Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2009 zx6r Kawi or 600rr Honda today. I've been hearing a lot of buzz over the new updated zx6r's, but I owned the 2007 version, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Has any of you ridden on both bikes? Is there a real difference? The Honda dealership offered me $9500 OTD, but the lending company has stated that the bike is worth $9000, and they will not lend more than the value of the bike. Being that the 2010 models will be released soon after they get rid of some of the 2009 stock (or so I heard), what OTD prices have you guys been getting recently?

Also, I've heard that Honda's are more reliable and need less maintenance, but where can I find facts that backs this claim up?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My buddy just bought a 09 or 10 zx6r I couldn't tell you, but he has nothing but complaints about it. He says the chassis is wierd and he is constantly tinkering with the suspension to compensate for bad chassis feel, his lap times have dropped along with his confidence. He bought the bike to replace his outdated 05 or 06 cbr600rr, but is now questioning his decision. He has also said his cbr pulled much harder over the whole rev range, he was saying the kawi felt gutless. I have also heard great things about the new zx6r, but I don't personally know the guys that write the articles in the magazines. But to wrap it up what I'm trying to convey is that he went from blistering fast to fast, and maybe he will be whistling a different tune when he gets his lap times back down, but as of now he is a bit unsatisfied.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I havent rode the new zx6rs but I hear keep hearing good things about it. Personally, I dont track so I would choose the RR since its more comfortable for commuting and it fits me better. Why dont you take them both out for a test ride?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Personally, I'd take the Kawi over the CBR (blasphemy?) only b/c I've heard amazing things about it not only from owners, but from reviews as well. It's also the most powerful 600 in the lineup pushing out around 107whp stock. Plus, it looks better than previous zx6r's too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In 2007, when Honda came out with the redesigned CBR 600, it was easily the best of the middleweights.

Since Kawasaki redesigned the ZX-6 in 2009, it is a match for the CBR, and in some ways better.

Honda lost about six or seven horsepower with the modifications to meet noise regulations in 2009, although they managed to maintain the excellent midrange. However the Kawi has the better motor of the two, with a good midrange and more overall power

The Honda is going to be a bit more comfortable with slightly more friendly ergonomics.

Handling is a crap shoot. Some reviewers love the big piston front fork on the Kawi, while others prefer the handling of the Honda. From what I have read, the Honda still has the edge in the suspension department. The Kawi needed a bit more adjustment to get it to suit some riders. The Honda's suspension is superb for a stock set up.

Both are excellent bikes, but the last two shootouts I have read put the Kawi on top. If Honda had not made the change for noise regulations that cost the engine some top end power, I think it may have been a different outcome.

The Kawi has a slipper clutch which the Honda does not. I would like to have had one on my CBR, but not at the expense of having to add it on as an aftermarket piece.

The best ABS brake system ever developed for a motorcycle on the street is available on the CBR for about a thousand dollars more if you are so inclined.

I would probably look hard at the Kawi if I were buying a new 2010.

Fo what it's worth, I have a 2007 CBR 600 and could not be happier with my choice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
go with honda. the zx6r is good mabye faster but if you dont track it then you will want to ride with the most comfort.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The price your Honda shop is offering you had better be on an ABS model and even then it is overpriced.
A few on the board here have gotten 09 ABS and Non ABS in the low to mid 8K range just recently. Don't let the dealer snowball you into a bad deal. He needs to clear out the stock that has been sitting there since a year ago.
Beat him down, and if he is not willing to budge find a better dealer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The price your Honda shop is offering you had better be on an ABS model and even then it is overpriced.
A few on the board here have gotten 09 ABS and Non ABS in the low to mid 8K range just recently. Don't let the dealer snowball you into a bad deal. He needs to clear out the stock that has been sitting there since a year ago.
Beat him down, and if he is not willing to budge find a better dealer.
:+1: (10 char..........)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts