Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta get my swingarm powdercoated. I need to press the bearings out.

I've never played with bearings before: How are they held in, and how do I get them out in a way that'll let me use them again?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need to remove them!!!!!
The bearings are fine, they can be left in, the oven will not hurt them...

·
Registered
255 Posts
the only reason to take them out it to get a good powdercoat job he right when saying that the bearings will be fine but you have the possiblity of the grease leaking out and ruining the powdercoat ... take them out ...its simple most dirtbike shops will do it at about 10$ a bearing to be taken out and put back in ... so $20 for your swing arm ... its worth it ...

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
If you clean them good enough they will be fine, plus if it does leak when I do it, it leaks in the front of the swingarm where you can't see it. Do what you want, I'm just saying we don't take them out and they turn out fine...
T

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tripage may be on to something. If you leave the bearings clean them and remove the dust seals. Let me warn you they can be easy to damage coming out. If you try to remove have a propane torch handy. It helps to heat the surface to help move them. I removed mine and damaged one but replaced both for piece of mind. If you can do it without removing them go that way it will save you so much head ache. Ask me how I know. Just have the coater cover the complete bearing hole.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, I'll let the cost be the determining factor: if the shop can press them out for cheaper than the time it'd take me to clean them, then I'll have em pressed out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts