Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i may buy an 07 CBR600rr
my 2nd one.
however this bike i may buy only has 811 miles on it. Exterior of bike looks great, however i want to know the risks of buying the bike that has been sitting for a while. Guy says that its fuel injected which means no jet problems.
He wanted 5900$ for it but i talked him down to 5500$
is it worth it?
help me out ppl

·
Registered
236 Posts
Things will need to be replaced and serviced. I'd start with changing the tires, all fluids, and the battery may be bad. If it has sat for a really long time there may be corrosion built up. I'd check the interior or the gas tank as well as starting it up and making sure everything fires up.

If its your second bike I'm sure you know what the main things to look for are and 5.5 seems like an okay price point if everything is good to go

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
This has been covered so many times lately it's actually annoying that this keeps coming up every two weeks; please search a bit on this forum before asking every question that comes to mind.

In a nutshell, what was outlined above will get you close: ALL fluids (brake, coolant oil), all filters (air and oil), your battery is definitely **** if it's original, suspect if more than 4 years old, and the OEM tires are crap to begin with and absolutely dangerous by this time (they need to go as soon as you get the bike). Your first bike purchase besides gear needs to be a service manual; NOT an exhaust, NOT flush mounts, NOT a fender eliminator but a service manual, you'll need it.

Rust in the gas tank is your next largest enemy, especially if it was stored without a full tank of fuel, fuel stabilizer, outdoors or somehow in a humid area with lots of temp fluctuations. Take a flashlight and look down and back for floating sediment or rust scale. If you have rust you're looking at a new gas tank (or lining yours, about the same as a nice used tank), new fuel pump and filter and injector cleaning which fyi there are 8 total.

Second level stuff, which is debatable if they need replacing or not, are brake lines and cooling system hoses. Personally while they have a lifespan according the the Honda manual I've used them well past 10 years old without issue and just replaced as needed or time and money allowed but keep the cost of those in mind. Clutch plates could glaze but that's a fairly small chance unless the bike was stored without oil.

All of this is assuming the bike was stored correctly, doesn't need anything else cosmetically and isn't somehow being sold as something it's not. At this age without these bikes being inherently valuable to begin with I get nervous at an 07 with 811 miles on it being exactly that so REALLY look the bike over and run a DMV check to be sure you're not buying a prior salvage 50k mile bike with aftermarket bodywork and a replaced odometer. This bike should be stock, unmolested and clean behind every piece of bodywork.

There is your what to look for, hope it helps.

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
So i may buy an 07 CBR600rr
my 2nd one.
however this bike i may buy only has 811 miles on it. Exterior of bike looks great, however i want to know the risks of buying the bike that has been sitting for a while. Guy says that its fuel injected which means no jet problems.
He wanted 5900$ for it but i talked him down to 5500$
is it worth it?
help me out ppl
If this is your second cbr then you should know is its fuel injected....

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just posted a similar post, I found an 09 with 400 miles...

Basically Tires and fluids, call it a day. The dealer wanted 7k for the 09 I was looking at, so I passed.... For 5.5k I would say that's a hellova deal. Depending on how mint it looks. If it appears to be worn then it is a possibility he reset the miles..

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts