Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum even though I have gotten a lot of good info from here. But now I am in need of help!!! I have a 2008 600rr, a day ago I installed new shorty levers and took it for a spin, and that's when everything turned bad. I drove 5 mins away from my house and after using the front brake somehouse the plunger in the master came out of the little slot it sits in and locked up my front brake while I was riding.. good thing I wasn't going fast. At first I thought it was clutch so I tried to give it some revs but it wouldn't go.. so I turned it off opened the bleeder to release pressure and pushed it to side. Now after I restarted it I hear a sound that's very similar to rod knock or maybe it is?? Plus very strange but my chane got really loose. So pretty much within 10 secs chain is loose and very unpleasant sound. (My rear tire did a burn out but only for 1-2 seconds max)

Any advice would be great thanks

Registered
Hi and welcome! 馃憢

Sounds like your bike needs more maintenance. Take it to shoppe to do brakes and chain-replacement on schedule in owner's manual.

Seems your shorty-levers aren't compatible? Compare all dimension carefully with stock. Many have pivots in slightly different place . Changes push-rod stroke and swing to master-cylinder. Also brake-switch may not work properly. Put factory levers back on, brakes will work perfectly fine like when bike left showroom floor.

Chain is loose because rear-axle slipped when applying extra force to over come brakes. Very fortunate that it did at standstill and not freeway speeds. Chain flying off sprockets is easy way to lose engine or leg. Be sure to lock down locknuts on chain-adjuster. And to torque axle nut to values given in manual with torque wrench.

Reactions: tary preisser

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply.. I'm a car mechanic, so i do my own maintenance, the thing is my rear axle is tight and the adjustment bolts are all where they were and did not move at all. And also what could be the sound that's my main concern, it really sounds like rod knock. Is it even possible for it to start knocking within 10 seconds. Or it can only start over some time of operating. Also the bike never ran low on oil and got a fresh oil change like a week before this.

Registered
Rod-knock seems unlikely in your case. Some other adjustment somewhere must've slipped to cause noise. Perhaps CCT?

It actually takes while for rod-bearings to wear out due to lack of oil. At WOT it may only be seconds. At idle, engine may last for hours. Partial-throttle can be anywhere in between. If engine never lacked oil, rod-bearings very unlikely.

Interesting factoid is follow-up to VFR750's introduction and world-records setting: Honda鈥檚 1986 VFR750F Interceptor . Honda didn't want their record-setting bikes to fall into wrong hands, so they had engines destroyed. This was done by running WOT on dyno after oil was drained. It took 90-minutes for engines to overheat and seize!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts