Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike has. 1,700 miles and after a 20 min ride tonight I smelled a burning smell when I parked it. Not real heavy but very faint. I've always noticed the clutch lever has a bit of play in it before I start feeling resistance. In the video I'm about to post you can see what I mean. Would this cause maybe the clutch to be partially engaged while riding?
Video:

http://s.photobucket.com/user/mrstudness/media/Mobile Uploads/Video_zps2990435b.mp4.html

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used to think I smelled something burning, it turned out to be the exhaust headers, and from what I've read, a lot of CBR's do it after some mileage. My clutch also releases near the end of the lever but it still very strong with no slippage or anything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
460 Posts
Buy yes if your clutch isn't adjusted correctly and you're only partially engaging and disengaging it, it can cause it.. You might want to take a look at the cables and adjust then to your preference

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Is it a 'new' smell? have a mechanic smell it.. Every burning smell is unique, if you tend to shower the bike with cleaners and wd-40, could be that on your exhaust pipee...also can be dragging brakes, plastics or wires out of place, coolant on the pipes, or slipping clutch ( doubt it though, more play at lever -> slip less likely, unless cable adjustments is needed down at the cover or clutch is nearing end of its life)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
244 Posts
I get a burning smell from my brakes when ive been braking hard. And I also think ive got disc warp. So that could be it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
My bike has. 1,700 miles and after a 20 min ride tonight I smelled a burning smell when I parked it. Not real heavy but very faint. I've always noticed the clutch lever has a bit of play in it before I start feeling resistance. In the video I'm about to post you can see what I mean. Would this cause maybe the clutch to be partially engaged while riding?
The clutch lever should have play in it before you feel resistance. 10 - 20mm is specified.

At 1700 miles I seriously doubt you have a problem. Stop worrying and enjoy riding.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I get a burning smell from my brakes when ive been braking hard. And I also think ive got disc warp. So that could be it?
If its exactly the same smell, probably yes. You can lift the front wheel and spin it as hard as you could, it should do 1.5 - 2 spins i think (some1 can confirm?) if less, its dragging, also stopping suddenly earlier means bad rotor.. However you should be able to tell bad rotors if front vibrates when braking hard from around 60mph..

·
Registered
244 Posts
If its exactly the same smell, probably yes. You can lift the front wheel and spin it as hard as you could, it should do 1.5 - 2 spins i think (some1 can confirm?) if less, its dragging, also stopping suddenly earlier means bad rotor.. However you should be able to tell bad rotors if front vibrates when braking hard from around 60mph..

Haha if thats true then I definitely have disc warp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought it and have only ridden it twice so I dunno if it's something new or not. I'm still trying to post this damn vid. Standby

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
There's should be play in a clutch lever before it pulls the lever on the clutch case. According to the video the play in the clutch lever is activating the clutch a little. This isn't causing to clutch to fully disengage. Unless I missed something in the video lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just do a clutch test, if it passes, then no your clutch is not slipping...roll 20 mph in 3rd ir 4th, open throttle completely, see if it slips up to 8-9k rpm...then go to the 'track' hit 2nd go wot till redline, if it doesn't slip then no its not your clutch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts