Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice here from anyone who has had their gear shift linkage powder coated.

I took my rearsets, passenger pegs and gear shift linkage down to get powder coated the other day. The guy didn't manage to cover off all the bolt holes properly and now one of the bolts on my brake lever isn't going through the hole (the bolts weren't pc'd). :banghead:

The more worrying thing is that I can't get the grooves on the top part of my gear shift linkage back on the shaft attached to the bike. A small amount of the pc has managed to get in this area and it seems as though it's just made the hole/grooves slightly smaller. I don't really want to force it on, for fear of damaging the bike. Has anybody experienced this problem? Should I hammer away at it like a ham fisted fool or do I need to buy a new gear shift linkage just to replace the top part?

I was going to post some pics to show what I was on about but my computer isn't letting me upload pics today for some reason!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
DO NOT HIT THE KNUCKLE ON THE BIKE.... It will damage the parts on the inside.. Get something with some some hard bristles and try and get off the extra powder on the inside of the knuckle.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I managed to get the powder out by taking the worlds thinnest drill bit (it was the best I had), lightly running it into the grooves and around the outer edge of the hole. It didn't damage the grooves, only took the powder off the places I needed to, and now the knuckle fits.

...Better that than my knuckles needing to fit the powdercoating guy's face! (He's actually a really nice guy).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts