Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Article and Video at CNN

The video shows a student identified as John "Jack" McKenna skipping down the street and approaching two officers on horseback. After a brief exchange, two officers on foot slam McKenna against a wall and he falls to the ground. A third officer joins the first two, and the three strike McKenna with nightsticks while he is on the ground as other students scatter.
Are you scared yet? :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Govt talks about mob mentality with protesters and public celebrations, that also goes with the units called out for law enforcement. It only takes one police officer without a video to ruin your life.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Looks like some cops over reacted and then got caught lying. This is bad for those involved. Oh yeah and someone's gonna get PAID.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
two FIRED officers
one suspended indefinitely pending investigations by the IAB, CCRB, and the DA's office most likely (prosecutors).

and one pending multi-million dollar lawsuit vs. the city of Maryland...and 3 civil lawsuits pending vs. the individual officers.

can't you just wait 'til it's a full on police state?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
More importantly... Who was holding that camera? I think that guy's in for some trouble...
it is NOT illegal to photograph or film police, as they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.

You are allowed to film in most public places. Had something happened to the officers instead of the civilian, the video would be used to prosecute the guilty parties.

An officer cannot tell you to put away a camera or turn it off, or search the videos in that camera, unless they deem it as a possible weapon (where you're the suspect or detained individual). You have rights against illegal search and seizure, as long as you clearly state "I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS ILLEGAL SEARCH!"

·
Registered
147 Posts
something happened like this in Md College park about 1 day ago to.. that is just sad man

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
it is NOT illegal to photograph or film police, as they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.

You are allowed to film in most public places. Had something happened to the officers instead of the civilian, the video would be used to prosecute the guilty parties.

An officer cannot tell you to put away a camera or turn it off, or search the videos in that camera, unless they deem it as a possible weapon (where you're the suspect or detained individual). You have rights against illegal search and seizure, as long as you clearly state "I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS ILLEGAL SEARCH!"
Sounds like you're been staying away from the MD police that pulled a gun on the motorcyclist thread. They are trying to nail him for illegally recording audio in a dual consent state... Because he posted the video of the incident online.

Unfortunately, there have been several convictions based on those laws. I agree with you, I was mostly joking around/referring to that 10pg thread.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sounds like you're been staying away from the MD police that pulled a gun on the motorcyclist thread. They are trying to nail him for illegally recording audio in a dual consent state... Because he posted the video of the incident online.

Unfortunately, there have been several convictions based on those laws. I agree with you, I was mostly joking around/referring to that 10pg thread.
That Maryland State Trooper's camera most likely was rolling anyway.

But yeah, local laws vary.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
here's a list of "one-" and "two-" party consent States, as pertaining to TELEPHONE conversations (I would guess video with Audio recordings fall under this law in some states).

one- and two- party consent states list, as pertaining to recorded Telephone conversations

two-party states require consent by both parties.

TWO PARTY CONSENT STATES

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Washington
Illinois

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
here's a list of "one-" and "two-" party consent States, as pertaining to TELEPHONE conversations (I would guess video with Audio recordings fall under this law in some states).
It's actually very specifically the audio. If the kid would have posted just the video (muted audio) I'm pretty certain these laws/loophole wouldn't apply.

The laws (as I understand them) were originally designed to protect people from being baited/walking into a trap over the phone/private meeting. I.e. I need to sue someone for something so I get them on the phone and figure out a way to get them to incriminate themselves while I'm recording the entire conversation. Next day I show up in court with a tape of you saying exactly what I'm suing your for.

That's what the two-party consent laws are supposed to prevent. That evidence would be inadmissible, and technically illegal to gather in the first place.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts