Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to change my oil but the drain plug is stripped and stuck. I have tried wd-40 and vice grips and still nothing! Anyone know any tricks to get this off? Please help, thank you!

D

·
0 Posts
Carefully drill a hole through the bolt, making sure to stay in the center of the bolt, and use an EZ out. It works well from my experience.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Or you can use tighten the vice grips REALLY good with help of a barbarian or viking =)

But +1 on Drilling it out.

D

·
0 Posts
Or you can use tighten the vice grips REALLY good with help of a barbarian or viking =)

But +1 on Drilling it out.
The drain plug is a really soft steel and vice grips just destroy the head without gripping onto anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
woah woah....before you go drilling holes in something, try this. It has worked for me. Start the bike and let it warm up to operating temps, about 170, or just take it for a spin. While the bike is still hot, and not running, use your vise grips and try to loosen it. It should come right out, just be careful because the oil will be hot as hell. If that fails, then drill away.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is an EZ out. You drill a hole then put this attachment on your drill and throw her in reverse. The bit should burrow itself in the hole you drilled and back the bolt out

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't even think of drilling it. Spot weld a nut on the end of the plug and loosen as normal. Don't have a welder? An independent shop shouldn't charge more than a few bucks and 2-3 minutes to spot the nut on there. EZ outs are usually more trouble than they are worth. If the plug was tight enough to strip the head you'll prolly just bust off the EZ out anyways...

·
Registered
991 Posts
On the contrary, Ive had quiet a lot of experience with EZ outs. Never had any problems ever... so not sure what is the problem? Especially in the case of the oil drain bolt, its got a relatively large head on it, so it should be cake. Get a little drill bit and drill it in maybe 1/4" (maybe less) then put the EZ out on and away you go. If you dont want to buy the EZ out I have heard of people drilling a hole through the bolt head horizantally then putting a small screw driver through the head and turning it out that way. Personally Im still for the EZ out, plus next time when you break the head off the bolt you will have the tools to get it out.

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't even think of drilling it. Spot weld a nut on the end of the plug and loosen as normal. Don't have a welder? An independent shop shouldn't charge more than a few bucks and 2-3 minutes to spot the nut on there. EZ outs are usually more trouble than they are worth. If the plug was tight enough to strip the head you'll prolly just bust off the EZ out anyways...
Real bad idea. You never want to weld onto a steel bolt, especially one made of soft mild steel that is threaded into aluminum.

EZ-out's will never give you an issue if you use them right. I used one the other day to get a broken lug out of his locking lug nuts that got cross threaded.

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^^^ Probably used the wrong sized socket/wrench in the first place and now its a nice smooth cylinder. Still, you are right, I am pretty sure I could get any bolt off with vice grips as long as you get the right setting and position the bolt in the center of the arch of the grips along the grooves.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
throw away the vice grips, get yourself a small pipe wrench, when used correctly they grip tighter with more force. and dont be afraid to put a small pipe on the pipe wrench for more leverage, just dont knock your bike over doing it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts