Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

hit a deep pothole last night on the way home at about 60km/hr. pothole appeared out of f*cking nowhere out from underneath the car in front, and now my front wheel rim is slightly buckled.

in terms of riding, the bike feels no different but i've just got safety concerns. gives me the shits cos the bike (600rr) is not even 10 months old with less than 5500km on the clock. if the council would just do their job and maintain public roads properly... don't get me started :evil3:

time for a whole new front wheel do u reckon? any idea of cost? ur thoughts or experiences appreciated

· Registered
1,558 Posts
hey guys

hit a deep pothole last night on the way home at about 60km/hr. pothole appeared out of f*cking nowhere out from underneath the car in front, and now my front wheel rim is slightly buckled.

in terms of riding, the bike feels no different but i've just got safety concerns. gives me the shits cos the bike (600rr) is not even 10 months old with less than 5500km on the clock. if the council would just do their job and maintain public roads properly... don't get me started :evil3:

time for a whole new front wheel do u reckon? any idea of cost? ur thoughts or experiences appreciated
its funny that you say this because i just left a comment on the riding strategies thread about following cars and not seeing potholes ect.. until its too late!

that sux bro, i live in philly where the roads suck, so i feel ya. one of my freinds crashed from the same scenario so it could have been worse for ya! glad your alright and if there are any visible damage (ding, crack, bent ect...) i wouldnt ride on it, or at least no highway riding til you replace it.

BETER SAFE THAN SORRY!!

· Registered
8,613 Posts
hmmm, this would be a good excuse to get some nice wheels as a holiday present for yourself.

i dont think i'd be comfortable having someone tryin to repair it. I would get a new one.... or two ^lol

· Registered
676 Posts
Sucks to hear man. It really depends how bad it is. I have the slightest dent in my rim, it doesn't affect the ride so I never bothered replacing. As long as it holds air and doesnt affect how it rides, i wouldn't bother. It's your call if you feel the need to replace.

You could prob find one on here or ebay for under $200 though.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Sucks, glad it didn't cause you to go down. Buckled how? Dent on side or did it affect the shape of the wheel? If it's bent and not perfectly round, I'd replace it. If it's just the side and doesn't affect the ride, I'd say you're ok.....got pics?

· Registered
1,695 Posts
you can also take it to a frame-straightening shop, if there are any in your area. These shops fix the geometry of any metalwork. For a wheel fix, they will most likely charge less than $100

· Registered
1,040 Posts
You could have it checked. As long as the runout is good and it is still true(no wobble) a bent lip shouldn't cause any problems. My extra front rim has a bent lip and has seen about 2000 track miles and speeds over 150mph with no issues.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are some pics, the black rims make it difficult to see so i took shots from a few different angles. i only posted pics of the right side of the wheel, but for the most part the damage looks identical on the left.

on closer inspection i don't think it's bad as i originally thought, nevertheless, i'd prefer to fork out some cash now than have the front blow out on me at lightspeed.

thanks for all ur feeback gentlemen, appreciate it

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Id have that checked out by a few shops and get a few opinions...better to replace 1 rim than have it blow out through a turn...ie, there goes your whole bike.

· Registered
483 Posts
There are places that can fix that. I had a ding like that once and took it to a guy in the area and he brought it back into spec for $60. It was worth the comfort of knowing the rim is true.

· Registered
197 Posts
dude get a new one. period. who gives a damn if someone's friends brother's cousin does wheelies on **** similar... just repair and be safe. later.

· Premium Member
918 Posts
Is the cost of a new rim really worth the risk? Just get a new one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.