Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy took his brand new yamaha R6 to dinner tonight. When he left the key would not work. He locked the bars as always.. Now the key would not work. His girl brought him the spair key and no Joy. Nothing worked.. 2 hours of trying and still nothing.... Any Ideas?????

Other than the obvious answer, "trade it for a Honda..." That was the first thing I told him....

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. it is locked.. he can't get either key to turn it.. They put it in his buddies truck and took it home.. The bike is like 3 weeks old.. WTF....

The key has worked every other time.. but no luck.. Can't imagine that he got something down in it.. Never heard of the key mech just breaking.. Guess he isn't riding with us tommrow... LOL

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
that's the problem with r6's i think..i have 2 buddies one has an 02, and the other an 04 that have the same problem. hopefully they manage to unlock it. patience LOL!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
try WD40 or penetrating oil to loosen it up.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
damn, maybe they didnt sycronise the piano keys in the head lock right

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the same problem with my '01 R6. You have to sit on the bike and then turn the key on, at least that's the trick that works for me. I know it's weird, but give it a try. It works on mine. It used to take me about 20 attempts to get it on before I figured out what worked for me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Thats really weird??! Some times brand new keys have burrs on them still and get hung up on the pins when trying to turn. Trying to force this key to work could bend the burrs around and deform the key. Also, my buddie's R1 has troubles with the ignition, he has to wiggle the key just right (pull in back towards the back of the bike and wiggle side to side) to get it to turn ... maybe its a YAMAHA thing?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
APEX_600RR said:
Thats really weird??! Some times brand new keys have burrs on them still and get hung up on the pins when trying to turn. Trying to force this key to work could bend the burrs around and deform the key. Also, my buddie's R1 has troubles with the ignition, he has to wiggle the key just right (pull in back towards the back of the bike and wiggle side to side) to get it to turn ... maybe its a YAMAHA thing?
well my 98 gixxer had that problem last night! i took me a good 10 minutes to be able to turn the key on! i had to wiggle the bars and the key at the same time and finally it turned on. i guess its time for a new key.

well if its a brand new 06, he should bring it in to the dealer for warranty work!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
used to happen to my cbr600rr too. wd40 took care of that problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts