Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was riding my 2008 cbr600rr and my front end felt real loose to me. When I lean into a turn the handle bars will shoot into that direction and not stay strait and stiff like before.

I will admit ive done wheelies and landed down really hard from time to time could it have damaged my damper?

How can I tell if the damper is the problem?

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
damper will have warning light on gauges if malfunctioning. Sounds more like a fork issue. You may have messed up a fork seal doing wheelies and lost some fork fluid. Could be the tires as well. Steering damper doesn't really even tighten up much until 50 mph or so, so go do 70 mph and turn on it some and see if it doesn't feel stiffer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i guess its not the damper. Took it on the freeway and the steering did tighten up.

If it is seal or lost fluid is that repairable or do I have to replace the forks? What does something like that cost more or less?

If its the tires how can I tell, tread is still in good shape and rear tire is new?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check your tire pressure with a gauge - 36 front 42 rear is pretty much it stock setting wise

an 08 has cartridge forks if memory serves - don't know much about repairs on those - if it's like a std fork seal and oil replacement a shop will usually do that for you for around $200 or so

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
If your bike has the stock OEM qualifiers on it, look for the sides of the front to be worn much more than the middle, with a nice ridge where the chicken strip starts. The qualifier front wears really funny, developing flat spots on the sides of the tires. Makes it turn in horribly, especially on slower tight turns like street corners etc.. My money is on the tires.

If your forks are leaking from a blown fork seal, you will have had fork oil running down your fork leg. It's pretty obvious and the forks will bottom out easily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts