Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup RR riders,
I will be picking up a bike next week and I am torn btwn a GSX-600 (K4) and a CBR 600RR. Don't really care about power, since they are all in the same 600cc league, and not too interested in tracking the bike either. Leaning more towards the RR because of its narrow body/styling and honda's reliability. However, I just have a few questions and was hoping that you guys can shed some light
1) My biggest concern is that I will be starting med. school in Aug, and might have to put the bike in storage for couple of months. Any tips on long-term storage? Is it better for me just to ask someone to start up the bike for me once a week, instead of disconnecting the batt. and draining all the fuell?
2) Should I purchase an extended warranty? Do you guys recommend it?

Thx in advance, look forward to join the RR club. I am from Sol. Cal btw.
Riper

·
Registered
780 Posts
Congrats on your decision to get a bike. Go with the RR and stick with this forum. There's tons of Info here and members are cool.

Anyways...
1) My biggest concern is that I will be starting med. school in Aug, and might have to put the bike in storage for couple of months. Any tips on long-term storage? Is it better for me just to ask someone to start up the bike for me once a week, instead of disconnecting the batt. and draining all the fuell?
2) Should I purchase an extended warranty? Do you guys recommend it?
Code:
Don't have a response for #1.
#2... The extended warranty is an extended warranty for one reason.  The manufacturer only gives a time limit based upon the history of repairs and durability of the bikes (in general).  If they originally warranteed for 5 years, they would be at a lose.  Goes to show that the 1 year warranty provided by Honda means that these bike are not too reliable (However, I'm sure there are members here that have not had any probs in 2 years since the 600RR was released).  To make it short, get the warranty.  It will increase the chances and value of the bike if you want to sell it later cuz It's transferable.
BTW call Bell's Honda (a preferred vendor of this forum).  They've got great prices on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why can't you still ride the bike to med school?

·
Registered
566 Posts
When storing,

1. Make sure bike is clean, with fresh oil in it. Consider a fuel additive.
2. Get bike off the ground, ie stands so that the tyres won't flat spot.
3. Get a good quality battery tender and keep the bike connected to ensure good battery health.

Some people start the bike now and again. I run mine once a week until the fan kicks in. That gets the exhaust hot enough to shift any condensation. However, my race bike simply sits on stands through the winter. Both bikes have battery tenders.

Finally, if you can't decide between the 2 bikes, test ride them both!

Good luck at med school. It's a long path, but worth it in the end

Andy the eye doctor ;-)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't start the bike and let it idle during storage. That will kill the battery quicker. Hook the battery up to a Battery Tender overnight once or twice a month. If you don't have easy access to the bike during storage, remove the battery and do this charge at home. Make sure the fuel tank is FULL and has fuel stabilizer in it during storage. Also change the oil if it's been awhile since the last oil change. If storing for a few months, this is all you need to do. If you store the bike for more than 6 months, put the bike on stands or slip plywood under the tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One more thing if you store it for more than six months, change the oil before you ride. I've heard codensation builds up in the oil. Somone correct me if I'm wrong. Also listen to the people above, use a battery tender, some you can even leave on. They sense when to charge and when to turn off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Carey322 said:
One more thing if you store it for more than six months, change the oil before you ride. I've heard codensation builds up in the oil. Somone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure if it will help any, but it definately wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys....

Thx so much for the reply....that is why I like about this forum, people are always so helpful. As far as storage goes, some people recommend draining the fuel, others recommend filling up the tank and mixing it with some fuel stabilizers. Not really sure what the correct way is, or is there really a corrrect way.....can someone give me some more info on this?

Ripper

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Hey guys....

RRiper said:
Thx so much for the reply....that is why I like about this forum, people are always so helpful. As far as storage goes, some people recommend draining the fuel, others recommend filling up the tank and mixing it with some fuel stabilizers. Not really sure what the correct way is, or is there really a corrrect way.....can someone give me some more info on this?

Ripper
DO NOT DRAIN THE FUEL TANK!!!! Fill it with fuel and add a bottle of fuel stabilizier. Filling the tank prevents condensation from building up.

·
Registered
566 Posts
And the additive helps stop the fuel from "going off" ie it will end up with a lower octane performance. A full tank also stops fuel evaporation coating the inside of the tank in varnish-like goo.

Don't drain the tank.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Both the RR and the GSXR are great machines. Try them both see witch one you feel better on and fits you better. I dont think IMO you can go wrong with either bike.

To what extent can you add mods and still not void the Honda Warranty .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS....

Thank you all for the quick responses. My mind is set, I will go pick one next week. Look forward to joining you all. Thx once again.
Ripper

·
Registered
286 Posts
one question for you RRiper, how come you have to store the bike if you live in sunny SoCal? i mean cant you atleast take out for a spin once a week, if you cant id be more than willing to help you out :bounce:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Why buy one now if it is gonna have to go into long-term storage next month? wait until you actually have time to ride and buy one. hell, buy an '05 or and '06(not knowing exactly how long your are gonna be away from the bike).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts