Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm relatively new to 600rr.net. i read more than i post, but just thought i'd share and ask for opinions for improvement. So hi and any feedback would be appreciated! :hello: :beer:

Some use the term GFCP (go-fast-crack-pipe)….this is the GFIN (go-fast-intervenes needle – copyright Matthew Leech - roomate)…and I shot it up and now I’m hooked. This was an enlightening experience and I can’t wait to improve and learn more with more track days to come as soon as the funds can be found.

I’ve been contemplating signing up for a motorcycle track-day for a while. I’ve done four weekends of HPDE’s with the car through NASA and I knew I’d eventually hit the track with the bike after a substantial amount of street riding to familiarize myself with the (what was then) new bike and riding in general since I just started riding in August of last year. I stumbled upon NESBA’s introduction session where you could ‘try out’ the track free of charge. This fee was exactly what I was looking for, so I signed up for the September event in a sporadic moment I had while at work. I knew Jefferson was a short, technical low-speed (relatively) course that would be optimum for learning so I was hoping for the best.

Fast forward to the day of the event:
I wasn’t sure how the day would turn out since all night and the morning was filled with threats of rain. After reading through the NESBA manual I knew that if it wasn’t down pouring they were probably going to run the event anyway. Luckily after the advanced and intermediate groups had their sessions a nice dry line was extended out to cover most of the track with dry pavement.

First session: groups of riders separated by control riders as usual. I’ve never been on Jefferson so I take my time to learn the turns and potential track position for the best line to take. The pace is slow and the riders are compacted. After a few laps it starts to pick up a bit and I’m able to open is up. I can still feel the rear tire come out in the back S’s after the “bus stop” and the front is pushing a little through the last turn before the back straight, so I take it easy for a few more laps to get the tires warmer. I’ve never really been able to push my bike since I never really liked the idea of doing this on the street so (again) it’s a new feeling that I’m getting used to. I take the first of the two sessions to get used to the bike at speed. Overall the first session was good, although I was hoping to be a little less crowded for the second session.

Second session:
I was eager to improve my technique and find the faster line. The beginning of this session was great. I was sent out in one of the first groups so I had some space to work with. After a lap I crack it open a little more than the first session. I can feel the bike leaning, but as I’m focused on the track in front of me I notice that the speed of the people in front of me is inconsistent through the turns and I catch up quickly. I’m not leaning off the bike as I’ve done before on the street, and I’m pretty sure it was because I just wasn’t comfortable with the bike on-track at speed yet, either way I’m finding myself keeping up with the control rider nicely and finding a better line.
I didn’t feel that I rode well however and some of the pictures that were taken confirm this. I’ve determined that I really need to focus on getting off the bike and moving my weight to drive the bike into and out of the turn. I’m leaning the bike over, but from the pictures it appears that I’m working against the bike when turning. This short session showed me that I have a LOT to learn about the correct riding posture, gaining confidence in the lean while off the bike, and to space myself from the other students when trying to achieve my goals on the track. I’m hoping to attend a Cornerspeed school in the Spring as well as Keith Code’s California Superbike School at VIR for some good instruction.

If you read all that you’re a trooper, thanks for looking.

A BIG thanks to:
Matt (roommate) for helping me with the logistics of getting the bike there and for the pictures! And to Paul for letting me borrow your trailer!

CLIFF NOTES:
First track session ever.
I have a lot to learn.
I had a lot of fun and I should just set up a direct deposit account with a performance motorcycle school because….

…I’m hooked…

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds good man. Congrats on your first track experience. It only gets more expensive from here on out! Looks like your dragging your toe in the last picture... Remember to kiss the mirror on your way out!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
sounds like a good time! yeah, worse than crack...I can't get enough. I try for 1 trackday a month and that seems like too little...

Glad you enjoyed your first.

funny, same car setup:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
nope. mine was a hitch I bought from hitchmart.com for $140. took me 15 mintues to bolt it up to existing holes in the frame.

its a Hidden Hitch brand.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
tracks are fun! That one looks a little dangerous. LOL, all I can see in that one picture is the nicely placed telephone pole!

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
noice pics looks like you had fun ...hand i love how you titled this thread haha

·
Registered
484 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Sounds good man. Congrats on your first track experience. It only gets more expensive from here on out! Looks like your dragging your toe in the last picture... Remember to kiss the mirror on your way out!
+1, Move those toes up, remember you want to be on you balls(not sure how you call it), rear break si worthless for noobie anyway, need to hang off, open that leg. I am not criticising your style, just trying to help. You will get there.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
alrova said:
+1, Move those toes up, remember you want to be on you balls(not sure how you call it), rear break si worthless for noobie anyway, need to hang off, open that leg. I am not criticising your style, just trying to help. You will get there.
oh i'm looking for all the advice i can get. after talking with an instructor and a few other people i'm realizing how bad it is to lean the bike that much without leaning the body. I've gotten some really good feedback on how to place my foot position and advice to get my ass off the seat. Thanks!

pantablo said:
nope. mine was a hitch I bought from hitchmart.com for $140. took me 15 mintues to bolt it up to existing holes in the frame.

its a Hidden Hitch brand.
i actually have the exact same brand. i had to take off the rear bumper, but it took me just as long to install. Very easy and relatively cheap.

Eazy E said:
tracks are fun! That one looks a little dangerous. LOL, all I can see in that one picture is the nicely placed telephone pole!
haha, it's REALLY inside of the turn and i never really noticed it until you mentioned something.

Thanks for the reply guys, i'm looking forward to next year as i'm going to saftey-wire the bike sometime this winter and hopefully buy a trailer soon. I was aiming for another track day in late october, but depending on funds and the weather i might be waiting to just start next year. I'll need more track time to work on my form and get comfortable on-track with the bike.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Eazy E said:
I saw the same thing with the pole on the left side of the picture...

Anyways. Tracks are sooo much fun. Glad you got out and now have a feel for it. Wait till you do a full day. You think you're hooked now???

Something on form that might help. When you hang off the bike relax your arms and let the outside arm rest on the tank and keep you inside elbow relaxed and your forearm parallel with the ground. When you relax you arms you can feel a lot more through the bars and you will take undue pressure off the front tire. For the first time out you look really good.

Congrats and hope you make it back out soon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sijray21 said:
i actually have the exact same brand. i had to take off the rear bumper, but it took me just as long to install. Very easy and relatively cheap.
take off the bumper? you mean to get access to the nut that goes inside the frame? If thats the case I just used the wire that came attached to the nut (thats what its for). I didnt have to take off anything, at all. and it took you 15 minutes WITH taking the bumper off? wow.

anyway, cool!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
pantablo said:
take off the bumper? you mean to get access to the nut that goes inside the frame? If thats the case I just used the wire that came attached to the nut (thats what its for). I didnt have to take off anything, at all. and it took you 15 minutes WITH taking the bumper off? wow.
i tried using the wire that came with the kit, but i had a difficult time so i decided to take off the rear bumper cover. the 15-20 minutes was just for the hitch install without counting the bumper removal and installation (that took a little while). The hitch is awesome though. The first time towing anything and it was a good experience (yes i was paranoid of the bike falling off or something going wrong at first).

The teg turned out to be a great transport vehicle!

i saw in another thread on here that a lot of RR owners have tegs so if you're looking for a hitch to tow your bike i recommend this one!

as for riding technique, i was told to set the body position before the turn, place the weight on the inside peg as close to the frame as possible when turning in, then shift the weight to the outside peg upon accelleration out of the turn to stick that rear tire. Does that sound about right? I was also told to hold the throttle like a screw driver to help with the smooth on/off transition before/after the turn. I'm going to change my footing on the bike first (placing it more toward the body of the bike, keeping the balls of the feet on the pegs) and then decide if i need rear sets or not.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good to se you had a good time bro!! Welcome to the addiction! Now, if you don't mind I am going to give you some freindly advice on your riding style. Just by going off the last pic....

1. Try placing the balls of your feet on the peg. Atleast the inside peg. that will keep you from dragging your toes.

2. Get off the bike more. Looks like you got only half of one butt cheek off. Get the whole thing off. This way you will be able to turn faster and still maintain more contact patch which results in better grip and tire wear.

3. Get your upper body lower. Bring your torso around the tank and point your head where your miror used to be. By doing this it will reduce windbreak, and will align your body with the bike.

Just these few things will greatly increase your riding skill. Hope you take this in a good way. I always like to try and help out and see others improve without having to make the same mistakes I have made in the past. One last question... Did you get your suspension set up or are you running stock setup??

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LDROWN said:
Just these few things will greatly increase your riding skill. Hope you take this in a good way. I always like to try and help out and see others improve without having to make the same mistakes I have made in the past. One last question... Did you get your suspension set up or are you running stock setup??
thanks man! yes i'll definitely heed the advice. i just need to keep telling myself that as i'm riding to develop the good habit. I'm hoping i can gain that confidence to lean over more by or during my next track session(s).

the suspension set-up are all stock parts but i tuned them to these specs:
http://600rr.us/suspension.html

i know it's not custom for my height/weight (6'1" and 190lbs), but i figured it was better than leaving it where it was (set by previous owner). I'm not really sure exactly how each adjustment will feel while i'm riding the bike, so i'm reading more about it. I'm still half-way through reading Twist-of-the-Wrist II by Keith Code.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sijray21 said:
thanks man! yes i'll definitely heed the advice. i just need to keep telling myself that as i'm riding to develop the good habit. I'm hoping i can gain that confidence to lean over more by or during my next track session(s).

the suspension set-up are all stock parts but i tuned them to these specs:
http://600rr.us/suspension.html

i know it's not custom for my height/weight (6'1" and 190lbs), but i figured it was better than leaving it where it was (set by previous owner). I'm not really sure exactly how each adjustment will feel while i'm riding the bike, so i'm reading more about it. I'm still half-way through reading Twist-of-the-Wrist II by Keith Code.
Yeah see you are might size. That stock stuff will hold you for a alittle while, but once you start picking up the pace, you will have to get the forks reworked and a rear shock. I would suggest doing that now. That way you don't have to find out the hard way when you "do" need to upgrade. If you got the money, go for it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just another person welcoming you to the addiction. I agree with getting the suspension done as soon as you can. Hello fun, goodbye money. But it's nothing plastic can't take care of.

·
Registered
461 Posts
grats sounds like a great learning experience...whoever said learning couldn't be fun??? :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
not to go off subject, but, how was it towing in a integra? pretty slow, hows the ride? and the strength and stability? cuz now that i've seen this, maybe i can use my four door integra to tow my bike instead of looking a a truck and go nuts on gas...i thought it'd be impossible, but then again my GSR is turboed, might be fit for it haha...

·
Registered
968 Posts
great post, i'm stilling waiting for my first track day. Just no funds atm for the suit, booots and gloves =\ Next year hopefully.

btw, def get ur suspension tuned. atm, i do only street riding but it made a world of a difference for my height/weight. At my place its only $35 for the tune, i'd think that would be the same price or close else where.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts