Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A NY State Trooper is dead because he chased a speeding motorcycle.

Lets discuss!

If any of you happen to be police officers or know the procedures/rules for a high-speed bike chase can you please put up a reply? I think it's incredibly stupid for any police officer to even attempt to continue to try to chase a bike that obviously isn't going to stop. How can anyone with half a brain think that a Ford Crown Vic has any hope whatsoever at safely keeping up with a speeding motorcycle? They were able to find the biker after the Trooper died, so they could have just as easily found him without the 100+mph chase don't you think?

Here's a couple links.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Public_Information/Trooper_Todeschini.cfm

http://www.news10now.com/content/all_news/?ArID=65114&SecID=83

I am in no way condoning high speed on public highways, or looking for tactics to be able to avoid the police. My issue here, is that I believe that the State Trooper made mistakes that resulted in his death. In the news article, the DA says that the speeding motorcycle should not be ignored because it's a danger to the children playing in the community?? What about the 4,000+ pound police car that's also speeding out of control into a tree? Is that a danger? Also...isn't continuing to pursue a bike that obviously isn't going to stop more likely to cause the biker to crash as well as the officer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The rules are different all over North America. I am like 99% sure that in Vancouver, (maybe BC), high speed chases are really rare, and called off a lot sooner then in the US. I know they don't pursue motorbikes very fast. Mind you there aren't as many car chases in Canada as the states, or as much crime. I know the states has crazy car chase rules, watching all those shows like "100 best police chase videos" or whatever :p

I think it sort of always needs to depend on the situation. ie The type of crime commited, location of chase, etc. I mean, they do that to a degree, it just needs to be better thought out. Pursuing a bike or car at 130 mph on the highway is a lot safer then chasing one going 60 on city streets, or whatever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other thing that I ran across while reading about this....The Trooper was driving an SUV, probably a Chevy Tahoe. Everyone here is putting the blame on the biker, who claims to not even know that he was being chased. Not one single news report that I've read says that the Trooper was in the wrong for "outdriving" the vehicle, or his abilities to operate the vehicle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
if the rider said he didnt see the cop, unless he's blind or the cop was an unmark police car....he's full of you know what, 100mph or not i am 99.9935786% sure he saw the police and try to elude

was it a mistake of him to give chase ? absolutely not, its his job and he did the right thing....but he shouldve driven within his limit

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wonder if this kid got the same "I didn't know I was being chased" cop out that the guy here in TX used a few months ago. He also claimed it was b/c of his diabetes, but you can watch the tape of it and know that he knew he was being chased.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
first of all, no one here knows exactly how fast he was going. he could've been clipping along a steady 110 to 130...ducked under the windscreen with the mirrors pointing up. and 6pm last sunday was broad daylight, and there is a good chance that the kid did not see or hear the SUV trooper. i take a 4hour bus ride out to lake onandaga every year and that place is full of open roads. JeepboyNY is probably right about the SUV, that county is 99percent nature.

OR...

he was running, guilty as charged

REGARDLESS, suv attempting to catch up to sportbikes? it's almost pointless.

NEVERTHELESS, RIP to fallen police officer.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
hmm, I dont know if you can blame the rider for the death of the trooper.
Its not the riders fault that the trooper crashed. although the pursuit began because of the speeding rider.
I still think the rider should do time, but I dont think he should be charged with murder in anyway
I say, excessive speed, police evasion, reckless driving.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm currently in the police academy in NJ, and whether or not an officer breaks off or begins a pursuit varies depending on department policy. Some departments (like mine) have a no pursuit policy, unless a vehicle is wanted for a felony, if they elude, dont chase. Some departments have speed limits for pusuits, I've heard of some as low as 60mph, some of 100mph. Other departments leave the decision up to the officer's discretion. If they feel that the pursuit is reasonable, they can pursue, also many times in pursuit a sergeant will tell the officer to break it off, again all up to department policy.
As far as if this guy knew he was being chased or not, only he will know. I got pulled over last summer while I was ripping down the Parkway, never saw the cop and I know he didnt just come up behind me, other times I've been going faster and seen the cop, luckily they never pulled out. Anyway, it's one of those terrible things that happens, and RIP to the officer.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
kern05rr is right. Most agencies rely on the officers "on scene" observation to determine if the pursuit should be called off. Most state agencies (at least here in NC) will chase regardless of the offense. County agencies are the same way. It isn't until you get to smaller local agencies that pursuits are readily "called off" or turned over to the state. If aircraft are available the pursuit is usually maintained at a "safe" distance. The Trooper was doing his job..... RIP fellow officer.....

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
JeepBoyNY said:
A NY State Trooper is dead because he chased a speeding motorcycle.

Lets discuss!

If any of you happen to be police officers or know the procedures/rules for a high-speed bike chase can you please put up a reply? I think it's incredibly stupid for any police officer to even attempt to continue to try to chase a bike that obviously isn't going to stop. How can anyone with half a brain think that a Ford Crown Vic has any hope whatsoever at safely keeping up with a speeding motorcycle? They were able to find the biker after the Trooper died, so they could have just as easily found him without the 100+mph chase don't you think?

Here's a couple links.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Public_Information/Trooper_Todeschini.cfm

http://www.news10now.com/content/all_news/?ArID=65114&SecID=83

I am in no way condoning high speed on public highways, or looking for tactics to be able to avoid the police. My issue here, is that I believe that the State Trooper made mistakes that resulted in his death. In the news article, the DA says that the speeding motorcycle should not be ignored because it's a danger to the children playing in the community?? What about the 4,000+ pound police car that's also speeding out of control into a tree? Is that a danger? Also...isn't continuing to pursue a bike that obviously isn't going to stop more likely to cause the biker to crash as well as the officer?

Would the officer had crashed into a tree and died that night if the rider had not tried to run?

NO.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I feel like this. If there was no air support and they know they cannot catch him...Forget...there are bigger fish to fry...drug dealers...Rapists....Child Abusers.

Put my tax dollar to work!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
JeepBoyNY said:
I think it's incredibly stupid for any police officer to even attempt to continue to try to chase a bike that obviously isn't going to stop.
OK, let's take a look at this for just a sec... if I were a criminal and knew there was such a policy, don't you think that I'd commit all crimes possible while using a motorcycle as a getaway vehicle? (Obviously, this somewhat limits the crimes I can commit in terms of what I can carry, but) it greatly increases my chances to escape. So now you have an ever growing population of motorcycle riders being criminals (like we don't get a bad enough rap as it is), how soon before people suggest laws banning motorcycles or limiting their speed or ??? I'm sure we all want that, right?

As for the rider's part of the blame? Personally, I think negligent homocide at the very least, but probably higher. Doesn't it automatically become murder if someone is killed in the act of commiting a felony regardless of intent? And isn't running from the cops a felony? Could be just me, but I come down on the side of law enforcement on this one.

As for the rider seeing the cop or not, while I suppose possible, I sort of doubt it.

Being a cop is a thankless job and while we've likely all disliked getting pulled over ourselves at some point, they've got a tough job and we should mourn the man's death. Other than being in the military (another thankless job) can you imagine going to work knowing that something as simple as a traffic stop could get you killed?

You wanted opinions, that's my $0.02.

·
Registered
665 Posts
How can someone fleeing from the police be blamed for the inability of the following officer to puruse safely?

No offense here, I feel bad for the cop dieing as a result of the pursuit, but is the rider at fault? Yeah, it MAY not have happened IF the guy hadn't run - but who really knows.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I feel this could work both ways, if the cop is chasing him for a long time he needs to call off the chase... the longer the chase persist the more risk of something bad happening, right? The cops in this area evidently can pursue motorcycles. My buddy died from this, had cops chase him for 15min at high rate of speeds (dont you think theres a difference in pushing or chasing?) I know the cops are out there for a reason & there just trying to do their job (I do have respect for the cops) but I would like to see both party's go home to their familys at the end of the day!!! I definatly dont recommend running from the cops but somebody should know when to call it quits, Neither want to get killed over a simple ticket so that's when I feel that their should be some kind of limits. Just pull over fellas, it's not worth your life!!
RIP Officer
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42001

N

·
0 Posts
It doesn't matter. A man is dead, a wife is now a widow, and a child will grow up fatherless.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nemesis said:
It doesn't matter. A man is dead, a wife is now a widow, and a child will grow up fatherless.
Exactly.. Another idiot punk on a sport bike giving riders a bad name. You want to drive over 100mph then get on a track. The rider should have crashed not the officer. It's punks like this that make the public not care or watch out for bikers. I hope he gets 10 years in prison and RIP to the officer..

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Wizard said:
Would the officer had crashed into a tree and died that night if the rider had not tried to run?

NO.
there has to be substantial proof that the squiddy was AWARE that he was being chased. otherwise it's only a traffic offense/charges.
two men made mistakes....one paid with his life.

RIP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its reasons like this and putting citizens at risk that most police agencies around the US are not chasing anymore. Why put yourself at risk and god knows how many citizens for a busted tail light or whatever the case may be.

The motorcyclist IMO is at fault here and should be charged. If he would have followed the laws there would have been no chase.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts