Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my front sprocket makes a ton of noise. I took off the cover and noticed it kind of seems like the chain is out of line, which is making it get caught on the teeth(this is what makes the loud clicking noise).

So when I was adjusting the wheel alignment, it seems that when the wheel is perfectly aligned, the noise is the loudest. When the wheel is obviously not aligned, the noise goes away and it seems like it spins very smoothly without any hang ups.

I have no idea why it does this. Despite the noise, all the teeth on the sprocket still look good and not too worn out.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Chain have a kink??? Run the tire real slow and see if it's one spot that the chain is binding at. Mark it and do it again. T
Might have to replace the chain.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Make sure you have the right amount of tension/slack in your chain. I think about an inch of free-play is what you want. This could explain why misaligning your wheel could cause the problem to go away, maybe your chain is too loose/tight.

Also, got lube?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's adjusted right for slack, and I lubed it and everything. It makes the click at every link. I do need a new chain pretty soon, it does have some tight spots. But still it doesnt seem like that would cause it at every link.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Tight spot or spots, new chain. Or clean is real good and relube. T

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having chain noise is normal. Are you seeing any noticeable wear to one side of the chain or sprockets? How easy does the rear wheel spin?

·
Registered
310 Posts
How old are the chain and sprockets? Have you ever replaced them? If you did replace them, did you put the front on backwards? If they are old, chances are you may need to replace them. Have any pics?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you want to do a simple check for alignment... Hold a string along the outsides of the sprokets. From front to rear. You'll have to take off the chain. not completely but off of both sprokets. Basically you checking if the face of the rear and the face of the front sproket are parallel with each other. Simple way to see if you're out of line. It isn't perfect but it works.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you changed either of the sprockets or chain to a 520 set-up and left one component on that is 525 you may run into that. Also, the 520 front sprocket has a specific way to be put on. If I remember correctly the inside should be slightly longer than the outside. The stamping should face the outside. The details should be in a 520 How-To somewhere.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tight spots mean it is time for a change. If you have not done the 520 conversion, or if the rear sprocket is worn, time to change all three. Check the How-To section for details on doing all that yourself or pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I think I figured out what's wrong. The bearings on the rear wheel need to be replaced. I think this might be throwing the rear wheel out of line. I just ordered a new bearing set, i'm going to swap it out and see if that helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can check the bearing before getting it changed. There is a how to section or you can get that info from the Service Manual.

I hope the wheel was aligned to begin with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts