Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some parts powdercoated, and I have a choice of either going to a local powdercoating place that might not do a good job, or sending it out to one of the pros on this site. I ride every day and would hate the fact of not riding for a week or more. plus the shipping costs might be as much as getting the parts powdercoated.

I was thinking of just having the local shop do a small part to see the quality. Then decide if they should do the rest of the bike.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think u should hurry up and do it so we can do our parts togethor.

i'm getting some asv's too. my front brake lever broke in my hand yesterday...

·
Registered
646 Posts
since my bike isn't running anyway, i might just send it off to just2easy to do my rearsets, think i'll save my swingarm for later

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
When you are considering a local place doing your parts for you you also have to look at this.
Do they want you to take the parts apart? Pegs foot brackets removed etc.
Swingarm, bearings removed, Cost money to put them back in.
If you can get your swingarm done for $25-$30 go for it. Not trying to sway your decision but you have to look at these things when deciding. Is it worth your time to do these things for that company to spray and coat. T

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I worked at a powder coating shop for 3 years when I lived in Sarasota, and now that I live in Orlando, Tripage is getting my stuff. He just finished my LED pegs and I should get them soon. I have seen his work and is is great and shipping really is not that much. I recommend using the postal service for smaller items and in-state items. UPS should only be used for heavy stuff. Besides the postal service gives away boxes for priority use and they have flat rate fees for some boxes. Also keep in mind what you are getting coated and if you need any grinding done. If you can do it before-hand it would save a little time.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Was going to comment on your DA skills on the pegs. They look great. T

I worked at a powder coating shop for 3 years when I lived in Sarasota, and now that I live in Orlando, Tripage is getting my stuff. He just finished my LED pegs and I should get them soon. I have seen his work and is is great and shipping really is not that much. I recommend using the postal service for smaller items and in-state items. UPS should only be used for heavy stuff. Besides the postal service gives away boxes for priority use and they have flat rate fees for some boxes. Also keep in mind what you are getting coated and if you need any grinding done. If you can do it before-hand it would save a little time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The sanding was not as good as I wanted but I travel alot so I ran out of time. Oh, and that was cut with a hacksaw, and sanded by hand. I have no tools.

D

·
0 Posts
When you are considering a local place doing your parts for you you also have to look at this.
Do they want you to take the parts apart? Pegs foot brackets removed etc.
Swingarm, bearings removed, Cost money to put them back in.
If you can get your swingarm done for $25-$30 go for it. Not trying to sway your decision but you have to look at these things when deciding. Is it worth your time to do these things for that company to spray and coat. T
It's also a good idea to take a look at stuff they are currently doing in their shop, and their equipment. Last time I had a local shop powdercoat something for me (1973 Triumph frame), everything was so poorly done, he had to redo it all about 7 times, of which the same faults where there and he wanted to still charge for the additional work until the last time the stuff was delivered with brush strokes and paint runs on it. Turns out the building he took orders from was nowhere near his shop, which turned out to be a garage, a few heat lamps, and various cans of paint and a $20 Craftsman sandblaster. Everything in the showroom was bought and not done by him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts