Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno know if this is the case with my bike or not. I seem to remember reading something about the 03 RR models having problems with the rectifier? I may be completely butchering this.

The reason I ask is because I've been having problems with this on and off for the past year and it finally bit me in the ass last night. I was riding around town for about an hour and stopped off at a gas station to refuel. I turned the bike off and did my business, went to start the bike again --- and it wouldn't start. The battery seemed to be fully charged and I got a whine from the FI. But it just wouldn't start. I eventually had to have it push started with the help of a drunken bum (no joke).

This has happened a couple of times before. Same situation, I would be riding for a bit, I would stop, then try to start the bike a moment later, and it would not start properly. Except all the times before, it WOULD start, but it sounded like it was trying its damnedest to do so.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening again? Isn't there a recall on the 03 for this sort of thing? While we're on the subject what other kind of recalls have there been?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
no rectifier recalls the only reacll on the 03 was the rear brake bonjo
or what ever its called the best thing to do is perform a load test on
the battery and basically according to the figures you get will confirm either the battery has damaged cells ie will not hold a charge or its being overcharged by the rectifier causing it to act the way it does and it has been damaged internally & it does not hold the charge its getting from the rectifier i hope this makes sense

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did a bunch of searching and reading on the forums just now. And it seems like I may need to get a new rectifier + heat shield/mount. Possibly get a new battery. Does anyone still have this problem with their 05's?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Problem with the rectifier was on some '03s. I've not run into trouble on mine so far and I have bike #184. Some have bought a rectifier off an '04-05 which seemed to solve the problem. Could be just a crap battery too though. As mentioned, either you have a crap battery that doesn't hold a charge and need a new one or you have a crap battery that doesn't hold a charge caused by a crap rectifier and will need to replace both.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
you also have to take into consideration wheather or not the stater is getting to much motor heat into it, and it may be dragging. Homerjay had starter issues with his. then i had a mouse build a nest on top of mine insulating it very well.

does it only do this on hot start?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ceph said:
you also have to take into consideration wheather or not the stater is getting to much motor heat into it, and it may be dragging. Homerjay had starter issues with his. then i had a mouse build a nest on top of mine insulating it very well.

does it only do this on hot start?

A mouse? Really? Did it chew your wiring?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy gsxr did the same thing. It only happened when he used his kill switch to shut his bike off. Never found out what was the matter with it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So replacing the rectifier with an 05 model and getting a new battery (just to be sure) won't fix my problem?

Ceph said:
if it's only when hot, it's your starter.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is the starter a pain to replace/upgrade? I have no idea how to even begin to go about that...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rectifier, Battery, or Starter??

Hi there,

I am trying to help my brother troubleshoot this "Hot starting problem" on his '03 600 RR. Here is what we have done so far -

Jump starting works flawlessly just as others have stated in previous posts.

I have an '05, when my bros bike would NOT start, we threw the battery from my bike in it and it fired right up, no problem. So we went and bought him a new battery. Hot starting seemerd to be resolved, or at least we thought so for a few days. Battery cost - $110.00

Now since he is having the problem again, I have read other post about not using your high beams so much. I had told my bro to "Always" have your high beams on just for safety purpose to make yourself more visible. Our next test is to have him ride the bike for the next few times and "NOT" use the high beams at all.

Replacing the rectifier -
Some peolpe have stated to replace your rectifier with a '04 or '05 one that the '03 had issues. Just called the stealership, they stated that '03 - '05 all have the same exact part for the rectifier, so not sure if that is a fix that you can rely on.
I am thinking of trying to put my bikes rectifier on my bros bike and test it out, and maybe seeing if his rectifier on my bike causes my bike to behave like his.. Question - Where is the rectifier located at - Can someone let me know how to get to it, or post some pics of it?
Cost of new Rectifier from Stealership - $152. So I do not want to tell my bro to buy a new one unless we know for sure that is what it is, especially since we replaced the battery and already spent $110 and the problem is not solved.

The Starter -

If it is the starter, that would make sense if it got too hot and then would not work. Although like I said earlier, when it would not statrt we swtched batteries and it fired right up. so my thought at this point is that it has to be the rectifier.

Update on 1-20-05 - Problem fixed!!
Since I saw so many posts from others who said to not drive with the brights on on an '03 I told my bro to ride without the brights exclusively and he has not had a problem since!!
So this is what I think is going on here, the '03 the rectifier has sh**y protection from the heat of the headers(no heat shield, my '05 has a pretty beefy heat shield), so if the bike gets too hot, like over 200 and the fan kicks up and the bright lights are on, the recitifier is too hot to operate properly, thus not sending the appropriate charge to the battery, maybe because there is too much draw on the battery because of the brights and the fan being on at the same time or something. Anyways, if you have this "hot starting" problem on an '03, at least try driving excusively with the brights "never" on and I bet you it will solve the problem. Our next step is to try and get an '05 "heat shield" and install it on my bros '03. Then, my guess is that he will be able to ride with his brights on all the time becuase the rectifier will not over heat.

I hope this helps others to narrow down this problem because this was a wierd one!!

Thanks everyone!

T

·
Registered
767 Posts
starter is easy...just know you'll have to remove a radiator hose out the way of some bolts.....its right under yo gas tank...just flip the tank up and use the 40 bottle to hold it up...i changed mine... no dice...goin for new rectifier...and 3rd battery

·
Registered
617 Posts
togles said:
Replacing the rectifier -
Some peolpe have stated to replace your rectifier with a '04 or '05 one that the '03 had issues. Just called the stealership, they stated that '03 - '05 all have the same exact part for the rectifier, so not sure if that is a fix that you can rely on.
I am thinking of trying to put my bikes rectifier on my bros bike and test it out, and maybe seeing if his rectifier on my bike causes my bike to behave like his.. Question - Where is the rectifier located at - Can someone let me know how to get to it, or post some pics of it?
Cost of new Rectifier from Stealership - $152. So I do not want to tell my bro to buy a new one unless we know for sure that is what it is, especially since we replaced the battery and already spent $110 and the problem is not solved.
I replaced the rectifier on my '03 with an '05 rectifier that I bought off of ebay for $50. The seller had excellent feedback and I haven't had any issues so far. I also replaced the battery at the same time and began using a Battery Tender Jr. My RR would be sort of hard to start in the Texas heat but I never had a time when it wouldn't start. It was enough to worry me though. Anyways, don't know what rope your dealership is smoking but there are 2 different part numbers for the different year rectifiers. The '03 is 31600-MEE-003 and the '05 is 316-MEE-872. Go to ronayers.com and look in the microfiche under the wiring harness section and you'll see them. The '05 is shaped slightly different and has the heat shield. The rectifier is directly behind the left side mid fairing.

Check out these threads:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35721&page=2&pp=15
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35621

·
Registered
587 Posts
Seems like everyone is just dying to spend money round here. New batteries, new rectifier, new starter, without ever diagnosing the problem. I think at over $100 a part trial and error is probably not the best solution....

That being said, why not go spend $50 and get a decent multimeter and then just follow this: http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx The pics are of the test being done on an f3, but all the steps should be the same for the 600rr.

The rectifier/regulator can go bad. If it goes bad its usually because it overheats. I know on my f2 the reg/rec went and the plug from the harness was all burnt and melted - found out its a common thing on f2's. One thing that might work, not positive, but if you go to radio shack and buy a little ceramic heatsink or somthing and then just use some thermal paste to glue it on. You shouldnt need to do that, but if its getting too hot (like was stated in one of the threads linked to above) then that should take care of it.

If the charging diagnosis doesnt point out the reg/rec, stator, or battery, then maybe its the starter - like the Ceph mentioned.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts