radiator. Still holding up very well.

·
Registered
960 Posts
hitman83 said:
Hell Ya it does! I dont have any pix becasue the bike is already painted! But used FG sanded it and it came out perfected. WAYYYYY cheaper than but new plastics and TOO me stronger than the factory!

·
Registered
393 Posts
LTSrr said:
I used a jb weld product to fix a rather large crack on the mid from where the tire was pushed into it during a crash. It was right on the point where it turns buck and returns toward the radiator. Still holding up very well.
i used jb weld as well in some parts and it held up pretty good...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I worked on boats for years, fiberglass will hold on plastic only if its sanded pretty course, as it is not made for that purpose. To weld plastic you need a heavy duty soldering gun and the right kind of plastic sticks. This is the stuff I use and it comes out great and the material in the pictures is super strong.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pretty sure that the plastics on our bikes are thermoset plastics and can't be plastic welded (succesfully). Even if they could be plastic welded, when complete, a plastic weld relies on the reinforcement from the filler rod to hold it together. Seeing as though that filler would be sanded flat it would really do no good. Better off using Bubble Gum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
fiberglass is a bad idea, it will not flex the same as the factory plastics in result over time with vibrations it will break out, 2 ways to doin it is plastic welding it, even a cheap soldering iron would work, or get a tube of heat set made by fusor at a body supply shop, as far as coler there should be a paint code that can get cross referenced from honda to per say ppg or basf paint if not you can get a profit picture taken and coler matched, if thats not close u can still tint it, it all takes time. If anyone on here has questions pm me or post them up, this coming from a person that does body work for a living!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
hitman83 said:
come on over and look at Arts gixxer...he busted the tail into like 10 pieces and fiberglassed it up...looks good as new.. that **** sticks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts