Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beer: does the body good
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I'm not to sure whats up but i'm out of ideas of why my bike wont start. More or less I came back from a ride last night and the engine would not start. The starter was kicking but the engine was just not starting. I thought it was a flooded engine, but the headlights are not on, the console back-light is dead, and the front turn signals are dead also. I checked the battery and the fuses but they looked alright.

I have an 05 CBR 600 RR. It has LED front and rears turn signals and led plate light. Outside of that there are no other electrical/mechanical mods. The mileage is approximately 17000km.

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be great!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You have a big problem. The battery is good cause the starter is working but no headlights, turnsignals or cluster?? Then there are a lot of things that will need to be checked out.

First... do you have a volt meter?

Second, I don't know if having the mark of Satan in your user name is cool, but You may want to reconsider. I don't know how Hell with unquenchable fire and weaping and knashing of teeth sounds sounds apealing to anyone but we'll talk more about that later too.

If you don't have a meter... you'll need one and you can find some cheap. Like $10 or so.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey

Thanks for the reply.. I see what you are getting at with the multi-meter. I read-up on a few older threads and have an idea for next steps. I'll most my findings after.

In regards to my user name, I know mine is really makes me sound like some creepy devil lover, but im not. :p I have always liked "666" just for the some of the mathematical relations behind the number itself.

I.E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/666_(number)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
via sig: Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

i hope that clears it up for you...

Let's troubleshoot the starting...
Does the fuel pump prime when you cycle the kill switch with the ignition on?

as for the headlights: Check your fuses first.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, being a Christian, I couldn't just totally let that go. It's not my job to bug people but if you were open enough to use that in your user name, I'd guess that you would then be open to discuss it. No worries.

On the bike: Check out what you can and if you don't get anywhere, let us know.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In any case, I'm not really here to discuss religion or meaning of user names. I just want my bike to work LOL.

I do have a multi-meter!

I have double checked the battery the battery is holding an excellent charge. I didn't check the fuses yet. I thanks the lack of time due to the joys or working in the IT industry.

The fuel pump is attempting to prime nut it just seems like the engine is just doing crap all. I decided to check the some wiring that i did and there was no issue with that. All the joints were taped up and the no bare connections.

I'll try the fuses next. Hopefully that fixes the electrical issue.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update...

1) the battery is good and fully charged.. has a rating of 12.8
2) check the main fuse, FI fuse and the 6 electrical fuses under the left fairing. They are all good too.
3) still no working headlights turn signals or backlight to the console (but everything is displayed).
4) Oil light is on

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
check the kickstand switch? you might have shorted or faulty switch giving it a false neutral.
and there are more fuses under the seat...you check those? the start fuse is there also.

nevermind, jus read the post above...

check the solder connection inside the killswitch?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ok, your headlights and turn signals do not have a common fuse but they do have a common ground. All your grounds are hooked together on the frame near the fuse box on the left side.

First double check the bolt that connects them to the frame.
If that is good, then your green wire from the frame goes to the big blue connector going to the front of the bike. After the blue connector, it goes to cluster, all the lights ( headlights turn signals and the 3rd. eye) the BAS and Headlight relay. I bet your problem is in here cause w/o the ground to the BAS, you get no fuel pump and no starting.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So finally after a couple of crazy weeks I got around to fixing the bike this weekend. It turns out the issue was the tilt sensor wire. Don't ask me how the wire got damaged but once it was replaced it was as good as new! Thank you everyone for all your help!

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So finally after a couple of crazy weeks I got around to fixing the bike this weekend. It turns out the issue was the tilt sensor wire. Don't ask me how the wire got damaged but once it was replaced it was as good as new! Thank you everyone for all your help!
Not it makes me question why i thought the fuel pump was priming.. hmm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this same problem and I found that my blue connector on my main harness shorted out. Non of the wires look burnt just the connector is melted and causing a short I "hope". Where can I look to find the cause of the short?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts