Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished filling and fairing the bodywork for my track bike... I'm gonna take it in to a local paint shop and want to have the prep done... so Question: How fine do I sand? 80? 100? 150? 220?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use a 350 to take the old stuff off, then put a coat of primer on. After that first layer of primer I wetsand 800. I then put on my first color coat, and wetsand with 1500, then the second and third coats go on. After they dry about 4 coats of clear makes its nice and shiney.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, but i'm not painting it, i'm giving it to an automotive paint shop... what will THEY need... keep in mind it's a track bike; Good From Far and Far From Good is what i'm after, i just want it sanded so the paint sticks...

·
Registered
337 Posts
use the 350 then, they'll take care of the rest. And give it a good mineral oil or aceton bath to get all the grease and dust off....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
350? yikes! i guess the automotive stuff must be really thin paint... when i paint my boat they don't want you to go any finer than 150 or you won't have enough mechanical grip for the paint to stick!

·
Registered
769 Posts
what condition are the parts in? ... if you repaired any spots...I'd throw a good layer of primer on there and then wet sand it down with 400.....if there isn't any repairs... you can either sand with 400 or 600...or lightly scuff it with a 3m scotchbite pad

·
Registered
337 Posts
well, it all depends on if your scuffing it up, or taking the layers of paint/dye off the part. I"ve painted dozens of pcs and 350 has given me the best results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts