Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys , have a 2005 i bought a couple of weeks ago. definately not a mechanic and at my wits end at the moment.

Issue i am having is , looks like when the bike gets hot and possibly when the fan comes on the bike loses all power , almost like its getting no fuel type of thing. i can hold the throttle wide open and it will just spurt a little but keep dying. if i put the clutch in i can rev the bike no issue its only when i let the clutch out again it dies. When bike is cold it drives fine for about 30min or so , only happens after riding for a while
So after alot of research , i went to check the fuses and relays and will be replacing all the relays just in case but when i was opening up i came across the is loose wire. its on a blue plug and the other wire is still connected and running somewhere but the other one is hanging loose as you can see. ( not sure if this has anything to do with problem )

Please guys any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Fuel pump.

Search the forum on the topic, follow the troubleshooting advice in your service manual but my bet is the pump is bad.

When it quits open the fuel cap and see if you have air rushing in, might also be a vapor lock issue.

There are two areas for you to look at.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Stupid question but what do you mean by air rushing in if i open the fuel cap.

Do you mean when i open the fuel cap i must listen if i hear like a vacuuming sound of air being sucked?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
hi there Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Stupid question but what do you mean by air rushing in if i open the fuel cap.

Do you mean when i open the fuel cap i must listen if i hear like a vacuuming sound of air being sucked?
Yeah, the words didn't come out right but you're listening for a whooshing sound which if you hear means your tank vent isn't working and the bike is starving for fuel. Find your vent hoses, check their operation and be sure they are not plugged or pinched and that your gas cap seals correctly.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds simple but one time I when I put my gas tank back on I was pinching the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel rail and was baffled by why I would lose throttle at 6-7K rpms. Wouldn't hurt to look at the fuel line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the replies. will try both those. I only got the bike 2 weeks ago and didnt do it on the test ride so didnt know about the problem.

Only thing baffling me is that it doesnt do it all the time.

I can run down to the shops on the bike or go to friends house and bike will run perfectly.
Its only if i ride for longer than 30min or so then it starts with this. turn bike off , have a cigerette , restart bike and then its fine again??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
temp runs fine , normal open road cruising it runs at +- 80deg celcius and sitting in town traffic goes up to about 95-100 max

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys

dont know how to change topic heading to solved but mechanic phoned me today and he seems to have found the problem.

Bike was standing for 6 months so i guess thats what caused the following.

He says tank was rusted in its chops , so the fuel pump has been grinding up on rust particles and loosing fuel pressure.
So he is going to overhaul the pump and acid treat the tank. So lets hope that sorts it out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem Solved

Hi guys just to give you feedback.

Problem was sorted out , it was the rust in the tank that destroyed the fuel pump.
Eventually had to put a 2nd hand fuel pump in as there was no stock in country and damn expensive.
So 2nd hand pump and an acid clean and treatment of the tank and bike it 100% better and even feels a little more responsive

1 - 11 of 11 Posts