Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got the bike had it about 2 weeks and it just kind of hit me that the bike might have a Idle problem. Best way I can describe it is, when I first start the bike it cams, the bikes idle jumps about 200 rpm then back down like small little revs. I let the bike warm up under idle and it still does it. Now when I ride the bike for about 20 min it stops. Ive tried to turn the Idle adjust screw but it didnt want to turn so I stoped not wanting to break it. Should I take the bike into the shop or just not worry about it?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
taking it that's your bike in the pic. they tend to lope like that from a cold start, especially without a mapped PC3. it will lope even after warm til you crack the throttle once. it's just not as noticable with the stock pipe. and it's normal.

only adjust your idle after the bike is fully warmed up, give it 30 minutes or so. idle should be set at about 1300-1400 RPM's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well that make me feel better, but yeah its cammin like a damn muscle car lol. Which way does the idle screw turn for adjustment, clockwise idle up or down?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome thanks so much for the help Ceph

·
Registered
893 Posts
so do your guys bikes do the fast idle like the f4i or not (im thinking not cuz your guys lope like mine does too)? cuz mine does not and was curious if something was wrong with it... thanks..

lol i guess what im asking is do the rr's have the fast idle feature like the f4is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine doesnt idle fast at start up, it always stays at around 1000 to 1100, but when i first start it it sits there and cams. actually the more I listen to it the better it sounds, lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
sorry for the newbie question, but what do you guys mean by "camming" on startup? i have an 04rr which also doesnt fast idle on startup. however i've started to notice that on initial warm up, i do hear a kind of rattling/tapping sound. not sure if i'm just hearing things. is this what you mean by camming?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
ravydavy said:
sorry for the newbie question, but what do you guys mean by "camming" on startup? i have an 04rr which also doesnt fast idle on startup. however i've started to notice that on initial warm up, i do hear a kind of rattling/tapping sound. not sure if i'm just hearing things. is this what you mean by camming?
If you have ever heard a hot rod make that loping sound when it's at idle, that's what they're talking about. Sorta like a group of turkeys gobling.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The bike just has a loping idle that fluctuates about 250-500 rpm. My 05 is no exception, especially when not fully warmed up.

If memory serves me correctly, turning the idle adjustment clockwise will speed up the idle since it is opening the throttle bodies.

You will hear some tapping when first starting the bike up since it has yet to heat up that oil and get it pushed to the top end. The tapping noise your hearing is the valves against their seat in the cylinder head. After it warms up it should subside but yet still remain somewhat audible. The noise will never completely go away. You must remember you are literally sitting on top of the engine.

The other thing it could possibly be is the cam chain tensioner. I know this was an issue with some of the F4i's but I am not aware of it with the RR's. If that is the case then I would look and see if A.P.E. has a manually adjustable cam chain tensioner. You remove the stock one, put this one on and just barely put pressure on the cam chain. Start the bike, then turn the adjuster in so that it stops tapping and keep going in tiny increments until the idle drops slightly. Then back it off just enough to bring that idle back up. Tighten the lock nut. You cam chain tension is now set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yep thats exactly the tapping i'm hearing onedwn5up. cheers for the explanation. glad i'm just being paranoid!

yeah the cam chain tensioner did go on my old 02 f4i, they were notorious for it. got it replaced for free even though the bike was 6 months out of warranty - great honda service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts