Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to "black out" my 09 as much as possible. My main area of concern is the foot pegs area. I plan on getting the removeable peg assemblies powder coated, but I was wondering about the other areas that are left (highlighted in red in the picture).

Any easy, quality way to get these black?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am dropping my stuff off to be powder coated friday.
When powder coating the engine cover do I need to drain the oil out first?

Imma a noob and going to disassemble everything myself.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tripage (TripageLED.com) can do your pegs and the subframe. I used high temp ceramic paint on my exhaust heat shield. I see your in "NW" Ga. How far are you from Gwinnett Co.?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yes, i strongly suggest disassembling the rears and having them powder coated. it will last a life time! i just got mine done..... off the hook.
How hard is it to disassemble the rears? I'm new to the CBR and trying to figure it all out as I go...

And what exactly are the 'rears' you refer to? Is the silver part under the seat considered part of the rears?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
well I sprayed my subframe flat black to match my pegs that Tripage powdercoated, I just removed the fairings and taped off everything except the part that needed to be painted. And the heat shield, find somebody with an 08 graffiti that has aftermarket exhaust, odds are they have their old heat shields (factory black) laying around and will sell you them cheap or give em to ya! (thats what happen to me)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice, I love the look of that area blacked out. Thanks for the tip, I'll be on the lookout for a black heat shield...

well I sprayed my subframe flat black to match my pegs that Tripage powdercoated, I just removed the fairings and taped off everything except the part that needed to be painted. And the heat shield, find somebody with an 08 graffiti that has aftermarket exhaust, odds are they have their old heat shields (factory black) laying around and will sell you them cheap or give em to ya! (thats what happen to me)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in Dalton, can get to Gwinnett in about an hour...
Cool, welcome aboard fellow Georgian. To answer your earlier question...the rear passenger "pegs" are easy to remove, just two bolts. They're attached to the "subframe" which isn't quite as easy to remove. Your rearsets, are a little harder than the passenger pegs to remove but not difficult. Check out the "How To" section and get a Service Manual. Those will both teach you a lot as well as saving you money by teaching you to DIY.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, welcome aboard fellow Georgian. To answer your earlier question...the rear passenger "pegs" are easy to remove, just two bolts. They're attached to the "subframe" which isn't quite as easy to remove. Your rearsets, are a little harder than the passenger pegs to remove but not difficult. Check out the "How To" section and get a Service Manual. Those will both teach you a lot as well as saving you money by teaching you to DIY.
Thanks for the info! Learning new stuff about my 600 every day!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i wouldnt ship out anything to get powdercoated especially a subframe. find a local shop to do it. shipping will be expensive. my bike is actually still apart because i just blacked out everything on mine. again don't by a new heat shield for $20 when you can go to kragen and get VHT high temp paint for $8. paint the shields and powder coat everything else.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Our prices are competitive with your local powder coating place including shipping and turn around time. acetylcysteine received a subframe already powder coated so he had zero down time while replacing it. T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, thanks for that, T. Received the powdercoated subframe (excellent work, btw) in the morning, had my stock subframe removed and the powdercoated subframe installed in the afternoon, with enough time to repack and return the same day.

Shipping was really not that expensive. It is worth it to me to spend the extra money and have it done right the first time. I read so many posts about people using spray paint to paint components on their bikes. Maybe they do a better job than I would, but I'd say that most of the time you can tell a homemade paint job from a professional one. I know some people don't have spare cash for 'professional' work, but for me I'd rather leave it how it is than have something that looks like it was sprayed on with a can of paint. Just my opinion...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts