Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading that stupid running from cops thread and thought about something that i had a question about that happened this weekend...

on sunday 4 of my cousins were on a 65 mph road, one was in the back and three were ahead. a chp was going the opposite direction past them and flipped a b!tch and pulled all of them over. Everyone pulled over and the police showed them the radar saying they were going 86 in a 65 but he only showed my cousins one shot of the radar. the cousin in the back looked down before the copped flipped it and saw he was going 64 mph.

herese the big question...can a police radar shoot three vehicles at one time??? any one know for sure bc if it does theyre screwed but if it cant, that means only one person is screwed instead of four

help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I seriously doubt radar can take multiple readings at the same time. It would stand to reason that if he radared one person speeding and clearly observed the others at the same pace that they all will get a ticket.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
RADAR guns can barely do a car next to a truck... let alone multiple small targets in close proxy. it'd be jumping back and forth between each target trying to get a fix on one thinking that it is one large object changing speed rapidly. it would probably go from 64 to 86 to 70 back to 64... it just doesn't work.

but a laser gun could easily target one rider because of their precision bracketing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,434 Posts
This ticket should be easily beaten by a good attorney. There's no way he can prove that the radar was specifically targeting any one of you. If there was traffic in close proximity to you then an attorney can argue that the radar would have picked up on the larger surface area of the truck or car. I my experiences with radar on this bike is that it has a very hard time even registering. We have mobile radar stations posted and many times I can ride right by without it even seeing me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info soup nazi...everyone else too...ima see what i can do to stop this from being on their record
 

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
I didnt think they could radar or laser you going the opposite direction? I got pulled over once and the cop refused to show me the radar gun. I told him it was my right to see it, and he said he didnt want to show me cause I might throw it on the ground?!?! LOL. He was just full of bs and probably didnt even radar me. The ticket ended up getting dropped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
if they are going the opposite directioin... and still running, would it still be accurate?

if you guys were going 50mph and the cops were going the opposite direction in 40mph...... wouldn't the speed thing says 90mph?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JMO said:
I didnt think they could radar or laser you going the opposite direction? I got pulled over once and the cop refused to show me the radar gun. I told him it was my right to see it, and he said he didnt want to show me cause I might throw it on the ground?!?! LOL. He was just full of bs and probably didnt even radar me. The ticket ended up getting dropped.
wow good stuff but can anyone help prove this...i know that cops have radar in their trunk due to a co workers experience, the cop showed them the radar in the trunk bc they were the first one he pulled over with it and they didnt know how he radared them...but yea anyone able to prove it?? its 800 dollars worth of tickets here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mascu said:
if they are going the opposite directioin... and still running, would it still be accurate?

if you guys were going 50mph and the cops were going the opposite direction in 40mph...... wouldn't the speed thing says 90mph?
no it wouldnt bc if you were going 110 and the cop behind was going 100 it wouldnt say 10 mph
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
NewRedRider said:
In my experiences with radar on this bike is that it has a very hard time even registering. We have mobile radar stations posted and many times I can ride right by without it even seeing me.
i don't seem to have this issue with the mobile speed traps stations around here. It's when I'm in front of another vehicle (regardless of proxy) that i start to have problems. it jumps between me and the car behind me and that difference has been shown to be at least 25mph difference. both vehicles are traveling at 25-30MPH, but the MST would switch between 25-60 mph, just because it was reading the car at 25, then picked me up a spit second later and thought i was the car!

i've had no problems when I'm on my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
mascu said:
if they are going the opposite directioin... and still running, would it still be accurate?

if you guys were going 50mph and the cops were going the opposite direction in 40mph...... wouldn't the speed thing says 90mph?
RADAR/LIDAR units that are installed in vehicles are also hooked up to the vehicle's speedometer - the computer does the math automatically, and yes, it does work in both directions. The control module allows the operator to select which antenna (front/rear systems) and mode (stationary, same direction, opposite directions, etc.). The only way a RADAR/LIDAR unit does not work (to the best of my knowledge and understanding - if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me) is a rear antenna taking a non-stationary, same-direction reading (i.e. LEO travelling down the highway and you're following him).
Handheld units, on the other hand, must be stationary to get an accurate reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
peanut said:
RADAR/LIDAR units that are installed in vehicles are also hooked up to the vehicle's speedometer - the computer does the math automatically, and yes, it does work in both directions. The control module allows the operator to select which antenna (front/rear systems) and mode (stationary, same direction, opposite directions, etc.). The only way a RADAR/LIDAR unit does not work (to the best of my knowledge and understanding - if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me) is a rear antenna taking a non-stationary, same-direction reading (i.e. LEO travelling down the highway and you're following him).
Handheld units, on the other hand, must be stationary to get an accurate reading.
Pretty accurate description. If both vehicles are traveling in the same direction then the vehicle can be "paced". In NC the radar/laser is to "confirm" the officers estimate of your speed. It is possible for four citations to be issued to four separate vehicles if the vehicles are traveling together and at the same "pace". If I were your friends I would hire an attorney.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
well that's just the thing, the radar wasn't accurate enough due to the target skipping, and a laser wasn't used if the only time the squad car stopped was to get out of the vehicle to chew them a new bung-hole...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
HONAGSTER said:
on sunday 4 of my cousins were on a 65 mph road, one was in the back and three were ahead. a chp was going the opposite direction past them and flipped a b!tch and pulled all of them over. Everyone pulled over and the police showed them the radar saying they were going 86 in a 65 but he only showed my cousins one shot of the radar. the cousin in the back looked down before the copped flipped it and saw he was going 64 mph.

help!!

This is why you never pull over as a group. Learned that lesson the hard way myself.
 

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
Joined
·
2,926 Posts
again im only stating NY state..

with radar if im behind someone i can not get a read on them.. however im certified in NYS to issue tickets based on pacing the car in front of me.

also im certified in NY to issue tickets based on speed estimation, ive taken radar courses and im certifid for speed guesstimation within 3 mph and i can write tickets based on that..

also if im traveling in the opposite direction i can get vehicles on radar as they come towards me.
if im sitting stationary i can get vehicles speeds as they approach and go away from me.

I have also had motorcycles come at me while im movind and i have gotten multiple reading on all the motorcycles. granted they come up very fast on my radar but i still get reads on all of them.. again though, if i get a read on one of them, i could issue all of them becuause they are traveling at the same speed.

as far as showing the speeder the radar, in NY that i do not have to do, since im signing the ticekt that im issuing, im documenting that i certify the speed, so there is no reason to show the radar to the speeder, besides i would never let someone into the front seat of my patrol vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
cbrkid11 said:
as far as showing the speeder the radar, in NY that i do not have to do, since im signing the ticekt that im issuing, im documenting that i certify the speed, so there is no reason to show the radar to the speeder, besides i would never let someone into the front seat of my patrol vehicle.
That would be about the time the warrants came back on him and your MDT would be going crazy!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top